This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
Last week of Jan gone and 1st week of Feb ( latest they said team, would move in to LFC ) Any scoop ? Dying to see a video tour when it is all done. I haven’t even seen a pic of north side exterior with glass installed.
tyndal23 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 10:48 pm Last week of Jan gone and 1st week of Feb ( latest they said team, would move in to LFC ) Any scoop ? Dying to see a video tour when it is all done. I haven’t even seen a pic of north side exterior with glass installed.
Freeze stated in the press conference that the team should be moving end by the end of this month.
tyndal23 liked this
tyndal23 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 10:48 pm Last week of Jan gone and 1st week of Feb ( latest they said team, would move in to LFC ) Any scoop ? Dying to see a video tour when it is all done. I haven’t even seen a pic of north side exterior with glass installed.
Yeah it got pushed back a little bit. I would have gotten a pic when I was over there Wednesday for the press conference but it was very cloudy/foggy and raining.
Yes, parking garage does look massive. I see workers over there but not on Arena - wondering if:

1. football operations was able to have wights transferred to weight room and furniture delivered.
2. Roof still being lowered on Vines
3. Arena able to be completed on time now.

Petty things to wonder about, but curious.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 19th, 2020, 3:57 pm Yes, parking garage does look massive. I see workers over there but not on Arena - wondering if:

1. football operations was able to have wights transferred to weight room and furniture delivered.

Regarding #1 - The football operations center is a big upgrade from the previous facility that was really nice. It's not going to open until it is 100% ready and done right. There is some of the work that has to be redone and some furnishings/equipment needs to be replaced. Not opening until being completely was decided prior to practices being canceled. That's the way HCHF wants it. The old weight room was moved to the IPF. All of the used equipment in the IPF will be repurposed at other facilities on campus. The weight room has all new equipment being shipped to the campus. Furniture was not in the building as of the week of the ASUN basketball championships. At this point, the timing of the opening of the facility is not as important since spring practice is canceled and the athletes have returned home. I'm sure the coaches look forward to getting in their new offices and getting out of temporary facilities.
tyndal23 wrote: March 19th, 2020, 3:57 pm Yes, parking garage does look massive. I see workers over there but not on Arena - wondering if:

They have already removed the hardwood floor in the Vines Center, I'm assuming in preparation for the roof coming off.

Regarding #2, it's still a go as of now. Crews already began pulling out gear, and the bulk of the contractors are coming Monday morning to start the full rip-out of the infrastructure.
classof15goLU liked this
classof15goLU wrote: March 20th, 2020, 10:54 am

They have already removed the hardwood floor in the Vines Center, I'm assuming in preparation for the roof coming off.
Thanks for the update and welcome to the board!
classof15goLU liked this
What matters is the atmosphere and winning. I don't care how nice their arena is :lol:. Remember, a new arena for the men's team could be built in the near future if we keep building our program and prestige plus getting invited to a better conference(hoping it's AAC or A-10)
tyndal23 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 7:45 pm We getting out pimped by High Point ?
Have you ever been to High Point's campus? The place is a palace.

Did you notice that ours was listed as seating for 4,500? I was surprised that even Longwood is getting a new gym. :shock:
Cider Jim wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 10:49 pm

Did you notice that ours was listed as seating for 4,500? I was surprised that even Longwood is getting a new gym. :shock:
Actually I have been and it was nothing like it is today. probably the only school to do it better than LU past decade.
By rtb72

Have you noticed everything else around the campus? There's a reason there is a wall around the whole campus. High Point in general has endured major degradation over the years due to the furniture industry's demise over the years. The downtown area has nothing....an absolute ghost town most of the time, except during furniture market. Most buildings sit vacated except for those two weeks during the year. HPU is all the city has....literally. LU is in a growing area. Much of Lynchburg proper is still in the growing stages and the downtown is hopping. Not taking anything away from HPU itself....it is an amazing campus. Unfortunately, it's located inside of a trashcan.
ballcoach15 liked this
rtb72 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 11:17 pm

Have you noticed everything else around the campus? There's a reason there is a wall around the whole campus. High Point in general has endured major degradation over the years due to the furniture industry's demise over the years. The downtown area has nothing....an absolute ghost town most of the time, except during furniture market. Most buildings sit vacated except for those two weeks during the year. HPU is all the city has....literally. LU is in a growing area. Much of Lynchburg proper is still in the growing stages and the downtown is hopping. Not taking anything away from HPU itself....it is an amazing campus. Unfortunately, it's located inside of a trashcan.
Everything that made High Point / Winston Salem great is in China now. The HPI furniture market has canceled this year due to the China virus. For the past 6 years China advertising agencies have purchased HUGH billboards in the baggage claim area at PIT airport during the event proclaiming Hight Point International Furniture market is no longer the largest International furniture market, ads direct attendees to Guangzhou next market. And of course, PTI gladly takes their money and shoots it’s local economy in the foot. It’s ironic that academia pushed the offshoring concept and now High Point U is the only thriving thing in HP? :cry:
High Point's new arena is part of a complex that includes, among other things, a hotel and conference center, and yes, they are spending a boatload of money ($130 million) and it will be "pimped out". You can bet that right now there are people seriously worried about the fact that a large amount of that was spent to provide on the job training for their "Event Management and Hospitality" majors. :roll:

As far as a basketball venue is concerned, I don't think all the baubles will mean much to the fans or players/recruits. Hopefully our focus will be on things like comfort, accoustics, great sound, lighting and video boards, and fan friendly ammenities like top notch restrooms and concessions.
Purple Haize, rtb72 liked this
rtb72 wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 11:17 pm Have you noticed everything else around the campus? There's a reason there is a wall around the whole campus. High Point in general has endured major degradation over the years due to the furniture industry's demise over the years. The downtown area has nothing....an absolute ghost town most of the time, except during furniture market. Most buildings sit vacated except for those two weeks during the year. HPU is all the city has....literally. LU is in a growing area. Much of Lynchburg proper is still in the growing stages and the downtown is hopping. Not taking anything away from HPU itself....it is an amazing campus. Unfortunately, it's located inside of a trashcan.
High Point is in the midst of a transitional phase where they are attempting to lure businesses back to the downtown area. It has definitely struggled mightily for a couple decades now, but they're putting in the work to make it nice. There is a new ballpark that opened downtown and there are plans for several restaurants, shops and another brewery. There are several cool new spots that have opened on Main Street over the past 3-4 years.
TH Spangler wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 6:58 am Everything that made High Point / Winston Salem great is in China now. The HPI furniture market has canceled this year due to the China virus. For the past 6 years China advertising agencies have purchased HUGH billboards in the baggage claim area at PIT airport during the event proclaiming Hight Point International Furniture market is no longer the largest International furniture market, ads direct attendees to Guangzhou next market. And of course, PTI gladly takes their money and shoots it’s local economy in the foot. It’s ironic that academia pushed the offshoring concept and now High Point U is the only thriving thing in HP? :cry:
Winston-Salem is absolutely thriving right now. Downtown is the place to be. There are tons of good restaurants and, at last count, 8 breweries downtown. The Bailey Power Plant/Innovation Quarter area is awesome and continues to grow. Yes, tobacco jobs have largely left Winston-Salem, but the city is doing extremely well right now.
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 12:34 pm Winston is an entirely different city now than the one I grew up around.
100%. We never went downtown. The areas that are thriving now (Trade/Liberty) were on the no-go list for us as kids.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]