This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:
SuperJon wrote:I'll take Tennessee's no state income taxes over Texas.
Why? I'm not arguing. Just curious.
I prefer the setting, culture, and weather.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Fair enough. I was born there and have an affinity for the Eastern portion of the state as well. Not a big fan of anything west of I-75 with the exception of Greater Nashville. Memphis is brutal.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I'll never be the guy to defend income tax (I hate both state and federal), but I will say that living anywhere for income tax reasons alone is a bit narrow-minded. Different locations offer different things. Taxes are only one aspect.

Personally, I love wooded mountains and not being more than a few hours from the ocean.

That's something I loved about where I lived in California and what I love about living where I live in VA.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:That's an outlier at a small airport and not a trend.
I checked DCA...lowest there too (depending on the day, VA is very competitive, and yes, I used DAL and DFW)

VA has direct flights from major cities on the coasts and Delta can get you into Love if you go through Atlanta. DAL is still very convenient even if you're not going to downtown Dallas. You don't have over an hour long rail ride if you need to get anywhere east or north of Downtown like you would if you flew into DFW. I-635 is a mess and no one out-of-state is going to have the "T" toll tag (probably will have an EZ-Pass, like every civilized state in the upper Midwest and on the East Coast).

Also, Norfolk is not a small airport (yet...airlines are dropping flights left and right).

Finally, Dallas may be pretentious but Houston is far worse. I'd still rather be in NOVA or Philly, where there is civilization and culture, which can actually be found along the entire I-95 corridor. In flyover country, which includes Texas, not so much. Indeed, I daresay West Virginia may be more culturally advanced...even if they do burn couches in Morgantown.
NOVA is a terrible, terrible place. It think it may possibly be hell on earth. The only thing worse and more annoying? Sly's Houston love fest.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I suspect Atrain's idea of culture is significantly different than the rest of us.

And I agree that Houston is not utopia (that's Austin). But compared to NOVA, Philly or Tidewater, it might seem that way.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
NOVA/DC is a fantastic place to visit but once my time here is over I am out of here as fast as possible.

All jokes aside I would take Houston and/or Dallas any day of the week as a place to live over DC but we own a home in Florida and have every intention of getting back down there.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Fair enough. I was born there and have an affinity for the Eastern portion of the state as well. Not a big fan of anything west of I-75 with the exception of Greater Nashville. Memphis is brutal.
Memphis is in Tennessee?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Fair enough. I was born there and have an affinity for the Eastern portion of the state as well. Not a big fan of anything west of I-75 with the exception of Greater Nashville. Memphis is brutal.
Memphis is in Tennessee?
Yes, it is. I agree with Sly that Memphis is brutal, but I do love Nashville and Knoxville is ok. Chattanooga I only went to once, when our Lady Flames made the Sweet 16, so don't have much experience there but I hear its nice per my stepmother-in-law.

Sly, you clearly haven't been to Dallas recently. When I first moved here and was in an extended stay for a bit, the trains were crowded every rush hour with professionals - young and old - heading to wherever they were going. I suspect students coming in would prefer the ease and convenience of DART over having to rent a car at the inconvenient airport and driving around in an area with bad traffic and even worse drivers.

I guess it is true what they say about Houstonians, they have Dallas-envy.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Chattanooga's awesome. They have a great downtown. A lot of people actually like Chattanooga better than Knoxville. It's generally rated this way:

1a) Nashville
1b) Chattanooga
3) Knoxville
4) Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge
5) Smokies
6) Dollywood (it's its own thing)
7) Bristol
8.) The place the person making the list lives
9) I-40
10) Memphis
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Anywhere is what you make of it. The bad thing about living in Tampa is traffic, and it seems to be getting worse. I was reading somewhere this past week that it's one of the worst in the country, which is surprising figuring that it's probably not in the top 10 if the top 20 for population. There is plenty to do in Texas, plus the cost of living is another positive.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
I HATE DC traffic, the last time I drove home, the traffic was so bad it turned what could take 5 hours, give or take about 30 minutes, into over 7 hours in the car.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I'll deal with the traffic in DC. I have no family in Dallas except my husband (which Texas doesn't recognize yet) going home involves a really long train ride to DFW due to uncertainty over Delta's future at DAL (not to mention sprinting through Atlanta's airport), people who don't know how to drive (turn lanes, NOT a difficult concept) and a city that is pretty much in the middle of a desert. Mountains are hours away, beaches (ugly ones at that) are also hours away, and any other city with civilization is also hours away.

Yes, cost of living is nice, but I WANT TO GO HOME!!!!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:It sounds like you never left
Could have sworn that Atrain had left for Boston.
I wanted to, but a certain someone REALLY pushed for Dallas. Therefore, I did what I should never do and went against my gut instincts and switched to Dallas. Didn't really want to come here, don't really want to stay here.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:It sounds like you never left
Could have sworn that Atrain had left for Boston.
I wanted to, but a certain someone REALLY pushed for Dallas. Therefore, I did what I should never do and went against my gut instincts and switched to Dallas. Didn't really want to come here, don't really want to stay here.
That's the point. You haven't left VA behind to truly embrace what Dallas has to offer. I know for a fact there is a vibrant community there for you
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I know for a fact there is a vibrant community there for you
You do? :shock:
If you have ever been to a Howard Jones/Thompson Twins concert you'd know. Trust me
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
I was born and raised in Tampa. Traffic got worse in Tampa when New Tampa was built. Brandon used to be a two lane highway thru US 60 and nothing but cow farms. Then it grew up overnight and traffic there is bad. I miss the old Tampa I grew up with.

Chattanooga is a nice little town. Downtown area is very nice. My company I work for is located downtown.
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: