This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:I was born and raised in Tampa. Traffic got worse in Tampa when New Tampa was built. Brandon used to be a two lane highway thru US 60 and nothing but cow farms. Then it grew up overnight and traffic there is bad. I miss the old Tampa I grew up with.

Chattanooga is a nice little town. Downtown area is very nice. My company I work for is located downtown.
The intersection of US 60 and I-75 is a joke now. They just put in a Golf Pro Driving Range just south of the off ramp and their in the process of building a Bass Pro Shop right there near the intersection-I can only assume that the city has plans to contain the mess. It would better to build it in New Tampa around Wesley Chapel. The only reason we go to Tampa anymore is for Ikea or Datz and I can live without either.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
4everfsu wrote:Chattanooga is a nice little town. Downtown area is very nice. My company I work for is located downtown.
Some friends of mine just planted a church down there. I go down once or twice a month to help out. Wouldn't be surprised if we made the move down there at some point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
4everfsu wrote:Chattanooga is a nice little town. Downtown area is very nice. My company I work for is located downtown.
Some friends of mine just planted a church down there. I go down once or twice a month to help out. Wouldn't be surprised if we made the move down there at some point.
I hear there is a nice Choo Choo there as well! (Too dated?)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Nope, the Choo Choo is still there and Cider Jim has stories. The downtown has undergone a bit of a renaissance. It was brutal and a no go zone just a decade or so ago. The hospital where I was born there has long since been torn down.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:
4everfsu wrote:I was born and raised in Tampa. Traffic got worse in Tampa when New Tampa was built. Brandon used to be a two lane highway thru US 60 and nothing but cow farms. Then it grew up overnight and traffic there is bad. I miss the old Tampa I grew up with.

Chattanooga is a nice little town. Downtown area is very nice. My company I work for is located downtown.[/quot
]

The intersection of US 60 and I-75 is a joke now. They just put in a Golf Pro Driving Range just south of the off ramp and their in the process of building a Bass Pro Shop right there near the intersection-I can only assume that the city has plans to contain the mess. It would better to build it in New Tampa around Wesley Chapel. The only reason we go to Tampa anymore is for Ikea or Datz and I can live without either.
Datz is awesome.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
yes...datz.

I know the traffic in Tampa is terrible especially with the constant construction on 275 but after living here it seems so trivial. Plus the weather, the beaches, the food on and on and on. I can't wait until I am back in Tampa one day. Being back there a few weeks ago only helped confirm that.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:yes...datz.

I know the traffic in Tampa is terrible especially with the constant construction on 275 but after living here it seems so trivial. Plus the weather, the beaches, the food on and on and on. I can't wait until I am back in Tampa one day. Being back there a few weeks ago only helped confirm that.
I really like the Tampa/Saint Pete area. The food and especially the craft beer scenes are exploding there.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Maybe the Dallas Campus will aid recruiting for LU Athletics, especially men's basketball. But then again, having a campus in Lynchburg, VA isn't helping much with men's basketball, especially when it comes to recruiting in state players.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
thepostman wrote:yes...datz.

I really like the Tampa/Saint Pete area. The food and especially the craft beer scenes are exploding there.

Anna Marie Island down near Bradenton is a nice little area. Fine beach sand and water reminds me of Hawaii.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Nope, the Choo Choo is still there and Cider Jim has stories.
Sly, did you know that I used to work there? I was digging around my mom's attic today and found my old Choo Choo pics. I was the only white boy in the kitchen in those days!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You had mentioned to me awhile back that you ued to work at the restaurant back in college. We take our kids by the place every now & then on road trips through Chattanooga. The model train exhibit there is awesome.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Anna Maria Island is great. Speaking of Chattanooga, my wife and I went there and Tallulah Gorge (GA) for our first year anniversary. We camped at Raccoon Mountain all but the first night where we stayed on the Delta Queen out in the river near downtown. It ended up being the biggest tourist trap, but it was funny looking back on afterwards. The website online made it out to seem like you spend the night on the riverboat while it cruises around, with live music, dinner, etc-something like you would read about in a Mark Twain book. Come to find out, when we asked one of the employees when boat was departing to see if we could go grab some food on the mainland before it left, he looked at me with a confused look and said that the boat stays there at the dock and it has been decommissioned for a few years :oops: No music & dinner, but we had a good time making light of whole experience. Every once in awhile when I need a good laugh, I check the trip adviser reviews for it. We're planning on getting up there again one of these days and staying at the Chattanooga Choo Choo (if they still do it) and hopefully catching a baseball game during the minor league season-really cool stadium if your into that thing.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
FigurinItOut wrote:The first courses will be 5-day intensives at the Omni Hotel in the winter term (over Christmas break) and in March over spring break.
Wow, that's within walking distance of my apartment and my office.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]