This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Sweet Briar closing up for good on August 25, 2015.
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/lynchbu ... xE.twitter
The Sweet Briar College's Board of Directors voted Saturday to close at the end of the school year.

In a letter obtained by WDBJ7, college President James F. Jones cites a deteriorating financial condition and lack of a substantial endowment as reasons for the closure.

Sweet Briar College has operated in Amherst as a women's college since 1901.

“This is a sad day for the entire Sweet Briar College community,” Paul G. Rice, SBC board chair, said in a statement posted on the school's website. “The board closely examined the College’s financial situation and weighed it against our obligations to current and prospective students, parents, faculty and staff, alumnae, donors and friends. We voted to act now to cease academic operations responsibly, allowing us to place students at other academic institutions, to assist faculty and staff with the transition and to conduct a more orderly winding down of academic operations.”

The school says it will immediately start helping current students transfer to other college and universities. Sweet Briar College will also assist students who have been admitted to the school for fall 2015.

The final commencement ceremony will be held May 16. The college will officially close August 25 to allow students to complete summer credit hours.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I passed someone in the hall at church the other day who was wearing a Sweet Briar hoodie. The girl seemed shocked that I knew of the school. Frankly I would have assumed that there would have been a stronger endowment considering the base of successful alumni for over a century.

Dare I suggest the real estate opportunity for the school?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote:Shocked and sad. SBC had a long successful history and a great campus. Surprised they did not follow RC and go coed or merge.
Momentum gained for it many years ago and they refused to do it. I guess they wanted to be all-women until they died.

They could have theoretically done something like what Hobart and William Smith Colleges and "merged" with Hampden-Sydney if they wanted to keep their all-women identity. Hobart and William Smith are technically two single-gender schools but work very closely together, still maintaining a lot of things separate from one another (admissions office, for example) but also sharing some stuff (president). I don't know if the idea was ever even considered though, but Sweet Briar girls are here all the time so it's not like it would have been a 100% culture shock for either school!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This marks two schools biting the dust in our little atmosphere in a day or so. I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg especially for smaller liberal arts schools. But it even extends to public colleges as we have seen this past couple of weeks at South Carolina State University.

On a somewhat related note, the entire public university systems of the State of Louisiana are being told to expect up to a 60% drop in fnding from the state coffers. Consolidation is being discussed along with the possibility of shuttering some schools that play at the FCS level.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:This marks two schools biting the dust in our little atmosphere in a day or so. I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg especially for smaller liberal arts schools. But it even extends to public colleges as we have seen this past couple of weeks at South Carolina State University.

On a somewhat related note, the entire public university systems of the State of Louisiana are being told to expect up to a 60% drop in fnding from the state coffers. Consolidation is being discussed along with the possibility of shuttering some schools that play at the FCS level.
It seems as if the higher education bubble may be on the verge of popping. I had been considering getting out of working in higher education (even though I don't have an academic job), but it's become more obvious every year I should probably start coming up with an exit plan.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Higher education is going to continue to flourish ... just in a very different paradigm than had existed for half a millenium. There is still great opportunity. A generation ago, a bachelor's degree was considered a competitive edge. Today it is status quo and graduate school is almost a must for most in the competitive workforce. The more accessable the educational industry is to the masses, the more folks will continue to buy in at larger numbers. But those who want to sit on the practices of old will find themselves very lonely or gone within the next couple of decades.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Higher education is going to continue to flourish ... just in a very different paradigm than had existed for half a millenium. There is still great opportunity. A generation ago, a bachelor's degree was considered a competitive edge. Today it is status quo and graduate school is almost a must for most in the competitive workforce. The more accessable the educational industry is to the masses, the more folks will continue to buy in at larger numbers. But those who want to sit on the practices of old will find themselves very lonely or gone within the next couple of decades.
I agree. Plus, I hate to say it but not everyone should have a 4-year degree.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Helpppp.... I need a job, now. Anyone know anybody in the business dept. at Liberty?
Oh, that's terrible news. Maybe we can start an economic consulting firm based at Starbucks-Boonsboro. Economic base, real estate and housing.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Helpppp.... I need a job, now. Anyone know anybody in the business dept. at Liberty?
Oh, that's terrible news. Maybe we can start an economic consulting firm based at Starbucks-Boonsboro. Economic base, real estate and housing.
Actually, I'm thinking of something like that. I don't want to be back at my business full time. Started at Sweet Briar as a part time adjunct, ended up full time. Was able to do that and still operate business behind the scenes, as well as provide plenty of real life examples and experiences for students. I might enjoy public sector (city) work part time in the small business development arena.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I passed someone in the hall at church the other day who was wearing a Sweet Briar hoodie. The girl seemed shocked that I knew of the school. Frankly I would have assumed that there would have been a stronger endowment considering the base of successful alumnae for over a century.

Dare I suggest the real estate opportunity for the school?

FTFY 8) :lol:

(my inner Cider came out)
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Thats a student to professor ratio of approximately 1.6:1. I've heard of individualized instruction, but that's almost ridiculous
Later this Spring, I'll be glad to fill in some of those details from an insider's perspective, but those numbers aren't accurate. It is a difficult time for many; I watched the face of an older faculty member- around 60 years old- who had spent half of his life here. He has enjoyed smaller classes, great pay, and close interaction with his students, but he looked as if he had just been give a death sentence. There are many people who will have no where to go and they certainly won't be able to replace their job. I know that speculation about the school and the fallout that is to come makes for good banter, but don't forget that there some good people who need prayers, right now.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:A 1:6 professor/student ratio is too low. A 1:15 would be as low as a class should go.
With all due respect, ballcoach, the Ivy Leagues would likely disagree with you. Study
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, Lo[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]