This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

All too often, the burdens and responsiblities of leadership marginalize the impact of those men and women in such positions. For Josh Allen, in my experience with him as my leader for two years, this was never the case.

Dorm 7 was my home. Not because it was where I lived, but because of the atmosphere Josh helped to create and protect among 50+ guys living and going to college together. Josh had a way of causing one to pause and ponder if that one disagreed with him. He didn't honor rules for the rules' sake; rather, he honored them for their intent and shaped them to positively affect the lives of the men under his purview. He did his job as a leader and mentor, not because it was his job, but because he loved those young men.

He loved me. I knew it then; I know it even more now. As I've lived more life and learned what love is on a deeper level, I am empowered to look back upon the actions of Josh Allen and recognize that one immutable fact - he loved me. Through the football, through the dorm meetings, through the reps (only a few), through the Bible studies, through the laughs, through the few times we disagreed, and even through a few tears - Josh Allen loved me - just the same as he loved every young man blessed enough to be living in his dorm.

And in love, he made that dorm a home for us young men. In my current pursuits as a leader in my own right, wittingly or not, I have pursued the example of Josh Allen. Simply put, I am a better man because of Josh Allen.

Now Heaven is his home. And the world feels just a little bit empty.
I was never in 7, but I do remember seeing him around. So sad and with a young child. I can't imagine what his family must be going through and all because some idiot was probably drunk and driving on the wrong side of the road. Prayers going out to his family and friends during this time.
I never got to live on The Circle but if I ever did, Josh would have been a guy I would have wanted as my RA. To a lot of students making their first foray away from home, the RA (or whoever is in leadership depending on the university) becomes sort of a secondary father figure. Josh sounds like the kind of guy who, as JK noted, loved his guys and cared for their needs in all three areas: physical, emotional and spiritual and made them better for having been on that hall if they ever either moved to another dorm or moved off campus. I think my best man was on leadership on Dorm 7 at one point so I will see if he was with Josh or not.

Also, I wasn't mentioning life insurance to derail the discussion, but to underscore the importance of making sure that your family is taken care of. you have a lot of guys on here who are right in that age range who are married (myself, SJ, GMTM, postman, I believe FF30 as well come to mind) and its so important to have that sort of support available for your loved ones.
Field Hockey

Having one of your assistants get hired as HC at a[…]

New Mexico State

Spearman single-handedly beat us. Best pitcher […]

LSU

We won 2 last season at UCLA, should have won a 3r[…]

NMSU

I do not see the European players to be as fast as[…]