This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If one works at LU, I would think they have an obligation to defend the views. It's called loyalty.
Sometimes the best kind of loyalty is the kind where you challenge those that you love and push them to be better. Whether that is an individual or an organization.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:15 pm If one works at LU, I would think they have an obligation to defend the views. It's called loyalty.
I don’t know about defend but certainly not publicly trash
ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I certianly agree that employees of the school, or any organization, have an obligation to not talk badly of their employer in a public setting. This includes message boards and social media. But students are essentially paying customers and the same rules do not apply.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I would never put much faith in what a disgruntled student says. Sort of like a parent who trashes a high school principal because he suspended their bratty kid for bad behavior.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:15 pm If one works at LU, I would think they have an obligation to defend the views. It's called loyalty.
I'm an American and disagree with most of our domestic and International policies. I'm former military just like you and disagreed with poor leadership styles.

Actually, beyond loyalty just because of an identity group, it hurts the group when those that should speak up are silent when it damages the reputation of the School, the personal lives of it's staff, and ESPECIALLY the testimony and Good News of the Cross.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 2:41 pm I would never put much faith in what a disgruntled student says. Sort of like a parent who trashes a high school principal because he suspended their bratty kid for bad behavior.
Who says they are “disgruntled”? Sounds like they have a disagreement.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
No offense @ballcoach15 but I take the opinion of current students, past students, alumni, faculty and staff (distrusted or not), more seriously on these issues than yours. I'm glad you support the school but yeah.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 2:58 pm
I'm an American and disagree with most of our domestic and International policies. I'm former military just like you and disagreed with poor leadership styles.

Actually, beyond loyalty just because of an identity group, it hurts the group when those that should speak up are silent when it damages the reputation of the School, the personal lives of it's staff, and ESPECIALLY the testimony and Good News of the Cross.
Exactly. It is possible to support an organization but disagree with some decisions they make. I love what I do for work but that doesn't mean I agree with every decisions my superiors make.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 3:12 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 2:58 pm

Exactly. It is possible to support an organization but disagree with some decisions they make. I love what I do for work but that doesn't mean I agree with every decisions my superiors make.
Well, if it was Space Force I bet you’d feel different!
By Jonathan Carone
stokesjokes wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 10:17 am I just read through this thread and here’s my take on where people are landing with Nasser:

1. Those who view Nasser’s role as a business position see him making decisions anyone in a business leadership role would make, i.e. doing what’s best for the company.

2. Those who view Nasser’s role as pastoral taking issue with Nasser favoring what’s best for the company over personally shepherding the students.

Nasser is an a gray and blended role, which I’m sure is difficult to navigate. Would it be better to divide the role? Have a company guy to make the PR moves and deal with the unrest among students and faculty and also have a “pastoral-only” position responsible for spiritual growth and guidance among the student body?
I missed this post earlier today. This is a really great take on this conversation and why there are the issues with it. I hadn't realized the two sides blending like that. It totally explains why me and Haize would disagree on it.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 11:42 am I’ve always day-dreamed about how different the public perception of LU might be if PR decisions/statements were made by more well-equipped people.

Jerry Jr/Nasser seem to be our de-facto PR people. I can’t speak to Nasser, but Jerry is naturally abrasive and antagonistic (might be the attorney background), and that certainly hasn’t helped our public image. He just doesn’t have the charisma to be a public figure the way his father was, imho.

Not to diminish Jerry’s skill-set because he has been great for the business/financial side of the university, but he would be great as a background character, not the public voice. I also daydream about Jonathan being that public voice because I think he would be really good in that role.
Zero chance. He and Jr. mix like oil and water.
cruzan_flame13, JK37 liked this
By chris leedlelee
flameshaw wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 4:59 pm Zero chance. He and Jr. mix like oil and water.
Maybe thats exactly why Jonathan Falwell would do better as the figurehead and main PR guy for Liberty, while Jerry manages the business aspects of LU.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm
ballcoach15 wrote:If one works at LU, I would think they have an obligation to defend the views. It's called loyalty.
Sometimes the best kind of loyalty is the kind where you challenge those that you love and push them to be better. Whether that is an individual or an organization.
Whose to say that doesn’t happen, and all of us peons just don’t know about it?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 11:07 pm
flameshaw wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 4:59 pm Zero chance. He and Jr. mix like oil and water.
Maybe thats exactly why Jonathan Falwell would do better as the figurehead and main PR guy for Liberty, while Jerry manages the business aspects of LU.
You ever heard the one about the kid who was hit over the head with the book of good ideas.

If he doesn’t actually read it, all he gets are bruises.

Just because an idea is great, doesn’t guarantee it’s put into force.
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 12:21 am
You know from personal experience that doesn’t happen.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Oh, it happens. It just never gets to the level it needs to because there are only a select few that have the ear of Jr and they will never actually challenge him. I know that is semantics but it is a point that needs to be made.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 11:07 pm
They are legal separate entities. TRBC and LU. Jr, is not going to allow himself to take a back seat to anyone , at any level, when it comes to LU. It may become a major problem in the future, it may not. Again, I am 1000% LU. I am 1000% Trump. But IMHO. Jr. needs to be a leader that promotes the atmosphere that allows people to disagree, without repercussion. He needs to clean up his public persona and make it more consistent with a Christian University. Professors need some kind of freedoms that lie between tenure (which is total bs), and a contract that can be voided at any time for any reason. Not sure where that line needs to be be, but some kind of protection is required. IMHO of course.
By chris leedlelee
flameshaw wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 9:41 am They are legal separate entities. TRBC and LU. Jr, is not going to allow himself to take a back seat to anyone , at any level, when it comes to LU.
Oh, I wasn't saying what will happen, but what should happen. Jr. will never voluntarily give up control of LU for the time being.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 12:21 am
I was speaking generally. I'm sure it does happen at LU and when it does, those that challenge at the highest levels, are promoted to unemployment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 1:14 pm Just don't drive up Nasser's private road
Sounds like there’s a story there
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Don't know about a story, but one day I noticed an electronic gate had been installed.

You and Cider should go bicycle riding with me around campus. One can learn a lot about a college campus on a bicycle.
Of my 2,252 miles in 2019, some of them were on campuses around the nation.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 9:46 am Don't know about a story, but one day I noticed an electronic gate had been installed.

You and Cider should go bicycle riding with me around campus. One can learn a lot about a college campus on a bicycle.
Of my 2,252 miles in 2019, some of them were on campuses around the nation.
1- I don’t enjoy bicycling.
2- I have a job that would make it difficult to do that
3 - I’m not really into being a creeper of other people’s property
4- you do you and enjoy what you enjoy
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, unlike Purple Hiaze, I used to do a lot of biking, but not on private property. :nono I'd ride with you sometime on the paved Blackwater Creek Trail in Lynchburg.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 4th, 2020, 10:18 am Ballcoach, unlike Purple Hiaze, I used to do a lot of biking, but not on private property. :nono I'd ride with you sometime on the paved Blackwater Creek Trail in Lynchburg.
#bromance :lol:
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]