This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

ATrain, I got up to 238 pounds between 2008 and 2012. Had been on high blood pressure medicine for 15 years or so and the doc wanted me to add cholesterol medicine. I didn't want to do that so I changed my eating habits in early 2012. 4everfsu, I changed my habits slowly -- got rid of sweet tea the first month, burgers the next month, desserts the third month, started cutting back on bread after that, etc. I found if you change habits slowly, it is easier to adjust.

The docs thought the episode in May 2012 was migraine related. Found out six months later it was a TIA or mini-stroke. As it turns out, I lost weight and got my blood pressure under control just in time. The way it was explained to me, high blood pressure causes blood vessels in the brain to become blocked. That leads to strokes. (In my case, I was fortunate it was mini-strokes that did no permanent damage. The numbness only lasted a couple minutes at a time.) After blood pressure returns to normal, the vessels open back up or grow back in a few months to a year. I am off the blood pressure meds now, never started the cholesterol medicine and I don't snore anymore! Feels great to be back to my college weight of 165.
Last edited by JLFJR on November 8th, 2013, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLFJR wrote:ATrain, I got up to 238 pounds between 2008 and 2010. Had been on high blood pressure medicine for 15 years or so and the doc wanted me to add cholesterol medicine. I didn't want to do that so I changed my eating habits in early 2012. 4everfsu, I changed my habits slowly -- got rid of sweet tea the first month, burgers, the next month, desserts the third month, started cutting back on bread after that, etc. I found if you change habits slowly, it is easier to adjust. The docs thought the episode in May 2012 was migraine related. Found out six months later it was a TIA or mini-stroke. As it turns out, I lost weight and got my blood pressure under control just in time. The way it was explained to me, high blood pressure causes blood vessels in the brain to become blocked. After blood pressure returns to normal, the vessels open back up or grow back in a few months to a year. I am off the blood pressure meds now, never started the cholesterol medicine and I don't snore anymore. Feels great!
I'm sure Mrs JLFJR is happy too :pbjtime

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Doesn't affect us at all, but our former Big South[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]