This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:MM might have been an option for the Dickey's spot (course they are reopening). Wards Road is getting pretty saturated as far as the area within a the immediate radius of LU so anymore restaurants will have to either extend down toward the airport and the SoA or go in an existing piece of real estate
Mellow Mushroom typically occupies old buildings in downtown areas, but sometimes they go with newer construction. I don't think Dickey's would be large enough anyway.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: That's a different style of pizza - I prefer mine being made by people that clean their hands and don't sweat all over my food. Some are very good, don't get me wrong - this is just a different type of item that those.
valid point.

I just wouldnt know what to do if some sweaty guy WASNT screaming at me in Italian while his 3 brothers, a sister or 2 and his old man stood there laughing at me.

just warms the heart...

PS: don't forget the faux-brick wallboard, phones ringing off the hook and blaring opera music
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
prototype wrote: That's a different style of pizza - I prefer mine being made by people that clean their hands and don't sweat all over my food. Some are very good, don't get me wrong - this is just a different type of item that those.
valid point.

I just wouldnt know what to do if some sweaty guy WASNT screaming at me in Italian while his 3 brothers, a sister or 2 and his old man stood there laughing at me.

just warms the heart...

PS: don't forget the faux-brick wallboard, phones ringing off the hook and blaring opera music
He lives in Forest it's what you can expect from that type of people!
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
slice of bacci's and a drink 4.00

vito and nicks

and the best deep dish in chicago..pequods

look burnt on the edges? of course it does, they add cheese to the edge so that its all nice and crusty....my favorite part.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
MM is a client of mine... They are opening up in Richmond here in a couple of months and they are going to open up 4 other locations in VA within the next couple of years. They have one in Chapel Hill opening up in a couple of months on Franklin Street.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Is the food still free? Might want to keep a lid on that if everyone is welcome.
Food is free. Policy at all these openings - if anyone shows up - we feed them. With weather being a deterrent for some - we will see a decrease in numbers tonight, so if our friends at FlameFans want a free meal - bring it on...

This is partly a promotion of the concept, but mainly about testing systems/staff/timing as we open on Saturday.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:I'm going to show up and tell my kids to act like those other kids at Chuck E Cheese's.....you know, to test your systems and staff.
I wouldn't expect anything less... ;) Will be a great opportunity to test tasers too...
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Follow Up: The pizza was very good. The restaurant was a little different than I expected, but I really like the concept. Pizza's are for 1-2 people… Prices for the "specialty" pizzas were in the $8 range (I had BBQ Chicken Pizza). The atmosphere was upscale, fast casual. It would be a good place a working lunch. We will certainly go again. Thanks for inviting us Proto. :)

FYI - Here is the website:

http://www.arosto.com
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Follow Up: The pizza was very good. The restaurant was a little different than I expected, but I really like the concept. Pizza's are for 1-2 people… Prices for the "specialty" pizzas were in the $8 range (I had BBQ Chicken Pizza). The atmosphere was upscale, fast casual. It would be a good place a working lunch. We will certainly go again. Thanks for inviting us Proto. :)

FYI - Here is the website:

http://www.arosto.com
Thanks Alabama - Thanks for braving the elements and coming out. To have the weather we did and still get over 400 people to show up was amazing. Place was packed and did exactly what it needed to do - provide customers to test procedures, systems and train staff in a real fast moving environment. They will be ready for Saturday's Grand Opening.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I would love to have been one of those customers who showed up thinking "Hey, new restaurant's open, let's check it out", and when they order everything is free. Best-decision-ever.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:I would love to have been one of those customers who showed up thinking "Hey, new restaurant's open, let's check it out", and when they order everything is free. Best-decision-ever.
With weather - only had about 8 of those, but they were surprised. One guy refused to not pay - left a $20 bill on the table... Only got about $11 worth of food. It's a good practice with an event like this. Yes, it cost money for food and staff, but good will goes a long way and telling someone at the door "sorry this event isn't for you" isn't worth losing a customer. These people are normally the ones that will say very loyal forever.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Pizza was very good (especially the cheese). I had the Tuscony, because I can't eat pizza without lots of meat. I'm not a salad guy, but those salads looked really good, and huge.

I asked about the rules for the build-your-own ($8), and she told me basically there are no rules. You can put anything and as much as you want on it. What? You guys are going to get killed on that one. My cousin ordered one of the sandwiches and it looked pretty good.

You said the menu was going to be limited. What else will be offered other than what was available last night?

Anyways, thanks for the invite, my family really enjoyed it. (That reminds me, how did you get my email address? Am I on some sort of list?)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:I asked about the rules for the build-your-own ($8), and she told me basically there are no rules.
So basically it is more dangerous than Thunderdome
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]