This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

rogers3 wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:Well, LC's been here a heck of a lot longer than LU, so you'll have to deal with it.
+1
LC is doing a good job differentiating and building some solid grad programs. Hate to tell everyone, but an MBA from LC has a bit more appeal than one from LU- for now, that is. Their PA and their DPT programs are growing and seem to be well respected by counterparts at LU. A higher profile for LC is good for the area. Lynchburg City University, City University of Lynchburg... hmmm
Central Virginia University, although I doubt they want to take "Lynchburg" out of the equation
rogers3 wrote:LC is doing a good job differentiating and building some solid grad programs. Hate to tell everyone, but an MBA from LC has a bit more appeal than one from LU- for now, that is... A higher profile for LC is good for the area.
I really wish LC or Randolph had a Quiz Bowl team. Study
Cider Jim wrote:
rogers3 wrote:LC is doing a good job differentiating and building some solid grad programs. Hate to tell everyone, but an MBA from LC has a bit more appeal than one from LU- for now, that is... A higher profile for LC is good for the area.
I really wish LC or Randolph had a Quiz Bowl team. Study
Ain't nobody got time for that - too busy competing for national championships!
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Lynchburg College should keep their current name. They are not big enough school in my opinion to be called a University of any name.
There are smaller schools, some quite considerably smaller, in the region and state with University in their name. Southern Virginia University, Virginia University of Lynchburg, Eastern Mennonite University, UVA-Wise, and Hollins University to name a few I know off the top of my head.
Summit University, one of our basketball opponents this year, has an enrollment of 870. The smallest I could find is University of the West in Rosemont, CA with 79. :shock: Now there is a case where the use of the name may be inappropriate/misleading, but if they have things structured properly it is perfectly legal.
Here's the anecdote about the name change, from Macel Falwell's book "Jerry Falwell -- His Life and Legacy:"

"We were into our fourth year when a woman sent a $100,000 check made out to Lynchburg College, intending it to go to our school. After a month, she called Jerry and asked why Jerry never acknowledged the gift or sent a receipt. Jerry talked to her and said, 'That would be the greatest gift, but we never received it.'

"We'd named our school Lynchburg Baptist College. Unfortunately for us, only three blocks away was another school called Lynchburg College. The woman had made her check out to Lynchburg College and it had been sent to the other school and deposited into their account. Jerry talked to the president of Lynchburg College and they gave us the $100,000.

"Neither Jerry nor Elmer ever wanted that mistake to happen again, so the college was renamed Liberty Baptist College."
alabama24 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:When did it move?
Late 70's, early 80's? But it moved around between then.
My sister was attending in 77 or 78 on the mountain. She was housed in a dorm in the circle and at the downtown Stuart Arms Hotel for a bit, as well. In 1980, there were still things like the Seminary and a college bookstore at TRBC.
lynchburgwildcats wrote:And Brookville used to be located in the city? Or was that part of Timberlake county territory back then?
Campbell County, and yes, that part of Timberlake road was located in Campbell County but got annexed in the 1970s into Lynchburg, right before the state issued a moratorium on cities annexing more land that continues to this day. I think there are many older Lynchburg residents who still remember/resent that last annexation.
ballcoach15 wrote:Cities and towns should not be allowed to Annex. Stick with what they have.
Bitter older resident still mad about the last annexation...exhibit A
rogers3 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Cities and towns should not be allowed to Annex. Stick with what they have.
They haven't been annexing in Virginia for quite a while. North Carolina... not so much.
Apologies this is driving way off topic, but interesting article I read a while back on the subject, some objective:

"When annexation resumed in 1980, it continued to be a divisive issue. By 1986 the General Assembly again felt it appropriate to apply a “temporary” moratorium on annexation with the intent to study the issue and determine methods for improving the process. The moratorium went into effect in 1987 and continues to this day, having been extended multiple times, the last in 2009. The annexation moratorium is now in place through 2018 unless changed by the General Assembly."

And some more subjective:

"Virginia cities in some regions have suffered under the moratorium. For example, if one follows
the economic development of Richmond and Charlotte, North Carolina, the differences are
striking. Decades ago the two cities were on par with one another economically. While Richmond
has struggled to grow economically, Charlotte has flourished in recent decades. One factor contributing to this contrast is North Carolina’s looser annexation laws. Today, many Virginia cities continue to have a larger tax burden, more fiscal stress and less ability to develop than before the moratorium. In a way, the annexation moratorium is negatively affecting older cities’ economic growth, and many counties are growing faster than the cities that they surround. Some have described the effect as a doughnut hole."

Good read none the less. Anyway, nice to hear about the Jerry Sr. story.

http://www.coopercenter.org/sites/defau ... No%201.pdf
LUminary wrote: Jerry talked to the president of Lynchburg College and they gave us the $100,000.

""
This brought to mind that old simspsons when mr burns, smithers and homer fly to cuba with a trillion dollar bill and have a meeting with castro, who was about to give up on communism because they ran out of money.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Only LC gave it back. I bet that was a sad day for them.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]