This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
het guys, I know that it has been noted the dislike by some as to the style of music at the campus radio station, especially the last few years, but they need help this week as it is the annual student scholarship fundraiser. I donated as an alum and former on air personality and hope that you guys can step up and do the same so that they can compensate the students who are in management over the various areas. I especially hope that postie is able to donate.

You can call 434 582 2909 0r 866 890 0909 to make a pledge or visit https://www.liberty.edu/thelight/donate/ and make a pledge there
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Like the station or not it's a great learning tool and while working there a learned a lot. I will be giving a one time gift as I always do.

Thanks for calling me out beej!
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
We have to work on this sales pitch a little bit.
Do you remember that station that you hated because they play crappy music? They need money. Liberty University has too much money and can't find ways to spend it. But the station needs your money in order to pay people.
It never was a part of my daily routine, but I know a number of people who enjoyed the station and hope to hear it do well in the future.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote:We have to work on this sales pitch a little bit.
Do you remember that station that you hated because they play crappy music? They need money. Liberty University has too much money and can't find ways to spend it. But the station needs your money in order to pay people.
honesty in advertising.

well done.

love to hear the "official stance" on that one.

probably similar to why they couldnt find money for the wrestling program.

good news tho- we're going varsity in women's basket weaving next fall
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I could be wrong but I think the tower had to be moved and the signal is now only reachable on campus and the areas directly surrounding the university. Not exactly a large pool to raise money from.

I agree. I always wished the school invested more than they did but it's really a niche industry so I mean it's not ever going to be a top priority.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I do too but the Light-A-Thon is a tradition that predates the recent financial success. Postie Im sure recalls manning the tent in the courtyard or working the phones or that last push to get donations right before the parade (I always missed that last part because I was with the band).

As for why they dont get money from the university to cover these scholarships, I really don't know for sure. Maybe they didnt want to take money with all sorts of strings attached as to music and programming and management or what not but that is just me thinking as I type in saying that. I don't think that its on the same plane as the issues with wrestling (and I can understand why youre still bitter about that PA). I would love for the station to be able to reach out into the community and get a lot of those young people that would listen while doing homework or what not like they did when I had my Friday show a few years back. Also, to Sch14, think of it this way, you donate, they can offer scholarships to students managers, then they can work on coming up with music and programming that you would find enjoyable when you tune in from your computer wherever you may happen to be.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A Christian College radio station would be the perfect vehicle to expose new bands and artists to a larger audience. I wonder if Lynchburg has anything like that
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: Also, to Sch14, think of it this way, you donate, they can offer scholarships to students managers, then they can work on coming up with music and programming that you would find enjoyable when you tune in from your computer wherever you may happen to be.
I actually just started supporting the Flames Club, whose finances I assume helped employ me within the Athletic Department during my educational stay. That and Federal Work Study. Either way, it's way too long of a delay there.

If I see a guy with a Liberty T-shirt at one of my soccer games in Auburndale FL, which has happened, I will be sure to spread the word that the radio station student workers needs his money.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:

I actually just started supporting the Flames Club, whose finances I assume helped employ me within the Athletic Department during my educational stay. That and Federal Work Study. Either way, it's way too long of a delay there.
:woohoo
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:A Christian College radio station would be the perfect vehicle to expose new bands and artists to a larger audience. I wonder if Lynchburg has anything like that
I didn't so that many great things in my days as a college student but I am proud of the work I did with the light. I exposed a fairly decent audience at the time to artists they couldn't hear anywhere else. Brought local artists in to interview them and give them exposure they weren't getting anywhere else. That, by far, is what I am most proud of with my time at Liberty and the light.

However, listening to the station in recent times, I am disappointed in what it has become. Granted it is a very difficult balance and not a easy job.

They deserve the support but that is a biased opinion.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I could be wrong but I think the tower had to be moved and the signal is now only reachable on campus and the areas directly surrounding the university. Not exactly a large pool to raise money from.

I agree. I always wished the school invested more than they did but it's really a niche industry so I mean it's not ever going to be a top priority.
Liberty also now operates a 90.9 (satellite of 88.3) in Covington which also interferes with the signal west of the Bedford/Campbell line.
5 plus 7 model

It could happen, Haize. A selfie in front of Moydr[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]