This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Cider Jim wrote:The :oldhag will remember that 20 years ago, our LU education majors weren't even allowed to student teach in Lynchburg city schools; they could only student teach in the county schools. My goodness, how times have changed!
The person I'm sleeping with remebers those days
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:The :oldhag will remember that 20 years ago, our LU education majors weren't even allowed to student teach in Lynchburg city schools; they could only student teach in the county schools. My goodness, how times have changed!
The person I'm sleeping with remebers those days
You just called your wife an old hag
What was the reasoning behind this? Was it political or something else?
adam42381 wrote:
What was the reasoning behind this? Was it political or something else?
...and was it the schools that wouldn't allow it, or Liberty?
I'm not sure I was even alive in that era, but my guess would be it was the city. Its only been recently (i.e. the past 5-10 years) that the city and Liberty have started to get cozy and cuddly with each other.
It is tough for current folks to have any understanding of what it was like back in the '80s in our relationship with the city. If you think the diploma mill talk about our online programs is rough, you should have heard what was stated back in the day about our residential programs.

It was the city schools that refused to hire our teacher grads. Most were getting hired in the county schools all around but not in the city.
Sly Fox wrote:It is tough for current folks to have any understanding of what it was like back in the '80s in our relationship with the city. If you think the diploma mill talk about our online programs is rough, you should have heard what was stated back in the day about our residential programs.

It was the city schools that refused to hire our teacher grads. Most were getting hired in the county schools all around but not in the city.
This is true. Even if you were an alum of a City HS you couldn't get a job teaching there
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]