This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I'm saddened to report that Gary Householder, the #1 fan, is leaving Lynchburg. According to Gary, his landlord drained Gary's bank account, and now Gary has no money to live on, so he's moving back to Winchester, VA, where he has family.

Gary has been in Lynchburg for 40 years, he says, and it breaks his heart to move away, but he doesn't know what else to do.
Atrain can work out something for social security, JLFjr can draw up financial PoA and SOMEBODY get the man a place at Liberty Village
I also agree with Medic. And people like that landlord need to be investigated. IF Gary is receiving Social Security, I'm sure the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) could get involved, as stamping out fraud has become a top priority of Acting Commissioner Colvin.

And if anyone from FlameFans wants to get something started, I'm in. Leading and organizing is not my strong point, but I'll help in any way I can.
Just because I'm in a bad mood....

We are currently paying nearly 3/4 of a million dollars for 2 MBB coaches. You would hope some one in the Admin would realize that for a small fraction of that they could help someone who is more a part of LU Athletics than either of those 2 guys
The Biblical case, Matthew 25:34-40:

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Purple Haize wrote:Just because I'm in a bad mood....

We are currently paying nearly 3/4 of a million dollars for 2 MBB coaches. You would hope some one in the Admin would realize that for a small fraction of that they could help someone who is more a part of LU Athletics than either of those 2 guys

ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY RIGHT
And as we are calling for action from the administration, just remember this appears to be a recent development in Gary's life. Please give them time to formulate a plan to help him. JLFJR is a man who speaks and takes action with diligence and prudence. I am sure someone has probably already brought this thread to his attention.
ATrain wrote:And as we are calling for action from the administration, just remember this appears to be a recent development in Gary's life. Please give them time to formulate a plan to help him. JLFJR is a man who speaks and takes action with diligence and prudence. I am sure someone has probably already brought this thread to his attention.
**cough**cough**BJ**Cough**cough
I agree My statement was not meant to criticize lack of action at this point. Just a call to action now that it is known
Purple Haize wrote:
ATrain wrote:And as we are calling for action from the administration, just remember this appears to be a recent development in Gary's life. Please give them time to formulate a plan to help him. JLFJR is a man who speaks and takes action with diligence and prudence. I am sure someone has probably already brought this thread to his attention.
**cough**cough**uncaffeinated**Cough**cough
I agree My statement was not meant to criticize lack of action at this point. Just a call to action now that it is known
FTFY
Why don't the guys who know him just take up money for him instead of depending on the school to do it?
4everfsu wrote:Why don't the guys who know him just take up money for him instead of depending on the school to do it?
I did suggest we do something a few posts up :P

However, I do hope that, if he receives Social Security, that he reports the problem of his landlord. Stamping out theft/fraud is and always has been a HUGE priority for us.
4everfsu wrote:Why don't the guys who know him just take up money for him instead of depending on the school to do it?
I'd chip in but I also have nowhere near the resources as 'The World's Largest Christian University'. Or TRBC.
to be fair, we are getting a third-hand, one-sided version.

not that I doubt CIDER

I did ask someone closer to the situation to look into it
UPDATE: my source is a close friend that spoke directly to Gary after church yesterday, and he was in tears; but my understanding, as of today, is that Gary is now being taken care of, at least partially, by TRBC, so he won't have to leave town after all.
Obviously, merely being his landlord would not give you access to Gary's bank account. This person is no doubt the Representative Payee for his Social Security. Over the years there have been some infamous examples in Lynchburg of landlord/payees who have misused SS funds while acting in this role. One of them is a former mayor.
Cider Jim wrote:UPDATE: my source is a close friend that spoke directly to Gary after church yesterday, and he was in tears; but my understanding, as of today, is that Gary is now being taken care of, at least partially, by TRBC, so he won't have to leave town after all.

:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping
Purple Haize wrote:
I'd chip in but I also have nowhere near the resources as 'The World's Largest Christian University'. Or TRBC.
Spoken like a true liberal. JUST KIDDING BUDDY! :lol:
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]