This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
You also have to consider that some private schools have ridiculously hard grading scales which prevent many students from having a 3.5 or higher. Instead of the typical 10 point scale, the high school where I graduated had the insane scale listed below:

95-100 A
88-94 B
77-87 C
70-76 D
0-69 F

I graduated with a 3.4 and 4 year overall average of 87%.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
My high school:
93-100 A
85-92 B
77-84 C
70-76 D
Below 70 F

My GPA: I don't remember, but I did graduate with honors.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I went to a public high school and my grading scale was

94-100 A
87-93 B
80-86 C
73-79 D
0-72 F

Won't tell you my gpa though... :I chortle audibly.:
That was my grading scale as well if I remember correctly and I also went to public school.

GPA...not good, haha
By BCXtreme
Full disclosure: Although I must say the copious excuse-making in this thread speaks volumes, my distaste for Liberty's academic standards likely has much to do with the fact that I just wasn't in the market for the product they were offering. I personally think Liberty could better fulfill its mission in the form of a selective, elite regional university than in its present form. Clearly, that is not the majority opinion among its supporters at this time.

I firmly believe that a minority of people who don't like a product, instead of demanding that the product be changed to their liking, should simply go buy different ones. Therefore, I shall adhere to that principle, agree to disagree with no hard feelings, and withdraw myself from this thread. I will be over in the campus expansion thread discussing what seems to be the only aspect of Liberty on which I do not hold the minority opinion. :typing
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:I teach high school and we're on a 10 point scale. I'm pretty sure that's the norm at this point.
You trang high school in Florida?? I'm sorry man.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Where I went to school til 12th grade it was

A 94-100
B 86-93
C 78-85
D 70-77
F 0-69

I finished at the bottom of my class and I still had a low C average when all was said and done
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Where I went to school til 12th grade it was

A 94-100
B 86-93
C 78-85
D 70-77
F 0-69

I finished at the bottom of my class and I still had a low C average when all was said and done
Were your SAT scores decent?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
1050 and 1160 in two attempts. Id say that was decent...course both attempts were while I was in military school for a year.
Last edited by BJWilliams on September 11th, 2014, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks. I was hoping to score 1200 or so but still really solid scores. I hoped to get into VT or ODU but my HS grades were not quite good enough to get into ODU and I missed VT's deadline by one day
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I went to a public high school and my grading scale was

94-100 A
87-93 B
80-86 C
73-79 D
0-72 F

Won't tell you my gpa though... :I chortle audibly.:
I can't remember what Bs and Cs were (don't know at all about Ds and Fs since I didn't get them), but that's what it took to get an A at my high school. I don't know what it is in Lynchburg public schools now, I haven't had any need to know in 12 years.

THe 10-point scale should be a national standard
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Where I went to school til 12th grade it was

A 94-100
B 86-93
C 78-85
D 70-77
F 0-69

Ah here we go, THIS is what the grading scale was in Lynchburg public schools when I graduated in Spring 2003.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Thanks. I was hoping to score 1200 or so but still really solid scores. I hoped to get into VT or ODU but my HS grades were not quite good enough to get into ODU and I missed VT's deadline by one day
Those are solid scores, would get you into tons of colleges. Some schools would throw several thousands at you in scholarship money for that.

I got an 1140, but I could have done better had I cared one iota. I skipped some questions I couldn't answer in like 3 seconds (or randomly guessed, whichever one at the time would hurt the score less). I knew I would be getting in to LC regardless (and for free since one of my parents works there) so there wasn't much of a point in trying my best since it wouldn't effect my admission or my finances. Would have been nice to keep the scholarship money I was offered to use it on books and other expenses, but school took it away when I accepted tuition remission.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
My HS was a 7-point grading scale. I had a 3.8 and an SAT of 1290. I played three sports and was the student body VP and President in successive years.

I went to a private, Christian high school. There were approx 150 students in the high school. I ranked sixth in my class of nine. (Ours was an inordinately small class compared to the ones coming behind us.) So, I had those grades and scores, and I was considered one of the "dumb jocks".

I don't recall experiencing anything different than the usual academic malaise when I attended Liberty - 03-07.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:My HS was a 7-point grading scale. I had a 3.8 and an SAT of 1290. I played three sports and was the student body VP and President in successive years.

I went to a private, Christian high school. There were approx 150 students in the high school. I ranked sixth in my class of nine. (Ours was an inordinately small class compared to the ones coming behind us.) So, I had those grades and scores, and I was considered one of the "dumb jocks".

I don't recall experiencing anything different than the usual academic malaise when I attended Liberty - 03-07.
Wow, you were there the same time I was for undergrad.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I erred to mention that I went to a private Christian school til 12th grade (much like JK did). My class in military school was about 150 but that was split between the seniors and the kids doing a prep year like myself
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I've seen it in many industries and feel that it doesn't only apply to education but the general workforce. Just because a school or business is selective, doesn't mean that all of the people being selected are of a high quality.

I firmly believe there is a huge problem with the method in which high schools measure students to begin with. As I've stated on other topics, the correlation between academic success in high school/college and success in the workforce is fading fast and businesses are wising up to that fact.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I firmly believe there is a huge problem with the method in which high schools measure students to begin with. As I've stated on other topics, the correlation between academic success in high school/college and success in the workforce is fading fast and businesses are wising up to that fact.
Touche. Some of my best student employees have been morons in the class room. Unfortunately, sometimes too much!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
JK37 wrote:My HS was a 7-point grading scale. I had a 3.8 and an SAT of 1290. I played three sports and was the student body VP and President in successive years.

Wow, you were there the same time I was for undergrad.
Ha ha, why does that surprise you?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
80th in the region to be exact, and the regional rankings don't include schools nationally ranked, which is dumb. Like Elon can claim they are #1 in the South, which everyone knows is a true L.O.L. worthy statement, yet Davidson is the highest ranked school in the south. Davidson ranked 9th nationally, the true #1 in the south based on the rankings.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]