This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Tried the Vietnamese restaurant next to the Forest Goodwill. I'm so full of Pho that I'm about ready to pop. For first timers they recommended the Eye Round Steak Pho or the Steak and Brisket Pho (probably Sly's favorite).

When you get it to go, they give you chicken broth in a plastic container and the noodles, vegetables, and meat in a Styrofoam container, and then you are supposed to combine everything when you get home. I combined all the ingredients into a 2-cup glass measuring bowl and microwaved it. The soup was piping hot, and I only ate half a serving, but I was so full. And I was pleasantly surprised how good it tasted!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Tried the Vietnamese restaurant next to the Forest Goodwill. I'm so full of Pho that I'm about ready to pop. For first timers they recommended the Eye Round Steak Pho or the Steak and Brisket Pho (probably Sly's favorite).

When you get it to go, they give you chicken broth in a plastic container and the noodles, vegetables, and meat in a Styrofoam container, and then you are supposed to combine everything when you get home. I combined all the ingredients into a 2-cup glass measuring bowl and microwaved it. The soup was piping hot, and I only ate half a serving, but I was so full. And I was pleasantly surprised how good it tasted!
You're full of it all right :rofl :rofl
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BUMP

This was confirmed in the local paper this week. The location will be in Campbell County near our med school and right across the street from the Lynchburg Airport; plus, I saw it on Facebook yesterday, so it has to be true!

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/c ... d3788.html
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Agreed but this is my favorite of those types of chains. Love the chicken fingers
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Agreed but this is my favorite of those types of chains. Love the chicken fingers
Absolutely. I'm not sure how you could say that Chili's food is bland. They have a pretty wide variety, and the tex-mex is about as high quality as you're going to find here in the 'burg once they arrive. On top of that... you don't have to pay the Lynchburg version of the meals tax. It's a win/win.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Word, I mean you'd NEVER find a chain restaurant in a bigger city.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Word, I mean you'd NEVER find a chain restaurant in a bigger city.
Oh, we have plenty of them...but they are vastly outnumbered by more local restaurants and the chains are generally clustered around the airports and main mega-shopping drags. Which is where Chili's is headed. And I like Chili's.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Because all Lynchburg needs is another bland chain restaurant.
This. I'll gladly pay a couple extra dollars to get something from a local restaurant instead of eating generic mega-chain crap.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
This. I'll gladly pay a couple extra dollars to get something from a local restaurant instead of eating generic mega-chain crap.
Big Lick has chicken fingers almost as good.

But when I'm o the road, which is often, I try to make it a point to eat local. Or at least somewhere I can't eat in Lynchburg. Which is how The Billy Burger came in to being in Bristol!
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Local restaurants are great. Hey, WE ALL LOVE LOCAL RESTAURANTS!! Chains have some really good food. Local places can have some really pathetic food, which is why they're constantly opening & closing. No need to be such a snob about it, though.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I prefer chain places to eat. Burger King, Country Cookin , Hardees and Cracker Barrel. I not go near other places
They not want you too.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
I'd gladly pay a couple extra dollars to get something from a chain restaurant instead of eating mediocre food with a salad bar at the "crown."

I am all for local restaurants... when they are good.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Local restaurants are great. Hey, WE ALL LOVE LOCAL RESTAURANTS!! Chains have some really good food. Local places can have some really pathetic food, which is why they're constantly opening & closing. No need to be such a snob about it, though.
I'm not being a snob about it. I prefer to eat food that is higher quality than most large national chains provide. Sure, many local places are bad which means the good ones really stand out. I vote with my wallet.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
There are these things known as smart phones that contain apps such as Yelp and Urban Spoon that allow you to see reviews to help you make a judgment call about whether or not you want to eat there. You can also, generally speaking, tell if a place is going to be good by how busy it is.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:There are these things known as smart phones that contain apps such as Yelp and Urban Spoon that allow you to see reviews to help you make a judgment call about whether or not you want to eat there. You can also, generally speaking, tell if a place is going to be good by how busy it is.
I'll have to slightly disagree with the last part. The chains down here are slammed because the snowbirds tend to flock to what they know. Popularity isn't a direct indicator of quality. See Bud Light for instance.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ATrain wrote:There are these things known as smart phones that contain apps such as Yelp and Urban Spoon that allow you to see reviews to help you make a judgment call about whether or not you want to eat there. You can also, generally speaking, tell if a place is going to be good by how busy it is.
I'll have to slightly disagree with the last part. The chains down here are slammed because the snowbirds tend to flock to what they know. Popularity isn't a direct indicator of quality. See Bud Light for instance.
TripAdvisor has never let me down. And I'm a contributor
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
I'd gladly pay a couple extra dollars to get something from a chain restaurant instead of eating mediocre food with a salad bar at the "crown."

I am all for local restaurants... when they are good.
Well, if you think The Crown is representative of good local dining, you need to get out more!
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Well, if you think The Crown is representative of good local dining, you need to get out more!
Ain't it quite clear that I DON'T think it is "good local dining"? lol
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I actually like Chili's. Went to one here in the 757. If I have the money by the time it opens I might make a stop by next time Im in town
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Well, if you think The Crown is representative of good local dining, you need to get out more!
Ain't it quite clear that I DON'T think it is "good local dining"? I chortle audibly.
Guess I missed some sarcasm. I assumed that you were stuck in the past and thought the Crown was still considered to be a dining option for a discriminating connoisseur of local fare such as yourself.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]