This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I work from home so I've got the TV on following the story. Of course, Fox News has botched it and sensationalized the whole thing. CNN has covered it pretty well. The reporter was dating an anchor at the station. The camera man was engaged to a producer at the station. Reporter/camera man were shot at least eight times and the woman being interviewed wasn't hit.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Jon, are we sure? The article says the woman being interviewed was hit in the back and is currently in surgery.
CNN just updated the story. WDBJ originally said she wasn't hit and now they're confirming she was.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I used to work at Westlake Golf & Country Club, which is on 122 and just a few miles away from Bridgewater. I can tell you that NO ONE is at Bridgewater at 6:45 in the morning.

Every time I watch this video, I get chills all over. This is one of the craziest/saddest things to happen in our community.
By fan00
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I work from home so I've got the TV on following the story. Of course, Fox News has botched it and sensationalized the whole thing. CNN has covered it pretty well. The reporter was dating an anchor at the station. The camera man was engaged to a producer at the station. Reporter/camera man were shot at least eight times and the woman being interviewed wasn't hit.
One of my friends took Allison, the reporter, to several of his dances when he was at VMI. While I am not sure of all of the details, the way I heard the story was that the camera man and reporter that were shot had recently gotten engaged to each other, but both had also dated people from the station in the past. Like I said, I could have misunderstood the situation/relationships, but sounds like it may have been someone they knew. Either way, so sad!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
fan00 wrote:While I am not sure of all of the details, the way I heard the story was that the camera man and reporter that were shot had recently gotten engaged to each other, but both had also dated people from the station in the past. Like I said, I could have misunderstood the situation/relationships, but sounds like it may have been someone they knew.
That's how Fox reported it any they were wrong. Camera guy was engaged to a producer. Reporter was dating an anchor.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
What I can't figure out is where in the video is he screenshot now being circulated of the suspect brandishing the gun moments after firing? I'm seeing that photo on several news websites (No TV; I'm at work.), and I can't pinpoint it.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:What I can't figure out is where in the video is he screenshot now being circulated of the suspect brandishing the gun moments after firing? I'm seeing that photo on several news websites (No TV; I'm at work.), and I can't pinpoint it.
My guess is the newsroom found that on the feed after the immediately cut away from the shot. It probably wasn't in the video that's circulating.
SuperJon wrote:The suspect is former WDBJ reporter Bryce Williams. He actually filmed the shooting with a GoPro and posted it to Twitter/Facebook.
Where did you find that? This whole thing is sickening.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If they can capture this guy alive, I will be amazed and the cops who pull it off should get the highest commendations possible. More likely it will end in SBC (and that doesn´t refer to a rinky-dink FBS conference).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JakeP50 wrote:Just heard from multiple sources on twitter that the shooter killed himself. What a freaking coward.

At least he had the guts to do it himself instead of making LE do it for him, which is what I was expecting.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:It was always going to end in suicide or suicide by cop. That's how these things always play out.
That was his plan without a doubt. There have been a few cases where LE has been able to get one of these guys alive to face justice, but it´s pretty rare.
By fan00
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:The suspect is former WDBJ reporter Bryce Williams. He actually filmed the shooting with a GoPro and posted it to Twitter/Facebook.
Who is the "Vester Lee Flanagan" all of the news outlets are calling the suspect?
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]