This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:That was for jbock who had me carefully note what he had posted...and really..does everything have to be labeled potentially racist or potentially sexist or potentially homophobic? Even in an attempt to be funny?
Racist? :dontgetit
You're the one using that type of language not me.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Im just talking about how people get overly offended by every little thing. Somebody makes a comment and next thing you know the NAACP or some other organization has to get involved because of some overblown and perceived hurt.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The use of the phrase butthurt somehow implies that gay men are inferior and less masculine. I expect a full apology from a certain BJWilliams along with a private message explaining himself.

NOTE TO ALL: The above is meant to be taken as sarcasm and a lame attempt at pulling a Beej
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
:fight
ATrain wrote:The use of the phrase butthurt somehow implies that gay men are inferior and less masculine. I expect a full apology from a certain BJWilliams along with a private message explaining himself.

NOTE TO ALL: The above is meant to be taken as sarcasm and a lame attempt at pulling a Beej
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Oy...my point is that everyone getting offended over some perceived insult (which may only be that way in their own mind) just bothers me. Thankfully ATrain sees the stupidity in being offended for offense's sake (and even if he had not made his addendum at the bottom I would know he was being sarcastic much as I know that PH is being a jerk for jerk's sake)
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ATrain wrote:pulling a Beej
Is that how you guys do it?
That depends on what the meaning of the word is is :twisted:
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
This reminds me of the LU Monogram going on the mountain and the discussions on here. This is strictly a business decision, a good one. It's a non issue.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Oy...my point is that everyone getting offended over some perceived insult (which may only be that way in their own mind) just bothers me. Thankfully ATrain sees the stupidity in being offended for offense's sake (and even if he had not made his addendum at the bottom I would know he was being sarcastic much as I know that PH is being a jerk for jerk's sake)
So now we are just going for personal attacks?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Rooster Cogburn wrote:This reminds me of the LU Monogram going on the mountain and the discussions on here. This is strictly a business decision, a good one. It's a non issue.
I love the LU monogram I just think they put it on the wrong mountain/hill. I would have loved to see it line up with the South end of the end zone. But no one asked me
No one disagrees that it was a business decision. Whether or not it was a necessary one is what is in question.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So, I have yet to read a reason NOT to have let Lipscomb know they were in violation of our legal trademark and initiate negotiations for its use, other than it annoyed a couple of Lipscombians.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:So, I have yet to read a reason NOT to have let Lipscomb know they were in violation of our legal trademark and initiate negotiations for its use, other than it annoyed a couple of Lipscombians.
:dontgetit
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I realize it's probably a run-on sentence but I've read it back 3 or 4 times. It's not that hard to decipher.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I realize it's probably a run-on sentence but I've read it back 3 or 4 times. It's not that hard to decipher.
It is when you are only paying partial attention!
And you've been supplied with several reasons why it maybe wasn't the best idea
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:So, I have yet to read a reason NOT to have let Lipscomb know they were in violation of our legal trademark and initiate negotiations for its use, other than it annoyed a couple of Lipscombians.
I don't think anyone is saying they aren't in violation of it. I think it's crap that we went in after the fact and trademarked something they'd been using for years and then made them change it.

Lipscomb is not going to compete with Liberty. They're hurting absolutely no one. They're a small private school in Nashville living in the shadow of Vandy and Belmont. We flexed our muscle for the sake of flexing our muscle.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The articles that I have been reading stated that adding the interlocking LU logo was actually a recent event.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
As the general counsel stated, if you don't take control of your intellectual property, you are risking the loss of rights in the future. It's flexing the muscle for the sake of keeping it in shape.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:The articles that I have been reading stated that adding the interlocking LU logo was actually a recent event.
They actually INTERLOCKED thee L AND the U :shock:

What's next? Dogs and cats living together? Pestilence and famine :D

Their colors are Purple and Gold. Ours are Red White and Blue. I can see where that would be confusing
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:As the general counsel stated, if you don't take control of your intellectual property, you are risking the loss of rights in the future. It's flexing the muscle for the sake of keeping it in shape.
And Lipscomb said they had a case but not the resources. We beat up the 98 lb weakling.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:As the general counsel stated, if you don't take control of your intellectual property, you are risking the loss of rights in the future. It's flexing the muscle for the sake of keeping it in shape.
I get what you are saying but if the shoe was on the other foot and it was someone doing it to us we would all be freaking out, myself included, because its completely stupid and very petty.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
AP piece in the N & A. Sounds like some of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Actually, not even a mole hill. You sound like the N&A commenters who deride anything Liberty does.

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lync ... f6878.html
Lipscomb's Vice President for Communications, Deby Samuels, told The Tennessean the school started using the “LU” logo a few months ago.
“While it was one that we felt we had the right to use, when contacted by another school about the mark we chose to simply return to using the word Lipscomb,” Samuels said.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:AP piece in the N & A. Sounds like some of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Actually, not even a mole hill. You sound like the N&A commenters who deride anything Liberty does.

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lync ... f6878.html
Lipscomb's Vice President for Communications, Deby Samuels, told The Tennessean the school started using the “LU” logo a few months ago.
“While it was one that we felt we had the right to use, when contacted by another school about the mark we chose to simply return to using the word Lipscomb,” Samuels said.
Exactly. Making this a legal matter was making a mountain out of a mole hill :D
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]