This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The only real local places ive been to/enjoyed are The Cavalier and Texas Inn. I only ever got one thing at La Carreta (and yet it still keeps getting Best of FlameFans every year)
By From the class of 09
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:The only real local places ive been to/enjoyed are The Cavalier and Texas Inn. I only ever got one thing at La Carreta (and yet it still keeps getting Best of FlameFans every year)
This is ridiculous...The 'burg food secenes isn't that of a large city but it has a number of decent local places in every part of town.

From my house I can walk to a pizza place, italian restaurant, sandwhich shop, burger/dive bar, and english pub.

The only time I eat at a chain is when I'm out of town and don't have anyone to recomend a good local place. The positive to chains is you know what you're getting, average.
Last edited by From the class of 09 on December 19th, 2014, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As I said, those are the only places I have been to. if I had been able to go to a few more places, I would have spoken differently. I'd like to check out the sports trivia night at rivermont pizza next time I am in town during the week
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I know there aren't many good local/non-chain options in the 'burg, but people getting excited about a national chain casual dining establishment makes me sad.
Honestly, these two things are not related. Like just about anywhere else, there are probably more good local options that can be supported by the area. It's about newness, people around here love something new, especially if it involved eating.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:How is it possible to live in Lynchburg as long as you did and only visit 3 local restaurants? You must love those big chains.
Eh...love wouldnt be the right word. I enjoy them, but mostly they were easily accessible. I didn't really go toward Rivermont much and when I went to Forest it usually was for work at the prototype building so getting something from Taco Bell was easy. I should add two other places I have made a trip to and thats Neighbors Place and Upper Crust. I'd of gladly accepted an invite to any of the local establishments otherwise (well that and having money too)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Anyone who says there aren't good local food options in Lynchburg isn't trying. Get off Wards Road at some point and explore.
I agree 100% unless you are talking Italian. I just don't like local options.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:Anyone who says there aren't good local food options in Lynchburg isn't trying. Get off Wards Road at some point and explore.

Really? I think Isabella's is delicious. Mangia 's food is good but their service lacks a lot in my opinion. I know we frequent more local places than chains. The two chains we do occasionally go to are Roadhouse and CFA.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Really? I think Isabella's is delicious. Mangia 's food is good but their service lacks a lot in my opinion. I know we frequent more local places than chains. The two chains we do occasionally go to are Roadhouse and CFA.
Yeah, I know a lot of people like Isabella's and I've been there a couple of times. But it's been awhile. I do like the salads at Roadhouse. Yellow Submarine is good but I know the guy who owns the Jersey Mikes so I consider that local. Did Main St Market and CAO today. I'd say we mix it up quite a bit but we eat out a lot
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
So many more in the area too. Pho, decent Chinese, Thai, Tea rooms, we eat out often and rarely at any chain except CFA. BTW Zaxby's ??? Nothing much there--just fried chicken bits. Meh.

BTW finally here full-time now. And fully retired. YES!! :D :D :D :D :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote:So many more in the area too. Pho, decent Chinese, Thai, Tea rooms, we eat out often and rarely at any chain except CFA. BTW Zaxby's ??? Nothing much there--just fried chicken bits. Meh.

BTW finally here full-time now. And fully retired. YES!! :D :D :D :D
Application to the :flamingdevil revoked!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Congratulations, badger74!

Pho in the Lynchburg? Banh Mi as well? I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised by the rapid growth of Vietnamese food across the nation.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly, we just had a restaurant open up in Forest that advertises "Vietnamese Noodles" (I think that's actually the name of the restaurant). I really don't know what that is or what it tastes like. Have anyone been or had that kind of noodles before?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Sly, we just had a restaurant open up in Forest that advertises "Vietnamese Noodles" (I think that's actually the name of the restaurant). I really don't know what that is or what it tastes like. Have anyone been or had that kind of noodles before?
Why not ask the fat guy? I have had Pho noodles and they are surprisingly good. Not something I'd go out of the way for but good.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:It's even more exciting if you live in Roanoke and don't even have the big national chains!
CLEARLY someone NEVER goes by Valley View Mall or down 419 (Electric Rd).

That said, Downtown Roanoke does have some great local eateries. Salem also has a couple good ones as well.

Also, Isabella's (in Boonsboro) does have good Italian, and I did enjoy getting pizza from Upper Crust when I lived in Wyndhurst, my parents like Neighbor's Place and Waterstone (downtown) is good as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Vietnamese noodles are indeed called Pho. Ask the proprietors for the proper pronunciation. Down here in Texas, all SE Asian immigrants have to be processed through Houston. Combined with all of the families who worked with the US Government during the way that were moved here to become fishermen, we have a huge Vietnamese population here in Houston and on my sid eof town in particular. There are probably 100 Pho shops within 20 miles of my house. I'm not a huge fan but it makes a nice diversion every now and then.

As for Banh Mi .... that is another story altogether. They are sandwiches made fanous in Saigon and now all the rage in places with Vietnamese populations like Houston & Los Angeles. They are served on baguettes (French influence from colonial days) and feature seasoned meats. Think your typical sandwich shop with a ton of flavor added. My son & I are big fans.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
jbock13 wrote:It's even more exciting if you live in Roanoke and don't even have the big national chains!

That said, Downtown Roanoke does have some great local eateries. Salem also has a couple good ones as well.

Also, Isabella's (in Boonsboro) does have good Italian, and I did enjoy getting pizza from Upper Crust when I lived in Wyndhurst, my parents like Neighbor's Place and Waterstone (downtown) is good as well.
My apologies, I meant to refer to things like Cheesecake Factory, or Mellow Mushroom. Moe's is non existent as well.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
ATrain wrote:

My apologies, I meant to refer to things like Cheesecake Factory, or Mellow Mushroom. Moe's is non existent as well.
Blacksburg has a Mellow Mushroom, give it time...Roanoke will get one too. If it makes you feel any better, I have to go all the way to Rockwall, Arlington or Frisco for one.

Moe's...well, there's a Moe's Deli off of Melrose Ave :-P Truthfully no idea why there isn't one in the Valley View area. Seems like it would fit right in.

Cheesecake Factory...yeah, maybe when Trader Joe's comes to Roanoke too :lol:

However, you do have Carraba's, Cheddars, Smokey Bones and Abuellos :twisted:
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]