This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
So what did you guys think?
Perdue speaks of his faith with Falwell in Virginia
Associated Press

LYNCHBURG, Va. - With less than a month to go before the Nov. 7 election, Republican Gov. Sonny Perdue - counting on strong support from Georgia's Christian conservatives - made a pilgrimage to Virginia for an appearance with the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

In a nearly 30-minute speech to Falwell's Thomas Road Baptist Church, Perdue spoke about his path in finding religion and making it a part of his life, which he said happened about midway through his life before he served in elected office.

"I'm not a governor who happens to be a believer, I'm a believer who happens to be governor," Perdue said.

"Our direction determines our destination," Perdue said. "We need to watch which way we're going."

Perdue said his faith helped prompt him to run for public office.

"I had no aspirations, no ambition to be governor of Georgia, and yet, I had ambitions to be obedient," he said.

Perdue also spoke about love and trust and how telling the truth can be helpful.

"That's what has inspired us to work in this place which God has given us, to ensure the children in Georgia know they're loved," he said.

"Even if they're in state custody or foster care, up for adoption, we want them to know they're loved."

Perdue said his faith will sustain him long after his political career is over.

Perdue said, "the media often asks, 'how do you reconcile politics and your faith?'" I said it's pretty simple. I was a man of faith before I became governor, I'll be a man of faith afterwards and I don't think there's any difference there."

It is the second time Perdue appeared has appeared in church as Falwell's guest in nearly two years and he was embraced warmly by the televangelist again Sunday night.

Perdue entered the church alongside Falwell singing and swaying to a medley of songs before speaking.

Falwell described Perdue to the church's evening audience of about 300 worshippers as "a man of strong faith, godly leadership and a great American."

"He's one of the great governors of one of our great states," Falwell said.

Perdue last visited Lynchburg in 2005 as a featured speaker for Liberty University's convocation.

University of Georgia political science professor Charles Bullock said Sunday that he expected the visit would play well with Georgia's Christian conservative voters.

"There could conceivably be a potential downside," Bullock said. "Some economic conservative Republicans may not look with much favor to Falwell. But I suppose in Georgia it's a net positive."

Perdue's GOP primary challenger, Ray McBerry, portrayed Perdue as not conservative enough for the state. Despite having almost no money or organizational structure he drew nearly 50,000 votes, or about 12 percent of Republican voters in the July 18 primary.

The campaign of Perdue's Democratic opponent, Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor, had no comment Sunday night on Perdue's trip.
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledg ... 712215.htm
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
sonny perdue is a good man. i would love for him to be the gov. of virginia.
CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

Liberty will play winner of New Mexico State-Jacks[…]

LSU

Liberty 3 LSU 1, final. Escobar complete game win.[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

It certainly feels ridiculous to see some of these[…]

Volleyball Coach

Former player and assistant coach Rebecca Ru[…]