This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kiwon
A relative had a car wreck over the weekend. The damage was fairly substantial.

I don't know anything about the body shops in Lynchburg and would appreciate any recommendations.
Who do you trust? Where did you have a good experience with a repair?

Any thoughts among the following:

Pinkerton Chevelot
Laslie's Auto Body
Lynchburg Collision Repair
Revis Body Shop

Thanks for your help.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I've been to Laslie's a couple times (as recently as last month). They do a good job and know how to handle the insurance companies. They missed a couple things this last time, but their work is guaranteed for life.

Billy Craft and Sandrof also have pretty big shops.

Get estimates from multiple places. In Virginia you can go to any body shop you choose, regardless of price or what your insurance company says.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I enjoyed working with Craft. I went there when my Hyundai was rear ended and they were very helpful. yeah my car had to be totaled, but they worked with me and my dad through the whole process, with the insurance company and everything
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Glad your relative is ok. I've had work done by Laslie's and they're pretty good. Appomattox Auto Works in Evergreen (about 25 minutes outside of Lynchburg) is also a good choice.
By Kiwon
Thanks for the input.

On the basis of paint job quality alone, this is what I've heard from a local garage owner:

Revis Body Shop is very good but they are backed up at the moment.

http://www.revisbodyshop.com/

Lynchburg Collision Repair has a tech who is supposed to be a local legend at paint jobs.

http://lynchburgcollision.com/

Craft Collision Center was not recommended.

ATrain and ALUmnus mentioned Laslie's Auto Body. They're In-Network as is Lynchburg Collision Repair.

We need to make a decision in the next 24 hours or so. I hate making these decisions when you can't meet people and see what's what. You have to take people at their word. Very dangerous in the car repair business. 8) Thanks again for the advice.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I, also, would recommend Laslie's. The owner, Dan is an LU alum and he is a man of solid character. I have a small fleet of vehicles and they all are serviced by either Laslie's or Harris. All body work is done at Laslie's.
By Kiwon
UPDATE: The car is a total loss and it was a new car.

I have not seen the police report yet and I don't know Virginia state law, but because it involved a rear end collision, I think my relative will be largely to blame. He was cited and must appear in court soon.

However, the other vehicle involved was an 18-wheel, tractor trailer that was parked in the acceleration lane under an overpass and the back end of the semi-trailer was almost completely blocking the end of the entrance ramp to the highway. Possibly he was having mechanical issues (although he did move his truck later on). It was raining and I can only assume that the driver parked under the bridge for the sake of convenience without realizing the hazard that he had created for other drivers coming down the steep and spiraling entrance ramp.

My relative reports that there was barely a car width's space on the left between the back of the semi-trailer and the concrete median in order for drivers to pass by the truck on the left and merge into the highway traffic. He tried to stop in time but was unable to do so. There were no injuries.

I think that there is no doubt that the driver of the tractor trailer has significant responsibility for this accident and is guilty of negligence by not knowing that his truck was unsafely parked and also by not being outside his vehicle directing traffic and warning other drivers.

The case has not been adjudicated yet but if things are not resolved to our satisfaction with the insurance company I think we would consider getting legal representation.

Question: Can anyone here recommend a local Lynchburg attorney who might be effective in representing us given the facts above? There are no personal injuries involved, our concern would be establishing the appropriate allocation of blame and being properly compensated for our material loss.

Again, we are not at that point yet, but I would like to be prepared in case further action is warranted. Thanks for your help.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jim Hunter. Trost Law Firm. He'll be up front if you have a case or not
By Kiwon
Purple Haize wrote:Jim Hunter. Trost Law Firm. He'll be up front if you have a case or not
Okay, thanks.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1786182149940400[…]

NMSU

Any info about the new incoming players to the[…]

Volleyball Coach

"hitting coach" , I've heard that ter[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]