This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I seriously doubt they mena the city of Dallas. That wouldn't make much sense. I would suspect something central near Grapevine in an office tower. There are a slew near DFW Airport.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I don't know Sly, there is a serious building boom in Uptown (next to Downtown) right now, plus the Richards Group just built a new HQ closer to downtown and vacated their old space next to North Park Mall.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
But the point of this is to be convenient. Being in the SE corner of the Metroplex seems unlikely. Particularly since the Northern Suburbs are the areas where we likely have the greatest concentration of LUO students. And I am guessing that we get some folks from SWBTS in Fort Worth to help with some religion classes. We are tied in more with those guys than DTS or DBU.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
lets be honest if the point was to be convenient it wouldn't be in Texas at all, let alone Dallas

if you don't need to buy a horse why would you go down there anyway? Not like its on the way to anywhere

#flyover country
Last edited by PAmedic on February 21st, 2015, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:lets be hoif the point was to be convenient it wouldn't be in Texas at all, let alone Dallas

if you don't need to buy a horse why would you go down there anyway? Not like its on the way to anywhere

#flyover country
To answer your question, my husband needed to confirm that for himself...I needed no confirmation #shouldvegonetoBoston #movingbackeastASAP

Sly, don't forget that there are probably many current LUO students working in downtown Dallas. I've quite a few LU hats and shirts walking around here. Plus, downtown is much closer to Love Field, and if people are coming from Phoenix (the other potential location), they'll likely fly Southwest.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Every city flies well into DFW. Love ... not so much and Southwest makes you pay for bags whether you check them or not making their fares less competitive these days.

Medic - I'm glad you enjoy your weather, taxes and generally depressing environment. If too many people moved down here it would ruin the place.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Every city flies well into DFW. Love ... not so much and Southwest makes you pay for bags whether you check them or not making their fares less competitive these days.

Medic - I'm glad you enjoy your weather, taxes and generally depressing environment. If too many people moved down here it would ruin the place.
You have thrown me for a loop on the baggage thing Sly. Southwest now flies into Punta Cana, which is my preferred airport for my infrequent flights to the US. I was excited to see I have the SW option because between the lower rates and free baggage I could save quite a bit over what I have been paying. All the info online says the first 2 checked bags are still free on domestic flights. I believe it is only one from here, but that is still good.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Every city flies well into DFW. Love ... not so much and Southwest makes you pay for bags whether you check them or not making their fares less competitive these days.

Every city? May want to ask Roanoke and Lynchburg about that. It is very inconvenient to access in the Metroplex and dealing with the interstates around here is a bad idea in general.

Also, for someone who likes to brag about taxes, weren't you just telling me you were looking to move out of Spring due to taxes?

Southwest fares may not be as competitive, but they have a loyal following and truthfully, if I didn't have status on Delta, I'd fly them a lot more. Their boarding process is very efficient and deplaning doesn't take that long either. Love field is also very convenient to Dallas.

Finally, most people I know that aren't from the Midwest (i.e. flyover country) are looking to move back to one coast or the other.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My family loves using southwest. my wife is going on a two week foray to her parents and will be flying with them and my parents use them when they go on their annual anniversary trip.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Southwest includes your first two bags in the ticket. But have you noticed that when comparing prices in the past 12 months that Southwest is rarely your lowest fare option? That's because they include the cost of baggage in every ticket and then market it as free. The other major carriers let you a la carte determine whether or not you want to pay for a checked bag allowing them to keep fares down. Since I typically only check bags on overseas flights, I much prefer the lower fares.

But watch out for Spirit with their obscenely low fares. They nickel & dime you to death even charging for carry-ons. Seriously.

Love Field is awesome ... if you are going to Downtown Dallas which makes up a very small portion of the Metroplex. I fly in their frequently and especially enjoy the experience now that United has gates in the main terminal. The death of the Wright Ammendment should help make DAL more accessable to the rest of America. But right now, every carrier of note outside of Southwest has flights into DFW from across the country. And unless you are headed to Charlotte or DC, using a Lynchburg-Roanoke analogy is a farce.

And the reason I am attempting to move from Spring to Lake Conroe is partially due to propoerty values soaring with ExxonMobil moving their headquarters to our area and partially because we want to live on the lake. Once you get in tax season in another month or so, you will understand how awesome it is to have no state income taxes ... even if you have to live in pretentious Dallas.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:That's an outlier at a small airport and not a trend.
I checked DCA...lowest there too (depending on the day, VA is very competitive, and yes, I used DAL and DFW)

VA has direct flights from major cities on the coasts and Delta can get you into Love if you go through Atlanta. DAL is still very convenient even if you're not going to downtown Dallas. You don't have over an hour long rail ride if you need to get anywhere east or north of Downtown like you would if you flew into DFW. I-635 is a mess and no one out-of-state is going to have the "T" toll tag (probably will have an EZ-Pass, like every civilized state in the upper Midwest and on the East Coast).

Also, Norfolk is not a small airport (yet...airlines are dropping flights left and right).

Finally, Dallas may be pretentious but Houston is far worse. I'd still rather be in NOVA or Philly, where there is civilization and culture, which can actually be found along the entire I-95 corridor. In flyover country, which includes Texas, not so much. Indeed, I daresay West Virginia may be more culturally advanced...even if they do burn couches in Morgantown.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:If enough people keep that midguided mindset, life will remain great here.
Great?

1. Your standards must not be very high or
2. You're delusional
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
No, I just recognize that Dallas is not a good basis for the Texan experience. And nobody but hipsters and the homeless ever take the DART anywhere. We live in Texas where we drive cars.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:No, I just recognize that Dallas is not a good basis for the Texan experience. And nobody but hipsters and the homeless ever take the DART anywhere. We live in Texas where we drive cars.
I took the DART a couple of times. I am far from a Hipster
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]