This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Warning: :oldhag post

Anybody familiar with this discount grocery chain? They will be building one across the street from Sheetz on Route 221 in Forest. According to the article in the Lynchburg paper, they don't bag your groceries and charge you a quarter for a shopping cart.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/discoun ... 9c080.html
Ironically the part of town that LEAST needs an Aldi's is getting one
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
German owned grocery chained, started by people in the same family who started Trader Joe's. Don't hold your breath for a TJ's in Lynchburg however.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Anybody familiar with this discount grocery chain? They will be building one across the street from Sheetz on Route 221 in Forest. According to the article in the Lynchburg paper, they don't bag your groceries and charge you a quarter for a shopping cart.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/discoun ... 9c080.html
Ironically the part of town that LEAST needs an Aldi's is getting one
If you shop at TJ's, you'd say the same- they have great prices.

Way back, back before Starbucks on Wards, that space was going to be occupied by Aldi's. It was announced as they were building the store in Danville. I think someone at Liberty might have had a part in the change of plans...
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:German owned grocery chained, started by people in the same family who started Trader Joe's. Don't hold your breath for a TJ's in Lynchburg however.
Get another 7-10k on campus, and that could change. TJ's likes college cities- we just have to keep graduates here and have businesses that they can work for, leading to increased population density and educational attainment.

I guess that is harder than getting another 7-10k on campus.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Anybody familiar with this discount grocery chain?
Aldi's is great for getting bulk supplies of things like canned beans. They are typically "generic", but as long as you don't get salmonella, who cares, right? ;)
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
they don't bag your groceries and charge you a quarter for a shopping cart.

We have an Aldi just outside our neighborhood and shop there regularly. You get your quarter back when you return the cart. If you leave it in the parking lot, it costs you a quarter.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Exciting. But not quite as exciting as a (!!)NEW(!!) WaffleHouse being built in front of the Timberlake Lowe's.

I may actually be able to convince my wife to go into this one....before the filth starts to build up.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Aldis is an interesting chain. They have come into Houston in the past couple of years and built about 20 or so stores. Most of them are stand alones built from the ground up on high profile lots where old strip malls used to stand. They all are intentionally small like Trader Joes based on their German heritage where they are the quintessential corner grocery store.

It is not the type of place most people do their primary shopping. But they have great deals on certain products. Their circulars have great prices. But don't expect a big selection in the stores. That's not their deal.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Exciting. But not quite as exciting as a (!!)NEW(!!) WaffleHouse being built in front of the Timberlake Lowe's.

I may actually be able to convince my wife to go into this one....before the filth starts to build up.
My question is what will happen to the old location. Will it remain?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:Exciting. But not quite as exciting as a (!!)NEW(!!) WaffleHouse being built in front of the Timberlake Lowe's.

My question is what will happen to the old location. Will it remain?
I was wondering what that was being built
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
We use Aldi frequently in the offseason (it's half an hour away from us, tough driving that far during season). Often have cheap prices on things if you don't mind using some brands you've never heard of. Constantly amazed at the cheap price of milk there. We usually go there first, then go somewhere else for anything we couldn't find there on our list.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Aldis is an interesting chain. They have come into Houston in the past couple of years and built about 20 or so stores. Most of them are stand alones built from the ground up on high profile lots where old strip malls used to stand. They all are intentionally small like Trader Joes based on their German heritage where they are the quintessential corner grocery store.

It is not the type of place most people do their primary shopping. But they have great deals on certain products. Their circulars have great prices. But don't expect a big selection in the stores. That's not their deal.
You will be surprised who shops at Aldi. I have seen many Rolls Royces, BMW and other high price cars in the parking lot.
By fan00
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
ATrain wrote:German owned grocery chained, started by people in the same family who started Trader Joe's. Don't hold your breath for a TJ's in Lynchburg however.
Get another 7-10k on campus, and that could change. TJ's likes college cities- we just have to keep graduates here and have businesses that they can work for, leading to increased population density and educational attainment.

I guess that is harder than getting another 7-10k on campus.
I have heard from several different and unrelated sources that there will be a TJ going in the new "upscale shopping center" being built on Graves Mill Rd. next to the plantation being redone for weddings...Not sure where any of the sources are getting their info, so, not really sure of the reliability. But, the fact that more than 2 people have mentioned it at different times makes me hopeful.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I believe the Roanoke Times ran an article where they mentioned the density and income requirements. I searched for it but couldn't find it. Regardless, I'd be surprised if TJ's landed in Lynchburg or Roanoke anytime soon.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:I believe the Roanoke Times ran an article where they mentioned the density and income requirements. I searched for it but couldn't find it. Regardless, I'd be surprised if TJ's landed in Lynchburg or Roanoke anytime soon.
I don't understand why. Fresh Market is more upscale than Trader Joe's. In my experience, TJ's is very affordable and would do really well in Lynchburg.

Here's the website for the Graves Mill Rd development, which hasn't even started yet.
http://previewrosedale.com/
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
ATrain wrote:I believe the Roanoke Times ran an article where they mentioned the density and income requirements. I searched for it but couldn't find it. Regardless, I'd be surprised if TJ's landed in Lynchburg or Roanoke anytime soon.
I don't understand why. Fresh Market is more upscale than Trader Joe's. In my experience, TJ's is very affordable and would do really well in Lynchburg.

Here's the website for the Graves Mill Rd development, which hasn't even started yet.
http://previewrosedale.com/
Yes, FM is more upscale, but it's not about that. TJ's wants a certain population density that has a certain average income, neither of which can be found in Lynchburg or Roanoke. At least that's what I remember from the article. I really wish I could find it...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've seen similar stories, Atrain. TJ's typically only enters markets with high population of folks with tons of disposable income.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BUMP

They've broken ground on the new Aldi store on Route 221 in Lynchburg. Here's an article from FB describing how makes an Aldi store a unique shopping experience:

http://www.liftable.com/ashleysexton/10 ... 2015-07-07
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:BUMP

They've broken ground on the new Aldi store on Route 221 in Lynchburg. Here's an article from FB describing how makes an Aldi store a unique shopping experience:

http://www.liftable.com/ashleysexton/10 ... 2015-07-07
No credit cards accepted, only open during peak hours, and paying for bags (I reuse the crap out of all my Walmart plastic bags) pretty much kills any desire for me to shop there then.

But part of my dislike of the bring-your-own bags is from my days as a bag boy at Kroger and having to deal with those dang things. The worst were the old women who would have a grocery cart overflowing with stuff, request that I not to put much in each bag because they can't lift the bag if I do that, then they hand me like 3 bags. I'm not a magician, so thanks for making the job impossible.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BUMP

Aldi is paving its parking lot TODAY!

In other news, Steak & Shake paved its parking lot earlier this week and has put its metal furniture outside.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]