This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 4th, 2020, 10:18 am Ballcoach, unlike Purple Hiaze, I used to do a lot of biking, but not on private property. :nono I'd ride with you sometime on the paved Blackwater Creek Trail in Lynchburg.
I didn't know you have a bicycle. I have never rode on private property, always on public roads and streets. (and on campus)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 4th, 2020, 11:05 am Liberty is private property :D
As is Nasser’s driveway
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If someone visits Dr. Towns, do they have to call Nasser and request permission to drive on the driveway ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 1:07 pm If someone visits Dr. Towns, do they have to call Nasser and request permission to drive on the driveway ?
Do they live together?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 2:18 pm Same road.
But not the same driveway. So why would they have to ask permission?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 4:20 pm PH, call Hancock Welcome Center Monday, and schedule a tour of campus. It's changed a lot.
Since I was on it last week? I know construction was going fast but that’s incredible
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 5:05 pm I was there yesterday.
Good for you. Do you want a sticker?
By Thirdbase
For those who don’t know, in direct defiance of Jerry Sr.’s wishes, Convo is no longer 3 days a week. There is no more Convo on Mondays. On intermittent Thursday’s they have something called “Convo Select” during morning classes. Those who attend get an automatic excused absence from classes. These changes were put in place at the beginning of the Fall ‘19 semester and were a complete surprise to the faculty.

Additionally, faculty and staff are no longer required to attend convocation on Wednesdays. That tradition gradually disappeared under Nasser. Many faculty quietly enjoy this change as it frees up their schedules, while most staff miss the weekly breaks from work.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of convo as a student but looking back I really was able to hear from a lot of interesting people which I value. I know Sr. valued convo so is interesting to see it get limited but I think 1 day a week is fine.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We are quickly losing touch with a lot of things that made LU a great Christian university. I was hoping that I would be gone, by the time it becomes another Baylor, SMU, etc. Looks like that won't happen. Sr, has to be spinning below that eternal flame. I know it is a fine line to walk ie. too legalistic vs being too lax . Leadership appears to be a little off balance in this regard. IMHO
Last edited by flameshaw on January 4th, 2020, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chris leedlelee
My biggest issue with Nasser is that he has pushed to make convo his own personal talk show. We've had world-class speakers come to LU only for Nasser to ask the same few questions and try to impart his expertise in areas in which he does not have. For example, when Jordan Peterson came, instead of giving a masterful lecture that has earned him worldwide renown, he just answered surface-level questions from Nasser. Almost as if Nasser is trying to morph his career into a talk show host. (We all know of the rumors of Nasser being full of himself, and this new style of convocation seems to affirm it.) Convo has been and was always meant to be an exposition of ideas in about 45 min to hour segments. It should go back to being that way, at least if Convo is actually meant to be for the students' benefit.
Last edited by chris leedlelee on January 4th, 2020, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chris leedlelee
thepostman wrote: January 4th, 2020, 9:04 pm The Nasser Q&A sessions are pretty brutal to sit through.
Absolutely brutal. It would be one thing if Nasser had Barbara Walters level interview skills. Unfortunately, he does not. You can't blame him however, he is a pastor. What we can blame him for, is handicapping the world-class speakers LU invites by making them partake in his silly format instead of giving an intellectual exposition.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: January 4th, 2020, 9:02 pm My biggest issue with Nasser is that he has pushed to make convo his own personal talk show. We've had world-class speakers come to LU only for Nasser to ask the same few questions and try to impart his expertise in areas in which he does not have. For example, when Jordan Peterson came, instead of giving a masterful lecture that has earned him worldwide renown, he just answered surface-level questions from Nasser. Almost as if Nasser is trying to morph his career into a talk show host. (We all know of the rumors of Nasser being full of himself, and this new style of convocation seems to affirm it.) Convo has been and was always meant to be an exposition of ideas in about 45 min to hour segments. It should go back to being that way, at least if Convo is actually meant to be for the students' benefit.
Yeah. I caught that online because Peterson is, you know, BRILLIANT. I kept saying to myself “ok when is the warm up act going to be done so Peterson can do his thing?” LU certainly didn’t get their moneys worth booking him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 10:39 am He juat has been very silent about everything going on is all I'm saying.
What he doesn’t say can’t get him in trouble. He’s probably waiting to see which side is going to prevail
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
With a $400k salary and a free house atop the mountain :roll: he will fight to keep his plum job. Will his benefactor be able to help?

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]