This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By mrmacphisto
Registration Days Posts
I was on the way home from running down on Percival's Island today, about to stop at 7-Eleven for a Slurpee, when I decided to check out the signs in Gene's window. One will certainly bring back memories for some of you. The other may bring a tear to your eye:

Apparently it's been bought by some Christian organization/church group. Possibly the same group that sells the church robes nextdoor. I would have taken a photo of the rezoning sheet (also in the window), but it's barely readable.

Anyone else miss Gene's? Any stories to share? First experience? Most memorable?[/img]
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Genes was one of my favorite memories of Lynchburg. I remember it being the first trip I took around L'burg. An upperclassman from our hall took my roomate and I out on 'the town' and we ended up down at Genes late at night with all of the pool sharks.

Over the years we went there somewhat regularly. Genes was incredibly cheap but provided some of the best service in town!

After your game is over you could tap your stick and get professional service with a re-rack. Great people and great times...
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
ahhhhhhhhhh, this brought a sick feeling to my stomach tonight. I'm glad I had a final chance to visit back in April before it closed down in May. so many good and funny memories
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
"took my roommate and me"-objective pronoun needed; "I" is subjective- just substitute "took I" to test it (I still catch myself sometimes) :)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You'd never guess you were a mother. :lol:
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Gene's seems like it was a place I would've enjoyed going to. :(
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
spent many a night there. Fergie was definitely the man. Sad to hear of his passing, I guess several years ago now, someone was saying in another thread.

oh well.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
i spent so much time there my first year and a half here at liberty....lots of good memories, and late nights....and old black guys listening to great music on the jukebox....
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Jasmen8182 wrote:Gene's seems like it was a place I would've enjoyed going to. :(

Actually, although it is widely accepted, you should not end a sentence with a preposition. The sentence structure is wrong. It should be: "Gene's sounds like a place to which I would have enjoyed going." But who talks like that? I had to stop being the grammar police on the last board because they gave me a hard time and GMTM made it a full time job for me. :wink:

(Jassy, just giving you a hard time because you are one of the boys now) :D
By mrmacphisto
Registration Days Posts
You could just change the word from "going" to "visiting" or some other appropriate word, then drop the "to" completely.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
If this place turns into grammar city, I'm out.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Don't tempt, SJ. :lol:
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
He has just cause :)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
It's a message board, unless you're smack talking, no one cares about grammar.
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
for the abundance of friendly reminders I can look TO. If I remember correctly, they brought that up on "Everybody Loves Raymond" once- or was that a different show it was ON? It must be a memory cloud I'm UNDER. Some of us wouldn't have thought of it BEFORE. Maybe I should just jump ABOARD. :D
Tally, I just had an idea; when there's a tendency toward "rambulation"-rambling about punctuation-
then a separate thread might do the trick. (BTW, is that last word a verb or noun?) If I call the thread "Eats, shoots and leaves"- after one of my fav. books which is full of humorous examples of inappropriate apostrophe use, etc.- then some may be misled into thinking it's an action-packed news article. Perhaps "rambulation" is a good title for the thread. Now everyone can get back to mourning Gene's. (I recently spoke with a friend from Lynch. that I met at Homecoming last yr. She said she hadn't been to Gene's either :? )
By Jasmen8182
Registration Days Posts
Guess I'll put the aforementioned under the Courtyard section.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
gene's was a classic! it is sad the ole' place finally shut down...a possible business venture for the medic??
LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/si[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Byron Donalds is an up and coming republican.

Liberty Campus "protest"

Let's set aside the 180 degree contrast in message[…]

I think the online strategy has proven to ha[…]