This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
This isn't new. If you remember back when we started FlamesNation, I had one of my pics of the crowd at a football game set up as the background. In the pic was a guy holding an "LU" flag. I was forced to remove that photo because it had "LU" in it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:This isn't new. If you remember back when we started FlamesNation, I had one of my pics of the crowd at a football game set up as the background. In the pic was a guy holding an "LU" flag. I was forced to remove that photo because it had "LU" in it.
And now you are part of The System.......like some posters....
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:LU Online is more commonly used than Liberty University Online. Distance is driving this legal move much more than residential.
So we want people to equate us with University of Phoenix and Devry when they think of LU...BRILLIANT!!!!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:LU Online is more commonly used than Liberty University Online. Distance is driving this legal move much more than residential.
So we want people to equate us with University of Phoenix and Devry when they think of LU...BRILLIANT!!!!
#FBSOnlineready
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:LU Online is more commonly used than Liberty University Online.
Really? Source? I've never heard of "LU Online," but there are plenty of national ads for "Liberty University Online" running around.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
You guys are so sensitive about everything. If you want to brand yourselves at "the" LU, and you own it, why would you let anybody else use it? You guys seem to have a problem with everything this school does.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:You guys are so sensitive about everything. If you want to brand yourselves at "the" LU, and you own it, why would you let anybody else use it? You guys seem to have a problem with everything this school does.
I would say the sensitive ones are the ones using strong arm tactics to make a mountain out of a mole hill. And based on the USC v USC court battle had Lipscomb the money to fight this they would have.
Also, how is disagreeing with one thing automatically lump someone into being against everything? Talk about being overly sensitive.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Arrogance to trademark LU? Laughable. It is a good business decision. Some need to take their blankey's and marbles an go find something else to complain about. Pamper's too expensive? :)
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
LUconn wrote:You guys are so sensitive about everything. If you want to brand yourselves at "the" LU, and you own it, why would you let anybody else use it? You guys seem to have a problem with everything this school does.
I would say the sensitive ones are the ones using strong arm tactics to make a mountain out of a mole hill. And based on the USC v USC court battle had Lipscomb the money to fight this they would have.
Also, how is disagreeing with one thing automatically lump someone into being against everything? Talk about being overly sensitive.
You just like to argue about anything. But most folks in these parts are just a bunch of boo birds these days.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
You just like to argue about anything. But most folks in these parts are just a bunch of boo birds these days.
What's wrong with that. But you will find I argue my convictions. I think this is nothing more than being a bully. This is NOT a good business decision. There was little if any harm being done to Liberty/LU/LUOnline from the likes of Lamar or Lipscomb or Lafayette or Lehigh or anyone else. Rather, it makes us look petty and arrogant.
Remember the only reason we 'won' was because the other schools didn't have the resources to fight it. Imagine how we've felt when that's happened to us.
By SeoulFlame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Arrogance to trademark LU? Laughable. It is a good business decision. Some need to take their blankey's and marbles an go find something else to complain about. Pamper's too expensive? :)
Agreed. Anyone that has worked in the business world knows that it would be foolish to not protect your brand. We don't know what will happen down the road. Like the USC case. We have to be confident in our decisions as a university. Our job is not to strive to have other universities like us. Have good relationships but don't give away stuff.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SeoulFlame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Arrogance to trademark LU? Laughable. It is a good business decision. Some need to take their blankey's and marbles an go find something else to complain about. Pamper's too expensive? :)
Agreed. Anyone that has worked in the business world knows that it would be foolish to not protect your brand. We don't know what will happen down the road. Like the USC case. We have to be confident in our decisions as a university. Our job is not to strive to have other universities like us. Have good relationships but don't give away stuff.
There are a lot of practices in the business world I hope we don't emulate. This was smashing a flea with a sledgehammer. Totally right in the business sense. You do want to crush and destroy your opponent just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. That is also a well respected business practice.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I just see it as the admin getting into stupid pissing contests because they can. They act like spoiled kids who do whatever they have to in order to get their way. I didn't have as strong of an opinion on these things but over the past month I've heard more and more stories of North Campus doing things like this. I love my school and what it stands for, but I can't sit around and see this stuff and turn the other way.
By SeoulFlame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
SeoulFlame wrote:
There are a lot of practices in the business world I hope we don't emulate. This was smashing a flea with a sledgehammer. Totally right in the business sense. You do want to crush and destroy your opponent just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. That is also a well respected business practice.
I think this is hardly crushing or destroying anyone. You are right that we should not take all business practices and put them into play in our context. That being said, a business/school can't function assuming that others will take a high ground on issues like this. You know what they say happen when you assume.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
But they weren't doing anything threatening. There is nothing threatening they COULD do. All we did was throw our weight around for no reason against someone who couldn't fight back.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I just told my wife what we did. Her response, without reading anything on here, was "Really?! That's why no one likes you guys."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I just told my wife what we did. Her response, without reading anything on here, was "Really?! That's why no one likes you guys."
That's because she doesn't know our history and the struggles we've gone through to get to this point. She doesn't have the vision of our future where we must say Never Again. She lives in her own little bubble, unaware of the big picture of what it means to be LU/Liberty/LUOnline/Liberty Online/LUO. A big name requiring a big vision. :flamingdevil
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Can't win for losing sometimes...Liberty copyrights LU and makes an effort to protect itself, its "no wonder nobody likes us" and "Man this is another horrible PR move". If somebody else copyrighted the LU and the university ended up in some protracted arbitration process, then the comments probably are about why the university did not make a proactive effort to protect part of its brand or some other such nonsense...and it STILL would be about "no wonder nobody likes us". Makes me shake my head the thought process of people around here sometimes.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If this were about the Liberty brand it could be worth it. This about the LU brand; one in which 90% of the people associated with Liberty will never use.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Can't win for losing sometimes...Liberty copyrights LU and makes an effort to protect itself, its "no wonder nobody likes us" and "Man this is another horrible PR move". If somebody else copyrighted the LU and the university ended up in some protracted arbitration process, then the comments probably are about why the university did not make a proactive effort to protect part of its brand or some other such nonsense...and it STILL would be about "no wonder nobody likes us". Makes me shake my head the thought process of people around here sometimes.
If you actually had clarity of thought about the process that would help. Have you even looked at the article regarding Lipscomb? The USC v USC decision? If not, it would help. If so, you might want to reread them and discuss where the issue was.

This is the money quote from Lipscomb
"“In subsequent weeks, outside legal counsel was retained, and several attempts were made at reasonable negotiation. In the end, there were two options: one, initiate federal court litigation to adjudicate the rights to “LU” or, two, discontinue its use. The cost and distraction to take the issue to court would be substantial and the outcome could still be negative. Therefore, the decision was made to immediately transition away from the use of “LU” campus wide.”

From the USC case
Although South Carolina will no longer be able to use an “SC” logo, it may continue to use “USC” logos in accordance with its concurrent use agreement with Southern California that allows both schools to use “USC” logos in their respective geographical territories. Interestingly, “SC” logos are known to be used by sixteen other colleges in the United States, but the other schools were found to have an insignificant effect on the strength of Southern California’s registered mark.

Discuss amongst yourself the similarity and difference. Study
Last edited by Purple Haize on October 28th, 2013, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]