This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I heard a donor made the new tennis facility possible. The next athletic facility needed is a indoor practice facility for softball. I have been told plans are drawn up. But no dirt, concrete or asphalt has been moved yet.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 16th, 2019, 9:49 pm I heard a donor made the new tennis facility possible. The next athletic facility needed is a indoor practice facility for softball. I have been told plans are drawn up. But no dirt, concrete or asphalt has been moved yet.
You "heard," it because its been in every press release since it was made public :roll: :roll: :roll:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 18th, 2019, 2:06 am The new exit off 460 onto east campus is finally open...Makes getting in campus easier when traveling from west or south to LU.
Just in time for the NAVY game! Play Basketball
tyndal23 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:39 pm Any signs of construction on Engineering building ? Wondering if the Vines roof pushed that back or if there are going to be that many cranes at once in such close proximity.
Last I heard, from an engineering student, it is going next to Extended Stay hotel.
flamehunter wrote: January 30th, 2020, 9:31 am
tyndal23 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:39 pm Any signs of construction on Engineering building ? Wondering if the Vines roof pushed that back or if there are going to be that many cranes at once in such close proximity.
Last I heard, from an engineering student, it is going next to Extended Stay hotel.
Is that right? Interesting. I will add another rumor; it seems like students in the medical field have been hearing about the hospital planning that was mentioned years ago. Of course that may not come to fruition anytime soon, but I'm hearing this more from actual students and not random guys on the street. Take that with a grain of salt haha.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Is that right? Interesting. I will add another rumor; it seems like students in the medical field have been hearing about the hospital planning that was mentioned years ago. Of course that may not come to fruition anytime soon, but I'm hearing this more from actual students and not random guys on the street. Take that with a grain of salt haha.
It will be interesting to see how the COPN process works out for Liberty if they seek expansion.
rogers3 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 4:18 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 12:13 pm

It will be interesting to see how the COPN process works out for Liberty if they seek expansion.
I'd actually be surprised if they go the ground up route for once. I see them more trying to purchase Centra outright. They should have the capital, and it's the fastest way to turn LU into a research school and increase accreditation status.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if they would drop the 700-800 million a purchase would require. Jerry would try it because it is just so Jerry, but I don't think the Central board would have anything to do with an outright buyout. A partnership, maybe? Last thing I want is my wife to work for an organization that is fully owned by LU.
I am really surprised that Central hasn't fallen prey to Sentara, HCA , or Carilion (which was just identified as the largest employer in VA west of I95). Actually, UVa would be great as a parent of Centra.
Kolzilla41 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 9:50 pm Centra is hemorrhaging money. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sentara or someone else buy them. UVA won't touch them.
Jerry treats LU like a business and a business only changes for 4 things.

Creating a revenue stream.
Solving a problem(relieving pain).
Gaining a competitive advantage.
Taking cost out of the supply chain.

This is why I think it makes the most sense. If Liberty can "buy cheap", throw some resources at it, and stabilize it, it can become a revenue stream.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 8:22 pm I wonder if they would drop the 700-800 million a purchase would require. Jerry would try it because it is just so Jerry, but I don't think the Central board would have anything to do with an outright buyout. A partnership, maybe? Last thing I want is my wife to work for an organization that is fully owned by LU.
I am really surprised that Central hasn't fallen prey to Sentara, HCA , or Carilion (which was just identified as the largest employer in VA west of I95). Actually, UVa would be great as a parent of Centra.
UVA would be an awful partner That place is a house of horrors on a lot of levels.
Class of 20Something wrote: January 30th, 2020, 10:45 pm
Kolzilla41 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 9:50 pm Centra is hemorrhaging money. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sentara or someone else buy them. UVA won't touch them.

This is why I think it makes the most sense. If Liberty can "buy cheap", throw some resources at it, and stabilize it, it can become a revenue stream.
Or......

Liberty establish a separate hospital, build it and establish a high quality institute that will compete with Centra, which will make them have no choice but to step up their game :lol:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
On a more positive note, red brick is going up on the north side of the new Liberty Arena. :clapping
Last edited by Cider Jim on February 1st, 2020, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Or......

Liberty establish a separate hospital, build it and establish a high quality institute that will compete with Centra, which will make them have no choice but to step up their game :lol:
COPN... There won't be a competing facility in the region- and nothing that LU has done internally would indicate that quality is something that is valued. Hate to say it, but Liberty (as an organization) is quite a few rungs below Centra on the ladder of professionalism. Cruzan, how many years have you spent in the local workforce?
rogers3 wrote: January 31st, 2020, 10:51 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 30th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Or......

COPN... There won't be a competing facility in the region- and nothing that LU has done internally would indicate that quality is something that is valued. Hate to say it, but Liberty (as an organization) is quite a few rungs below Centra on the ladder of professionalism. Cruzan, how many years have you spent in the local workforce?
About 3 years locally, 10 years overall. I have a lot to learn though to be honest.
By tyndal23
Can LU joint venture with a Mayo Clinic or St Jude’s Children - LU pays for infrastructure / hospital research facilities but benefit from brand and expertise and research designation/accreditation? ( has that been done anywhere ? ) I do think locals would have a much better view of LU if it started saving lives in the community.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]