This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
Apparently the bookstore has fallen on hard times and now limits the discount on Touchdown Tuesdays to one logo item. Must be difficult to not be able to charge those outrageous prices on one whole item :roll: .

Walmart has been getting a good selection of logo items and in return more of my business. Guess that's another reason why Touchdown Tuesdays isn't so great anymore. Sad that B&N can not make much money off of those $18 car flags that the evil Walmart sells for $10.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yeah the last couple times I've been down I walked around there and went "yeah... no" and went across the street.

a shame b/c I don't mind parting with money- but even I have limits.

$85.00 for a jacket? c'mon man. how do college kids buy anything in there?
PAmedic wrote:yeah the last couple times I've been down I walked around there and went "yeah... no" and went across the street.

Mommy and daddy.
TDDance234 wrote:
PAmedic wrote:yeah the last couple times I've been down I walked around there and went "yeah... no" and went across the street.

Mommy and daddy.
Student loans
Pell Grants
Illegal sports betting rings...
Purple Haize wrote:
TDDance234 wrote:

Mommy and daddy.
Student loans
Pell Grants
Illegal sports betting rings...
Maybe some sort of elaborate pyramid scheme?
Everyone knows campus stores are among the biggest scams in the USA economy. Only time I ever shop at my school's campus store is when I get the 20% off birthday coupon, and they don't even do that anymore. ~$50-60 for a polo shirt? $80+ for a jacket, and not even a winter jacket at that? Sorry, I don't like getting robbed.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Many have money mom and dad put in their account for books that they just shared with a friend or borrowed from the library. Use it or lose it right? There will just be more money there somehow next semester!
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan30 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Can't forget black market sales of snacks and drinks out of their dorm rooms...
i did that with my roommates. it was awesome, and i feel like it taught us some legitimate business skills.
+1

I also had a thriving business (old hag alert!) selling 5 1/4" floppy discs for less than you could get them from Academic Computing, back in the day. I had a source that charged .30 a disc if I bought in bulk, I sold them for a dollar (vs. $1.50 in the lab). Right up until Student Services shut me down for not having registered as a vendor, or some such nonsense.

I think the online strategy has proven to ha[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

After a rough 0-3 start I’ve battled back to[…]

Liberty Campus "protest"

Now this is what a college experience should be.

NCAA Realignment Megathread

4, 20 team conferences would be perfect. As long a[…]