This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Cider Jim wrote:UPDATE: my source is a close friend that spoke directly to Gary after church yesterday, and he was in tears; but my understanding, as of today, is that Gary is now being taken care of, at least partially, by TRBC, so he won't have to leave town after all.
The local church being the local church. It's a beautiful thing.
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
4everfsu wrote:Why don't the guys who know him just take up money for him instead of depending on the school to do it?
I'd chip in but I also have nowhere near the resources as 'The World's Largest Christian University'. Or TRBC.
Spoken like a true liberal. JUST KIDDING BUDDY! :I chortle audibly.:
A true Liberal would chip in SOMEONE else's money but none of their own! :lol:
I'd chip in but I also have nowhere near the resources as 'The World's Largest Christian University'. Or TRBC.
Spoken like a true liberal. JUST KIDDING BUDDY! :I chortle audibly.:
A true Liberal would chip in SOMEONE else's money but none of their own! :I chortle audibly.:
+1

And there's much more to this story. Sodexo has provided free meals to Gary daily for many years, I am told, and LU Athletics has never charged him to attend the games. And I'm pretty sure LU has allowed Gary to ride GLTC busses to and from campus. Not 100% sure about the busses. In addition, TRBC's Dave Moquin has made Gary his personal project. Dave has made sure Gary has had housing for many years. Dave says Gary became angry recently because one of his relatives made a mistake in paying one of his bills. The mistake was corrected but Dave was told that Gary refused to return to his residence and instead opted to spend all his money to stay in local hotels. There may have also been some issues with Gary's compliance with state subsidized housing rules requiring certain housekeeping standards by residents. Gary's anger seems to be partly directed toward TRBC even though the church has gone the extra mile in helping Gary over the years. Dave Moquin has been calling everywhere trying to reach Gary but has been unsuccessful and thinks he may have left town. Gary is very upset and needs our prayers. I hope he decides to return to his home where he has many friends willing to continue to help him. LU is not a church. It has a fiduciary responsibility to use its tuition revenues to fulfill its educational mission but individuals who are part of the LU and TRBC community have been very generous to Gary and I believe they would welcome the opportunity to continue that generosity.
JLFJR wrote:I'd chip in but I also have nowhere near the resources as 'The World's Largest Christian University'. Or TRBC.
Spoken like a true liberal. JUST KIDDING BUDDY! :I chortle audibly.:[/quote]

A true Liberal would chip in SOMEONE else's money but none of their own! :I chortle audibly.:[/quote]

+1

And there's much more to this story. Sodexo has provided free meals to Gary daily for many years, I am told, and LU Athletics has never charged him to attend the games. And I'm pretty sure LU has allowed Gary to ride GLTC busses to and from campus. Not 100% sure about the busses. In addition, TRBC's Dave Moquin has made Gary his personal project. Dave has made sure Gary has had housing for many years. Dave says Gary became angry recently because one of his relatives made a mistake in paying one of his bills. The mistake was corrected but Dave was told that Gary refused to return to his residence and instead opted to spend all his money to stay in local hotels. There may have also been some issues with Gary's compliance with state subsidized housing rules requiring certain housekeeping standards by residents. Gary's anger seems to be partly directed toward TRBC even though the church has gone the extra mile in helping Gary over the years. Dave Moquin has been calling everywhere trying to reach Gary but has been unsuccessful and thinks he may have left town. Gary is very upset and needs our prayers. I hope he decides to return to his home where he has many friends willing to continue to help him. LU is not a church. It has a fiduciary responsibility to use its tuition revenues to fulfill its educational mission but individuals who are part of the LU and TRBC community have been very generous to Gary and I believe they would welcome the opportunity to continue that generosity.[/quote]

Thanks for the update. He and the situation will continue in our prayers
thx JLFjr for the info.

always more than 1 side to the story.

praying for Gary... glad to see LU/TRBC stepping up (continuing to do so)
PAmedic wrote:thx JLFjr for the info.

always more than 1 side to the story.

praying for Gary... glad to see LU/TRBC stepping up (continuing to do so)
Very true. Having worked with people in similar circumstances to Gary's for almost 30 years, I can tell you that for every one who has been taken advantage of by those responsible to help them (as we speculated earlier) there are more who get themselves in financial trouble due to impaired judgement. If Gary was in a position to spend all his money on hotel rooms, it would appear that either he does not have a payee, or his payee has chosen to simply turn the funds over to him because they are tired of fighting with him over the money (which is what often happens when family or friends take on that responsibility). I would say it may be time for professional intervention, with an impartial person experienced in handling social security funds managing his income by paying his bills and distributing remaining funds to him on a scheduled basis. If he has been unable/unwilling to properly maintain his subsidized housing, that may indicate a need for additional services coordinated by a Case Manager.
Ive seen Gary attack an opposing team's player at a soccer game, (tackled them into the goal netting). He was on ban from events for a while. He has or had an anger problem.

I also gave him several rides home after games. He stated that he lived in the basement of someone from the church. He also told me he picked up trash at the school and they paid him with free meals and entrance to the games.

Jr. Thank you for all the school and church have done to help Gary, I am praying he comes around and the Lord provides clarity to the situation.
I have never met someone who gave is undying support for a program the way that Mr. Householder does. Regardless of how a team may be performing, Mr. Householder has always watched intently and cheered emphatically. Great to hear his attendance will continue to be a commonplace at LU athletic events for the foreseeable future. "FOUL BALL!"
alabama24 wrote:
EL_YU wrote:Great to hear his attendance will continue to be a commonplace at LU athletic events for the foreseeable future.
Did I misread this thread? The last "news" was from JLFJR who wrote that he may have left town.
Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from.
Sounds like the guy has some kind of anger issues.
ballcoach15 wrote:I was told this morning that Gary got ejected from game and was told not to return to campus . That cannot be true . but this is what a lady at church said Gary told her.
I was at the second game, extra innings. Gary was sitting on the third base line, 3-4 rows back.
Getting off work today, I saw Gary waiting at the bus stop on Wards Road wearing a red LU ball cap.
Cider Jim wrote:Getting off work today, I saw Gary waiting at the bus stop on Wards Road wearing a red LU ball cap.
This thread is quickly becoming "GaryWatch 2015"
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]