This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Here is a pic of the new Library, along with the "lake." (I can't figure out how to get the photo to show in the post).
Last edited by alabama24 on August 26th, 2013, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:gotta use a 3rd party host for that one
I had the photo stored in dropbox… I guess that doesn't work?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Whether that is meant as sarcasm or not, probably not til closer to opening. The books in the DeMoss Library are in storage for the most part until they can be put in the robotic system and Id guess that will start happening mid-semester (if it hasnt started already) in time for the opening for next semester
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Whether that is meant as sarcasm or not, probably not til closer to opening. The books in the DeMoss Library are in storage for the most part until they can be put in the robotic system and Id guess that will start happening mid-semester (if it hasnt started already) in time for the opening for next semester
Incorrect. The system has been loaded since about the first week of August. There will be some stock in the old library but a majority of the items are already there.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Whether that is meant as sarcasm or not, probably not til closer to opening. The books in the DeMoss Library are in storage for the most part until they can be put in the robotic system and Id guess that will start happening mid-semester (if it hasnt started already) in time for the opening for next semester
Incorrect. The system has been loaded since about the first week of August. There will be some stock in the old library but a majority of the items are already there.
Take that Capt Smartypants!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for that bob...I guess that my thought was they wouldnt start loading until it was closer to time to open the library. I don't really see it as a "take that" kind of moment, I just offered my speculation on the matter and bob corrected me which I rather appreciate because having seen the library in DeMoss look somewhat empty of late I was rather curious myself
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I just thought the logistics of moving all the books in and out was fascinating. It's not really something you can automate.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I just thought the logistics of moving all the books in and out was fascinating. It's not really something you can automate.
I guess I missed out on ANOTHER job opportunity. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I just thought the logistics of moving all the books in and out was fascinating. It's not really something you can automate.
I guess I missed out on ANOTHER job opportunity. :I chortle audibly.:
You would probably have to be literate so.........
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
I guess I missed out on ANOTHER job opportunity. :I chortle audibly.:

Trust me, you didn't miss anything :)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
As long as the robot that moves the books around isn't made from a company called Cyberdyne and isn't controlled by something called Skynet, I'm okay.

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If you're my FB friend, I posted 41 pics of the new library yesterday, mostly from the inside!

Some statistics I learned yesterday:

Cost = $50 million
Size = 4 stories and 170,000 square feet
160 computers
3rd floor will have around 74 lockers with USB chargers
36 group study rooms painted with walls that you can write on
4,200 bins that can hold 120 books each means capacity for for over half a million volumes
Food Court = Starbucks, pizza, sushi, and a Panara-like restaurant
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:If you're my FB friend, I posted 41 pics of the new library yesterday, mostly from the inside!

Some statistics I learned yesterday:

Cost = $50 million
Size = 4 stories and 170,000 square feet
160 computers
3rd floor will have around 74 lockers with USB chargers
36 group study rooms painted with walls that you can write on
4,200 bins that can hold 120 books each means capacity for for over half a million volumes
Food Court = Starbucks, pizza, sushi, and a Panara-like restaurant
That doesn't sound like a lot of computers. Maybe they realize that kids don't use libraries any more so they don't need too many.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Just based on a cursory walk through campus on the way to recording an interview for my show tomorrow night, Id say I saw a laptop every two or three people so though I do think kids still use libraries, the need to sitting down and doing your homework on a computer in the library has been significantly reduced
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Right, I'd say most kids will be bringing a laptop with them, so not as many PC's will be needed.

And if you happen to be on campus, be on guard as BJ may be cursorily staring at you...possibly following you.
By flameslinger
Registration Days Posts
The lockers are a nice addition. I'm curious if they have any area set aside for assigned study carrels or assigned study space for doctoral students. That's a small portion of the enrollment, but I would assume they are using the hard copy resources more than anyone else.
Family Travel Obsession

If you have a rental car in Paris this summer, bra[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]

5 plus 7 model

I wouldn't build this up and get your hopes up tha[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]