This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

ballcoach15 wrote:Our facilities right now are better than many FBS schools.
True but when you look at schools like ND, Bama, Oregon, Texas, etc...nope. If Jr and McCaw want to build an Oregon type of facility then rebuilding the FOC makes sense.
ballah09 wrote:
True but when you look at schools like ND, Bama, Oregon, Texas, etc...nope. If Jr and McCaw want to build an Oregon type of facility then rebuilding the FOC makes sense.
I would be okay if we found our identity in good, occasionally great seasons and flashy uniforms. I'm not a fan of the colors, but I don't mind the idea of hundreds of uniforms, and we can afford to do that. And.....sad as it may be, recruits care WAYYY to much about how things look and social media. Michigan with JumpMan and OSU with Meyer buying Twitter followers to break 1M.
That is true and amazing looking facilities is a big factor. That's why I believe the FOC will be rebuilt in 2-4 years. If you want more to be improved with academics and the people, then football will be the big option to help do so. That's where most of the money is and you have to flash (uniforms, facility, promotions) to get the cash (sounds weird but there's some truth in it).
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on May 28th, 2017, 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That is true and amazing looking facilities is a big factor. That's why I believe the FOC will rebuilt in 2-4 years. If you want more to be improved with academics and the people, then football will be the big option to so. That's where most of the money is and you have to flash (uniforms, facility, promotions) to get the cash (sounds weird but there's some truth in it).
I have no idea what you just said.
alabama24 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That is true and amazing looking facilities is a big factor. That's why I believe the FOC will rebuilt in 2-4 years. If you want more to be improved with academics and the people, then football will be the big option to so. That's where most of the money is and you have to flash (uniforms, facility, promotions) to get the cash (sounds weird but there's some truth in it).
I don't know that he realizes that Football will be a loss leader for us. It's the rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club. At best we are probably looking at breaking even financially with football.

Between staff, facilities, uniforms, scheduling and the like breaking even is sufficient for Liberty. We don't NEED football to make money. We NEED football to make Liberty a household name.

Liberty wants to be able to offer 175 recruits that for the mold every year. They want to have such a spike in applications, they can legitimately take the top 15% and boast about that. Once liberty is known, the volume of these things will make LU elite athletically and academically. It's a ways off, but football is just a marketing tool for the Flames. It always has been. They've been increasing residential enrollment every year for nearly a decade and have also been raising the threshold of who gets accepted. Every class is the smartest class accepted. Their plan is working.
alabama24 wrote:
I'm just concerned that apparently people will now be walking around campus flashing people :shock: Some things you can't unsee.

[youtube]DHGmw7wFe5g[/youtube]
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballah09 wrote:
I would be okay if we found our identity in good, occasionally great seasons and flashy uniforms. I'm not a fan of the colors, but I don't mind the idea of hundreds of uniforms, and we can afford to do that. And.....sad as it may be, recruits care WAYYY to much about how things look and social media. Michigan with JumpMan and OSU with Meyer buying Twitter followers to break 1M.
Wasn't talking about uniforms :D

Gill is more old school in terms of uniforms but I do know he wants all the bells in whistles. If we even want the slightest chance of having a Bama level recruit to look at us, we need to have the resources in place to attract them. Flashy uniforms and crazy facilities will do that. Just look up Oregon's performance center on youtube.
@20something

Football is needed because eventually the online programs (LU's major cash flow) will not be as dominant as it is now. Even Falwell admitted this from his own mouth in which he told the reporter that the school is putting away money and building up athletics. Falwell said those are the two big options that will keep the school going and on the right track. Also to note, he also mention that by saving and building LU sports, the net worth should reach about $3 billion in a few years. So yes, sports is still a big need even for Liberty (long term).
Hard for me to imagine a totally new stadium in the forseeable future. I would think there are enough options for expansion and upgrades on the Bill to end up with something really, REALLY nice with enough $$ and McCaw's experience in that area. The FOC is another matter. It was state of the art when built, was the best in FCS, and is still better than many G5 facilities (maybe most). It does not match up however, with the new facilities we are completing like the indoor practice facility and the APC, and I doubt if it will lend itself well to the level of upgrades needed. If the new building is going to be in the same location (which would seem to make sense) it means a lot of things will have temporary homes for a year or so.
oldflame wrote:Hard for me to imagine a totally new stadium in the forseeable future. I would think there are enough options for expansion and upgrades on the Bill to end up with something really, REALLY nice with enough $$ and McCaw's experience in that area. The FOC is another matter. It was state of the art when built, was the best in FCS, and is still better than many G5 facilities (maybe most). It does not match up however, with the new facilities we are completing like the indoor practice facility and the APC, and I doubt if it will lend itself well to the level of upgrades needed. If the new building is going to be in the same location (which would seem to make sense) it means a lot of things will have temporary homes for a year or so.
Maybe one season (if they start after the previous season). It is strange to see the Bill looking different but that's the future of LU. I know it will be difficult for a lot of you guys who've been around LU more than I have. I do know it will be a fantastic and welcoming facility/stadium. Nonetheless, if they moved the new building, where would be another good location on campus for it?
Since football is all that matters to the administration these days they can just build a new football stadium where the soccer stadium stands now. Then once completed the current football stadium can become the largest college soccer stadium in the country.

2 birds with one stone. Brand new, built from scratch football stadium and Jerry Jr can stroke his own ego knowing he has the biggest college soccer only stadium in the country!

**This post is tongue and cheek. To quote LU's true number one fan, It's how I roll.
Purple Haize wrote: My more direct point was that taking care of their employees has never been a high priority at Liberty. Several in the Upper Levels of Administration have even openly spoken derisively about what it is faculty actually does all day.... For years when it's come down between the People or a new shiny building the People finish 2nd.
Yep. But there are some exceptions. Like the VP who got upset not long ago when a Sr VP was hired over top of him. LU quickly appeased him and promoted him to a Sr VP position too.
But contrast that to the multiple stories I've heard regarding your run of the mill employee being told that there's a stack of applications and if they don't like it there's plenty of people waiting to take their place.

But at least LU takes care of the upper echelon, so that's something.
mtaylor22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: My more direct point was that taking care of their employees has never been a high priority at Liberty. Several in the Upper Levels of Administration have even openly spoken derisively about what it is faculty actually does all day.... For years when it's come down between the People or a new shiny building the People finish 2nd.
Yep. But there are some exceptions. Like the VP who got upset not long ago when a Sr VP was hired over top of him. LU quickly appeased him and promoted him to a Sr VP position too.
But contrast that to the multiple stories I've heard regarding your run of the mill employee being told that there's a stack of applications and if they don't like it there's plenty of people waiting to take their place.

But at least LU takes care of the upper echelon, so that's something.
'Cog in the wheel' O and A structure. Or for you music fans Pink Floyd management
My family took a weekend trip from PA to Lynchburg this past Memorial weekend. It was exciting to walk the campus and see all the amazing changes. I’ve kept fairly up to date on what is being done. However, I was surprised to see a building being built at the back end of the Old Circle. It was located just across the road from the new dorm being raised. I’ve searched the Master Plan and its states something named “Plant/Chiller.” What is this??
LUinPA wrote:My family took a weekend trip from PA to Lynchburg this past Memorial weekend. It was exciting to walk the campus and see all the amazing changes. I’ve kept fairly up to date on what is being done. However, I was surprised to see a building being built at the back end of the Old Circle. It was located just across the road from the new dorm being raised. I’ve searched the Master Plan and its states something named “Plant/Chiller.” What is this??
I'm not an expert at HVAC, but I have known a couple over the years. Unless I'm mistaken, we are talking about a massive water cooling unit which would be part of a centralized heating and cooling system for a portion of the campus. It should be far more effecient than individual building systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiller
Class of 20Something wrote:Somehow I missed the detail that the roof of the Freedom Tower is going to be glass.
Is that the official name of the large phallic symbol ? I heard Jr get all upset in an interview when someone called it a 'Bell Tower'. He said it was an Academic Building.
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Somehow I missed the detail that the roof of the Freedom Tower is going to be glass.
Is that the official name of the large phallic symbol ? I heard Jr get all upset in an interview when someone called it a 'Bell Tower'. He said it was an Academic Building.
I think Clinton Monument was tossed around. At least it was with Monica.
Purple Haize wrote:
It does sorta roll off the tongue doesn't it? :oops:
Purple Haize wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
GET A GRIP, PH!!!!
Purple Haize wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
GET A GRIP, PH!!!!

That's what she said! :shock:
Purple Haize wrote:
Tis a bit small for that #SizeMatters
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]