This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
bluejacket wrote:
ATrain wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/heal ... /32563749/

I'd be in favor of government intervention here.
Kill it with capitalism.
Kind of difficult when there are no generics available.
It would be difficult to make a competitor. It's patent is expired but there are no other competitors in the market. You will probably see more of you in the future unfortunately
By bluejacket
Daraprim is available in India for a few cents/tablet and in Mexico for around 50 cents/tablet. In both cases it is available from reputable manufacturers.

Remove the import restrictions on it and the price will come down.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
bluejacket wrote:Daraprim is available in India for a few cents/tablet and in Mexico for around 50 cents/tablet. In both cases it is available from reputable manufacturers.

'Reputable' is sketchy. Plants in India and Mexico are not always what we think they are
By bluejacket
Purple Haize wrote:
bluejacket wrote:Daraprim is available in India for a few cents/tablet and in Mexico for around 50 cents/tablet. In both cases it is available from reputable manufacturers.

'Reputable' is sketchy. Plants in India and Mexico are not always what we think they are
These are.

If you don't want it from those manufacturers, you can get it from GlaxoSmithKline in the U.K. for $1.73/tablet.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts

So, government intervention?
By bluejacket
adam42381 wrote:So, government intervention?
Not at all.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
bluejacket wrote:
Not at all.
What am I missing? :dontgetit
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't the Constitution allow the federal government to regulate foreign trade as well as interstate commerce?
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
bluejacket wrote:
Not at all.
What am I missing? :dontgetit
I think he's interpretting your saying "government intervention" as meaning that the government intervenes and demands that the drug company lower the price via some sort of threat or law. I think blue is in support of the federal government de-regulating and creating a more competitive marketplace for the drug here in the US though.
By bluejacket
ATrain wrote:Doesn't the Constitution allow the federal government to regulate foreign trade as well as interstate commerce?
Congress is allowed per Art. I, Sec. 8, Clause 3.
By bluejacket
adam42381 wrote:What am I missing? :dontgetit
The reason why daraprim is priced so high right now is because there is an regulated monopoly on the drug in the United States and limitations on getting it from other countries. Remove the regulations and limitations and the price for this drug (and others) and prices will go down.

The government should not intervene any more than they already have in pharmaceuticals and medicine.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
bluejacket wrote:
adam42381 wrote:What am I missing? :dontgetit
The reason why daraprim is priced so high right now is because there is an regulated monopoly on the drug in the United States and limitations on getting it from other countries. Remove the regulations and limitations and the price for this drug (and others) and prices will go down.

The government should not intervene any more than they already have in pharmaceuticals and medicine.
I think the reason why its high now is b/c the drug, with the patents and licensing, etc..., were bought by a greedy hedge fund manager who can't see anything beyond his own wallet. It was $13.50/pill before it was sold.
By bluejacket
ATrain wrote:I think the reason why its high now is b/c the drug, with the patents and licensing, etc..., were bought by a greedy hedge fund manager who can't see anything beyond his own wallet. It was $13.50/pill before it was sold.
And the price is still $1.73 in Britain and under a dollar in India and Mexico. Let those supplies into the country and see how long daraprim stays at $13.50/tablet, let alone $750/tablet.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Meanwhile, Sean Astin of Lord of the Rings fame (and Rudy) spoke yesterday while you all were blathering on about cancer drugs
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Meanwhile, Sean Astin of Lord of the Rings fame (and Rudy) spoke yesterday while you all were blathering on about cancer drugs
Yeah, cause who cares about that
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
well this IS about the convocation schedule after all my sarcastic friend...

I am not saying I don't care about cancer drugs (seen too many friends fighting cancer over the years), just thinking that was better suited for its own discussion and not clogging up the convocation thread
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Meanwhile, Sean Astin of Lord of the Rings fame (and Rudy) spoke yesterday while you all were blathering on about cancer drugs
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: