This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote: October 31st, 2020, 5:44 pm There's a lot of sissy men these days,
I don't think I've said this before, but I agree with you. Entertainment (and other things) made it cool to go be pretty boys. Okay, is there any updates on Nasser ? Likely not.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 4:32 pm Women should not be preachers. The Bible will back me up on this.
You would have been more accurate to say “because they don’t wear a suit and tie”
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 30th, 2020, 5:27 pm
TH Spangler wrote: October 30th, 2020, 5:19 pm https://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html
Why doesn't this article refer to 1 Corinthians 14:34 ?

Any building that has a women preaching in it is not a church, and certainly not a bible preaching church.
How are you still single? It’s amazing
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 30th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 30th, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 30th, 2020, 2:39 pm Examples are women preachers/pastors are completely unbiblical and in direct disobedience to God's word.
This is not true. We have an example of Priscilla both teaching and pastoring (shepherding) to Apollos (Acts 18). We also have biblical examples of women being prophets, deacons, and apostles. The only office of the church we don't have a biblical example of is that of elder (overseer).
The example of Priscilla is not referring to the office of overseer(pastor/elder). Did she and Aquilla help Apollos in a discipling way? Of course they did. Women as prophets in the OT or deacons do not hinder nor contradict the clear teachings in the NT church about the way a church should function(1 Timothy 2 to 3). Women apostles? That title was only for the 12, which were all men.

My statement about women preacher's and pastor's was tied to my statement about one of Dr. MacArthur's convictions which is deeply grounded in the Bible. His position is directly tied to the office of elder/pastor and to preach on a Sunday morning(or whenever the weekly gathering of that local congregation happens) is to perform the function of an elder/pastor.

Furthermore, 1 Timothy 2:12, "I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man." When the word of God is opened on a Sunday morning when God's people gather authority over the congregation is being shown by the preaching of the Word of God. When Beth Moore or any woman for that matter is doing this in church on a Sunday it is CLEARLY in direct disobedience to this.
Does it matter what time on Sunday?
Last edited by Just John on November 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 30th, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:22 pm
stokesjokes wrote: October 30th, 2020, 11:03 am

And yet John MacArthur makes your list?
Why would he not make the list?
Maybe I'm overblowing this, but I thought the Beth Moore incident was pretty revealing of his character. Since then, I've looked more deeply into his history and he has been very unkind and uncharitable to others who don't toe his line of doctrine.
I've come to see his brand of hyper-specific mandates on doctrinal issues as a form of new gnosticism- it's making the exact right knowledge/doctrine salvific instead of relationship with Christ and ultimately the fruit that should come with that.
IMO BJU imbued him with a does of their well-known judgmentalism.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Exactly. Send Nasser to Robbie Jones. That will teach him that jeggings, leggings, jeans, yoga pants, and multi-grain cereal snacks are manifestations of the dark side.
chris leedlelee liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Hope Dr Voodie and Nasser had a long talk recently. If you realize what's going on, and Nasser should, Voodie explains what needs to be done.

I'm praying for wise Christian men like Voodie to keep us on course.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 30th, 2021, 8:08 am Heard a rumor that Nasser might be looking for work elsewhere
This would be the best way to “handle” the situation. I don’t think LU has had the large scale purge we’ve all been expecting and is needed. But if people start leaving quietly, I’m ok with that too.
TH Spangler, Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:07 am I'm ok with it but it is the weak way out of a situation.

I've given up on widespread changes and it appears to me Jerry P is getting awfully comfortable in that President's chair.
Certainly would have liked to see a more resolute hand in these decisions but if the end result is the same I’m not gonna complain!
Prevo is an ok place holder but hopefully his tenure is a short one. He’s not the guy to lead LU to where it needs to go
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Agree with the last few posts. IF Lucky-pants is looking for work elsewhere, (please Lord), he was told to. He certainly isn't going to find a job any more cushy, than what he currently has. I know for certain that he was/is not well like by some on the board. However, he has some bit of clout with a group that has kept him at LU thus far. He is not a good/nice/godly, man IMHO.
Want to echo the comments on JP. He does seem to like the perks of being in the big seat, but he needs to move on ASAP. He is not the guy medium or long term.
PTL, for what He has done in the last year.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I often wonder if he was always like this or if the job changed him. I remember years ago in high school seeing him speak at youth conferences and always liked him in that setting. That was over 20 years ago at this point.
Baybird liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Now the board. First they enabled Jr now they're ok with some of these "Fellows" at the Falkirk Center to say stupid things.
By Jonathan Carone
ballah09 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 12:45 pm Now the board. First they enabled Jr now they're ok with some of these "Fellows" at the Falkirk Center to say stupid things.
And that starts and ends with the influence of Jerry Prevo. It’s why we need to find a true president soon.
By chris leedlelee
paradox wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:17 am Exactly. Send Nasser to Robbie Jones. That will teach him that jeggings, leggings, jeans, yoga pants, and multi-grain cereal snacks are manifestations of the dark side.
I would like to second this sentiment.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just curious, what has been done thus far that has some of you folks pleased with the transitional results? Genuinely curious because all I have seen thus far is heads planted firmly in sand and a few nice platitudes coming from Prevo's email that frankly has me strongly in the camp that he seems to be WAY too comfortable basking in the glow of his official capacity.

The current board should not have been left in charge of selecting new leadership. Period. That is what has led to the current wandering in the wilderness we seem find our university. The Greens took the lead and cleaned house at ORU and have restored credibility for a school that had even more serious issues than we did. There appears to be ZERO indication that anything has been done to restructure and clean house of the pods of family members that entrenched themselves into leadership with no apparent qualifications. That should have been done immediately before the presidential search had advanced very far. The mess of a board is actually an impediment to attracting a quality president.

As for Nasser, I suspect that he is keenly aware of the fact that whomever slips into the president role is going to want their own choice in his seat. That may or may not have been clearly stated to Nasser but I feel confident he is aware of his circumstances.
TallyW, Jonathan Carone, thepostman and 4 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 31st, 2021, 10:08 am Just curious, what has been done thus far that has some of you folks pleased with the transitional results? Genuinely curious because all I have seen thus far is heads planted firmly in sand and a few nice platitudes coming from Prevo's email that frankly has me strongly in the camp that he seems to be WAY too comfortable basking in the glow of his official capacity.

The current board should not have been left in charge of selecting new leadership. Period. That is what has led to the current wandering in the wilderness we seem find our university. The Greens took the lead and cleaned house at ORU and have restored credibility for a school that had even more serious issues than we did. There appears to be ZERO indication that anything has been done to restructure and clean house of the pods of family members that entrenched themselves into leadership with no apparent qualifications. That should have been done immediately before the presidential search had advanced very far. The mess of a board is actually an impediment to attracting a quality president.

As for Nasser, I suspect that he is keenly aware of the fact that whomever slips into the president role is going to want their own choice in his seat. That may or may not have been clearly stated to Nasser but I feel confident he is aware of his circumstances.
I was unaware anyone was pleased. I know I’m not
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if anybody who posts here are pleased but I see enough around social media who seem to think Jerry P and the board are doing a stand up job. I have even seen some people throw the idea out there that we bring Jr back. Seriously.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]