This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Purple Haize wrote:Oh. It could happen. We DO have a law school you know
I wasn't joking. Many schools, including Liberty, have copyrighted their initials for "brand protection." Liberty sent a "cease and desist" letter to Longwood.

I have mixed thoughts on the issue. When schools are not vigorous in their protection of their identity, they stand a serious chance of losing their ability to control (and monetize) their "brand." This is why The University of Arizona went after Appomattox County High School to stop the usage of a similar "a" logo.

Liberty, for a brief time, STOPPED using the monicker "LU" citing it's "generic nature." That is, of course, until we registered it ourselves.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/univers ... o/23418812

http://trademark.markify.com/trademark- ... ity/425648
Not so much. No one outside of Central Virginia has ever heard of LC. We changed the name as part of the "I Love America" rallies that Doc holding around the name around our nation's Bicentennial. Liberty fit the theme and sounded much bigger time than a Baptist school in a small town.
If it changes to anything U of L I am disassociating with the school. Their primary color is red, and a school named U of L. It would be treasonous as a Kentucky fan to associate with that school. If not for that I literally would not care at all if they go university or not or change their name or not.

I'd put University of Lynchburg on my resume to avoid any snafus with that, but that's as far as my association would go. I'm sure they probably don't give a crap though, the only time they ever "care" about their alumni is when it's asking us to donate or when they need new bragging material about the school.

But for them to even suggest LU is more indication of how the administration at that school is growing more incompetent by the day.
Sly Fox wrote:Not so much. No one outside of Central Virginia has ever heard of LC. We changed the name as part of the "I Love America" rallies that Doc holding around the name around our nation's Bicentennial. Liberty fit the theme and sounded much bigger time than a Baptist school in a small town.
As someone who was there at the time, my recollection is that in fact confusion with LC was a big factor in the decision to change the name. Liberty was chosen because of the heavy patriotic emphasis we had at the time, but it wasn´t the reason for the change. While I agree Lynchburg College isn´t exactly a national brand, considering about half their student body is from New Jersey, I do believe they are known outside the area in some quarters.
I always heard it had something to do with someone writing a check and leaving out the word "Baptist," so it was written to "Lynchburg College," causing some angst over the technicalities at the bank and with LC itself.
ATrain wrote:I always heard it had something to do with someone writing a check and leaving out the word "Baptist," so it was written to "Lynchburg College," causing some angst over the technicalities at the bank and with LC itself.
Not sure if that was the reason or part reason for the name change, but that is indeed a story that's documented. Can't remember which book, but will look it up if I get a chance.
ATrain wrote:I always heard it had something to do with someone writing a check and leaving out the word "Baptist," so it was written to "Lynchburg College," causing some angst over the technicalities at the bank and with LC itself.
I believe it was a series of incidents similar to what you have described rather than just one.
olldflame wrote:
I believe it was a series of incidents similar to what you have described rather than just one.
Confusion with LC was the reason...I was here then. I used to have one of the old green and tan Lynchburg Baptist College sweatshirts.
I'm all for LC inserting University in their name. They have done a great job expanding their graduate offerings and their business program is pretty reputable within business circles.
rogers3 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Confusion with LC was the reason...I was here then. I used to have one of the old green and tan Lynchburg Baptist College sweatshirts.
I'm all for LC inserting University in their name. They have done a great job expanding their graduate offerings and their business program is pretty reputable within business circles.
Throw back jersey day anyone?
ballcoach15 wrote:Lynchburg College should keep their current name. They are not big enough school in my opinion to be called a University of any name.
University status has little to do with size. It is a matter of how the institution is structured, with ¨schools¨ in various disciplines which are more independent of one another than the ¨departments¨ of a college. If LC has the academic and administrative staff to support the model, their enrollment is really not relevant, although with 2600 undergrad and grad students they would be far from the smallest University around.
The thought of 3 LU's within one hour of each other makes my head hurt. :banghead
Purple Haize wrote:Lynchburg College University? There was a Jerusalem College University. Just saying
Actually that made me think of the radio ads I used to here for University of Maryland, University College :lol:
Cider Jim wrote:The thought of 3 LU's within one hour of each other makes my head hurt. :banghead
If they go UL they may have to chat with Louisville about branding
ballcoach15 wrote:Lynchburg College should keep their current name. They are not big enough school in my opinion to be called a University of any name.
There are smaller schools, some quite considerably smaller, in the region and state with University in their name. Southern Virginia University, Virginia University of Lynchburg, Eastern Mennonite University, UVA-Wise, and Hollins University to name a few I know off the top of my head.
Chris Lang wrote:Well, LC's been here a heck of a lot longer than LU, so you'll have to deal with it.
+1
LC is doing a good job differentiating and building some solid grad programs. Hate to tell everyone, but an MBA from LC has a bit more appeal than one from LU- for now, that is. Their PA and their DPT programs are growing and seem to be well respected by counterparts at LU. A higher profile for LC is good for the area. Lynchburg City University, City University of Lynchburg... hmmm
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]