This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Institutional arrogance defined.
I'm sure the company line will be 'Protecting the integrity of the brand".
I'm sure Lipscomb isn't #FBSReady
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This was actually stated quite awhile back. Lamar & Lehigh also were impacted. My understanding is that this is limited to trademarks. The initials can still be used but not for marketing purposes.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:This was actually stated quite awhile back. Lamar & Lehigh also were impacted. My understanding is that this is limited to trademarks. The initials can still be used but not for marketing purposes.
So what? It's not like their school colors a re similar to ours. It's not like we compete with them in any reasonable way. It's an example of looking to take umbrage when there is none to be taken
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Just curious--have we gotten any feedback from our LU neighors and fellow Big South member from Farmville?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts

Lehigh has apparently never marketed themselves as LU. So they don't seem to have a dog in the fight. And to a certain degree, Longwood has never really pushed an LU branding either. Now that will no longer be a big concern.

I come from a marketing background and frankly I have no issue with this move by the school. Considering the fact that we are marketing ourselves as a national brand, it only makes sense to maintain some controls on the branding.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Image

Lehigh has apparently never marketed themselves as LU. So they don't seem to have a dog in the fight. And to a certain degree, Longwood has never really pushed an LU branding either. Now that will no longer be a big concern.

I come from a marketing background and frankly I have no issue with this move by the school. Considering the fact that we are marketing ourselves as a national brand, it only makes sense to maintain some controls on the branding.
I come from a marketing background too. I think its silly.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If we really think people will confuse us for them then we also have a gigantic inferiority complex on top of our arrogance.

AKA the 2007 version of me on FlameFans.

No one liked that guy.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:If we really think people will confuse us for them then we also have a gigantic inferiority complex on top of our arrogance.

AKA the 2007 version of me on FlameFans.

No one liked that guy.
I thought you were hot
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Funny, since Liberty wanted to abandon LU all together not so long ago. I'm sure there's legal precedent for this, but come on. I really hate the arrogance that is consistently shown by the school's administration.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Funny, since Liberty wanted to abandon LU all together not so long ago. I'm sure there's legal precedent for this, but come on. I really hate the arrogance that is consistently shown by the school's administration.
You beat me to it. I remember the decision and reversal was all within a year.

The next question is how long will it take BJ to go running to the Chancellor to tell on us :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote:Has any other school done this?
It doesn't matter what other schools have done. We are a unique brand and must do everything in our power to protect it at all costs!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This has been done in a number of instances. My understanding is that the reason why there was a LU ban was the legal machinations were underway and until the trademark was granted we didn't want to expose ourselves should we lose.

I get some of the emotions in this thread. But I still have no problems with using this legal instrument to protect our brand that online in particular has established. If you don't think schools like Longwood, Lamar & Lipscomb envy our online efforts and would love to emulate them then you are not as attuned to academia as you could be.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
No one describes Liberty as LU. When people ask where I went, I say Liberty, not LU.

Our brand isn't big enough to be jerks. Southern Cal's is.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
LU Online is more commonly used than Liberty University Online. Distance is driving this legal move much more than residential.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:This has been done in a number of instances. My understanding is that the reason why there was a LU ban was the legal machinations were underway and until the trademark was granted we didn't want to expose ourselves should we lose.

I get some of the emotions in this thread. But I still have no problems with using this legal instrument to protect our brand that online in particular has established. If you don't think schools like Longwood, Lamar & Lipscomb envy our online efforts and would love to emulate them then you are not as attuned to academia as you could be.
:BS
LU Online is more often referred to and abbreviated LUO. There was no 'threat' to our brand from these schools and their logo's. Lipscomb. Lamar and Longwood don't have the resources or ability to threaten our online presence and even if they did its a rather flimsy argument to assert that people couldn't tell the difference between us and them.
The reason the case wasn't pursued was because Lipscomb didn't have the financial resources to fight it. We could have taken the high road but instead asserted a right we didn't have to. LU Law paying dividends again.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]