This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:27 pm The office for spiritual development would still require someone to fill that leadership role and I'd imagine that person would be one of the few that would report directly to the Chancellor.

Just guessing really.

If recent events are any indication, I think @Sly Fox may be onto something.
Probably anyone with a degree from a Bible College would be eligible. And if they already lived here and had LU connections that would make them more enticing to the Prevo Regime
By Jonathan Carone
The Nasser archetype is the perfect mold for the position. He just doesn’t fit the character portion needed.

Student ministry experience turned church planter who has experience leading a team

You’re looking at mid-30s to early 40s to best fill that role in its current form.

The other option is to have an older, seasoned administrator lead the department with a younger speaker/convo host as the front man/woman.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:46 pm
thepostman wrote: March 29th, 2021, 6:27 pm The office for spiritual development would still require someone to fill that leadership role and I'd imagine that person would be one of the few that would report directly to the Chancellor.

Just guessing really.

If recent events are any indication, I think @Sly Fox may be onto something.
Probably anyone with a degree from a Bible College would be eligible. And if they already lived here and had LU connections that would make them more enticing to the Prevo Regime
What about honorary degrees from sketchy IFB schools? Is that good enough? :D
Purple Haize liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 28th, 2021, 5:39 pm
Dustin Wahl wrote: March 28th, 2021, 5:32 pm For what it's worth, I'm very confident the Nasser rumor is correct. He's leaving in May. Don't know when they plan to announce it, and don't know exactly whose decision it was.
$20 he cries
$50 he says in a Convo “God has called him to a different Ministry/Mission Field”
$1K says your right about #2.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:05 pm If Jonathan is involved in the decision, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was one of his T-Road underlings
It seems to me that Charles Billingsly is being underutilized at TRBC. IMO he would be better than Nasser at what Nasser does just based on talent and sincerity alone.
ballcoach15, ATrain, jinxy liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Charles is at TRBC only half the time. He's doing gigs on the road the other half.
Most anyone at LU or TRBC would be an improvement over Nasser.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 7:25 am Charles is at TRBC only half the time. He's doing gigs on the road the other half.
Most anyone at LU or TRBC would be an improvement over Nasser.
I doubt if Charles looks at his ministry to local churches as a "gig", but if he had a job that required him to be around most of the time (with a commensurate salary) and an opportunity to minister more to the LU students as well as the church, he might be inclined to cut back on his travel schedule.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was told of a Baptist church in Altavista area, that inquired about him coming there for 1 service. His appearance fee was in the thousands. I forget actual amount.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:33 am I was told of a Baptist church in Altavista area, that inquired about him coming there for 1 service. His appearance fee was in the thousands. I forget actual amount.
I know of a church not far from Appomattox that inquired about him for 1 service, he told them $6K. The pastor told him to take a hike.
As someone said above, almost anyone would be better than Nasser. Billingsly, would have to take a pay cut to take Nasser's job, but he is good friends with Jonathon. Still don't see it happening.
Ballcoach would DEFINITELY be better than Nasser. We might could get him for half of what we are paying "fancy pants". 8) 8)
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:31 pm Nasser is the most overpaid employee at LU, and maybe in America.
The list of over paid employees at LU is equal to the number of under paid employees at Liberty
thepostman, rtb72, Baybird and 3 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Nasser is the most overpaid employee at LU, and maybe in America.
Man, I'd love for you to tell the story behind your deep rooted hatred for the man. Especially since you were cool with Jr coming back after 6 months. This must be a whopper of a story :lol:
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:37 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:31 pm Nasser is the most overpaid employee at LU, and maybe in America.
The list of over paid employees at LU is equal to the number of under paid employees at Liberty
Seems like a problem that could fix itself
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Often times those high fees are just a way to say they dont want to do it. However, id rather then just say that.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 30th, 2021, 10:42 pm The dude has had seven #1 songs. He’s also not pocketing every dime from his appearance fees. For a bunch of free market capitalists, Christians have a really hard time with the idea of Christians getting paid their worth.
You have to consider, though, that the environment here is poisoned by lots of Christians being paid far more than they are worth. I don't know Charles, but when I've seen him in public, he strikes me as a very pleasant, personable guy for being such a well known performer. One little economic theory that plays a role in his fees... When demand had risen, costs go up. He'd never met demand so he has to balance his schedule by having higher fees.
jinxy liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I agree many are paid far more than they're worth, but we've got to be smart enough to see the difference. For example - I think the role David Nasser is in is worth the salary he's getting paid. I just don't think he's worth filling the position.

While I'm not a fan of Billingsly's music, no one has a bad word to say about the guy. Even if he was a jerk, his track record of success in the music industry bears out his fees. He's not a School of Worship kid coming out asking for that. He's been in the business for 30+ years and was a part of one of the biggest CCM groups ever.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sometimes one has to know where to, "draw the line", in regards to ministry/performer.

In my opinion, going to a local Baptist church would be ministry, where as going to a women's conference in a civic center is more leaning toward performer.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]