This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I'd like to take it to Boston and turn and return to Lynchburg just for the ride.
Your a glutton for punishment. Stay a day or 2 ! We took a sleeper room on a trip back from NYC. It was cramped but it was great to lay down and we got a free meal that was pretty good!
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
My parents started having me take Amtrak to get to and from Lynchburg for breaks and I absolutely hate it. That engine and crew switch in DC, which can take 30 minutes or more, is like smashing into a giant brick wall as you're turning into your driveway.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JakeP50 wrote:My parents started having me take Amtrak to get to and from Lynchburg for breaks and I absolutely hate it. That engine and crew switch in DC, which can take 30 minutes or more, is like smashing into a giant brick wall as you're turning into your driveway.
Get out. Run into the Station. Grab some food for the road. It's the best part
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JakeP50 wrote:My parents started having me take Amtrak to get to and from Lynchburg for breaks and I absolutely hate it. That engine and crew switch in DC, which can take 30 minutes or more, is like smashing into a giant brick wall as you're turning into your driveway.
I agree the switch is annoying, but it's still more convenient than flying for anywhere along the I-95 corridor IMO.

The airport needs to work on getting service back to Atlanta and maybe to Dallas.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
My wife took the train from Lynchburg to NYC for a training seminar. Her return trip was during The Derecho. Worst travel day ever. Not only did she get stuck in Philly, then in DC, but the train was on a crawl the whole way, and had to stop constantly to remove debris from the tracks.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:A derecho is a once in a lifetime event for most people. I had never heard of one until that one came thru the area.
+1

There was something similar that came through the area in 1993, but I don't think they used that term then.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:A derecho is a once in a lifetime event for most people. I had never heard of one until that one came thru the area.
+1

There was something similar that came through the area in 1993, but I don't think they used that term then.
Derechos happen fairly often. Typically in VA, we have one once every 4 or 5 years. 2012's Derecho was just one of the biggest/widespread, so that's why it was such a big deal. I've been following meteorology for quite some time and TWC and other media outlets used to refer to them as bow-echos and still do, but for whatever reason the "derecho" term is more widespread now.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Big shock that Atrain would be selling the Amtrak experience.
I'm not advocating people take it to Texas or anywhere west LOL. Flying is still the best option for that. Actually I recommend flying over Texas altogether if at all possible. :P
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]