This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:playing until 2am does not mean a visitor at 2 am. I think you need to get your masters in english.
Or get more coffee :P
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
What is being built across the street from DeMoss, near the bell? Parking lot?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Expansion plans call for a new lawn behind Arthur S. DeMoss Learning Center and a new freestanding library to replace existing older buildings, as well as a host of other construction projects to beautify the campus and add parking facilities.
Cider, your wish has been granted.

The power of FlameFans!!!
If it weren't against The Liberty Way, I'd be dancing in the streets: it's a MIRACLE that many of us have wished and prayed about for many years. Anybody know a specific location?
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ATrain wrote:
Expansion plans call for a new lawn behind Arthur S. DeMoss Learning Center and a new freestanding library to replace existing older buildings, as well as a host of other construction projects to beautify the campus and add parking facilities.

If it weren't against The Liberty Way, I'd be dancing in the streets: it's a MIRACLE that many of us have wished and prayed about for many years. Anybody know a specific location?
It said something about replacing "older buildings" could it be one of the "wings" of Demoss like where the Fine Arts department is.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The oldest academic buildings on campus are the original 4 one-story buildings errected in the late 1970s--science building, teacher education, fine arts, and what's called (I think) SLAB.

Since we are building a new multi-story Health Sciences building, our old science building MIGHT be a good location for the new library.
Last edited by Cider Jim on December 8th, 2010, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The oldest academic buildings on campus are the original 4 one-story buildings errected in the late 1970s--science building, teacher education, fine arts, and what's called (I think) SLAB.
yeah, thats where I'm thinking
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
They just converted the old theater into a band room and offices so I dont think the Fine Arts hall is going anywhere
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ATrain wrote:

I thought the Liberty Way said you could dance, just not attend a dance???? I don't remember all the specifics from the rule book, but I remember hearing something like that. Anyone care to do what I'm too lazy to do and look it up?
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:I thought the Liberty Way said you could dance, just not attend a dance???? I don't remember all the specifics from the rule book, but I remember hearing something like that. Anyone care to do what I'm too lazy to do and look it up?
The only reference is this, as far as I see:

6 Reprimands + $25.00 Fine
• Possession and/or use of tobacco
• Direct disobedience/disrespect
• Gambling
• Attendance at a dance
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Cider, feel free to dance away in the streets.

Can we get that posted on youtube?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Rooster Cogburn wrote:I'm pretty sure that is what they are talking about getting rid of.
If you mean the fine arts hall then why did they just spend all the time and money converting the old Lloyd Auditorium into a practice/recording room for the bands (marching band, wind ensemble, jazz band)? Why would they have put in all that time and money if they were going to tear it all down anyway? Makes very little sense to me
By logic
JDUB wrote:kind of disappointed to not see the business school mentioned. they seem to always get overlooked. it makes me wonder if maybe they aren't asking for improvements? they need some improvements badly though.

the changes they are unrolling are going to be awesome though, I'm excited to see the way campus looks in 5 years.

Agree here 100%. My hope is that after a stand alone library and health sciences we'll build a dedicated business building and really go all out and make it nice. Business is obviously a popular field of study and I would love to see us add an entrepreneurship major.

1. Very nice new stand alone business school (with a sweet name like Wharton/Darden) = recruit better business students
2. Better students = better jobs upon graduation
3. Better jobs = pay back loans + donate back to school = $$$$$$
4. More $$$$$$$$ = cycle repeats and compounds the second time through

We could also help further our political goals - what better way to start changing the liberal's negative mindset toward capitalism + wealth creation than to have more people of faith and character on wall street and starting billion dollar companies? Why couldnt the next Facebook/Microsoft success story drop out of LU to head to the valley?
i cant imagine turning a theatre set up on old tables (the whole room was raised) into a clear floor would cost more than 10,000 dollars, especially considering most of the expensive stuff was probobly reused in the tower theatre.

any cost in changing around that building was negligible especially compared to the grand plans of tearing it down and replacing it with a better building with more space, a real green courtyard and a library. i think the shilling might be ripe for tearing down as well (replaced with expansion of layhaye and that new intramural complex)
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
Below is a post I made in another thread tonight. I thought it fit here as well. Also, BJ has a good point. I told the architects to try to save the new band room in Fine Arts. I think we can brick around it and keep it as a small building attached to DeMoss.

It always is a big help to read all of your thoughts on how we can make LU better. Constructive criticism and input from alumni and students who love LU is invaluable! Thank you! The free standing library idea was born in a recent faculty meeting question and answer session. I had a post on my facebook wall today from a faculty member who I now know is Cider Jim. I gather from this thread that he has been advocating for a free standing library for quite a while now. I think he is right. The architects tell us that modern university libraries also often have food venues and other amenities so the food vendors now in the Hangar will likely be part of the new library. I hate to see some of these older buildings go too because, when I was a student, there was no DeMoss Hall (not even the first floor) so all my LU academic experiences were in the buildings that will become "The Lawn" or whatever we decide to call it. But, I really think it is the right move for LU. We even have a LU alum in Pennsylvania whose company can transplant HUGE trees. We plan to bring in quite a few big trees for the lawn area. It should be beautiful. Thank all of you again for being such loyal fans of LU! You are greatly appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. Tonight, a local group held a reception at Snowflex and Gov. Bob McDonnell was there. I asked him to try out the slopes with me, half kidding. He agreed and it should be on WDBJ and WSET at 11 tonight. He is a great skier. He didn't want to quit. He kept asking his bodyguards if he could go one more time. Even after he took a pretty bad tumble, he went up again for another trip down the slope!
JLFJR wrote: Also, BJ has a good point. I told the architects to try to save the new band room in Fine Arts. I think we can brick around it and keep it as a small building attached to DeMoss.
If they are able to do this, you should name it after BJ.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Can the new lawn bring back the flags that were in the courtyard? Dwayne Carson was (and still is apparently) upset over the removal of those, and from old pictures in the hangar it looked like an awesome display.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The flags & the random large rocks were the dominant features of the Courtyard as we called it back in the Late '80s.

I still remember having classes in the grand spanking new 1st floor of DeMoss while the workers were finishing up around us as we had classes.

JLFJR - Didn't your mom design the fountain in front of the old theater? I had classes with her (and your brother & sister for that matter) and she clearly had a passion for art.

As for free-standing libraries, they are standard at most universities. Although the newer ones here in Texas tend to have more of a technology focus than the older ones with floors & floors of hardbacks & paperbacks. They also seem to serve as archives of collections (both art & historical artifacts) with a display area where the collections can be rotated for public display. That might be something worth considering moving forward as a location where travelling exhibits that have ties to Christianity might have an audience.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Might be a good spot for the chaplain artifacts. Or that really young fossil that the biology department has.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Chaplains Museum is actually similar in size (perhaps even a bit larger) to what a lot of these library artifacts collection exhibits I have seen have been. But count me among those who actually like the current setup for the Chaplains Museum. It is easy access from 460 and frankly a hidden gem for the community. With even the slightest marketing, the museum could draw some healthy numbers. Then again, that might require some adjustments by the museum. If you haven't taken the time to check out the museum next to Doc's yet, it is worth a few minutes of your time. It is a very well done exhibit.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]