This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Green space! Now that's what I'm talking about. What older structures can they get rid of? The only thing I can think of is circle dorms and I assume they still need those. I think that if everywhere on main campus that is currently a parking lot, we threw down some turf, that would drastically beautify campus. Of course that's a pipe dream of mine considering they are paving over whatever grass there was now anyway.
By flamesfan30
Registration Days Posts
other stuff in the champion article:

beautifying the DeMoss couryard = "traditional college green"
the champion also said the back of demoss and the demoss wing buildings are getting "a facelift"

the only building being demolished specifically mentioned in the champion is the hancock.

all of DeMoss will be filled by next year with the center for worship and ANY program that's cramped for space (the only one specifically mentioned was the science department)

a new intramural and NCAA field complex (three "regulation" [for what sport is not mentioned] size fields) across from the windgate hotel complete with 500 seat bleachers, lights, a new softball field, 4 new sand volleyball courts, and a support building with locker rooms bathrooms, storage and offices. a 2.5 mile flat, non-technical cross-country loop will also be built.

the amphitheater will be more like a pavilion, and built on the hill by davids place, just because its already the right shape and stuff, not because there is a real need for it; building for the sake of building while construction costs are rock bottom.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Our school is in good hands... It's exciting to see leadership moving on improving the University. These types of improvements create character and is way beyond our years. LU was started in 1971! I remember complaining that our campus was ugly and landlocked - those days are long gone. Don't forget a big piece to this puzzle - A new convention center. I just hope that the city can see this as a huge advantage and that they have a guaranteed tenant and move on this.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I hope this isn't breaking news, but there has also been talk of adding a small LAKE on campus. :clapping
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I hope this isn't breaking news, but there has also been talk of adding a small LAKE on campus. :clapping
Kind of true. Not a lake, but more like a river. It will run all around campus and students will be able enter in selected areas. Water will be moving by many pumps along the way and rafts will be provided to students that would want to take a different mode of transportation around campus. Will be called McKay's Lazy River. Going to pretty cool and goes along with the Green movement.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:Our school is in good hands... It's exciting to see leadership moving on improving the University. These types of improvements create character and is way beyond our years. LU was started in 1971! I remember complaining that our campus was ugly and landlocked - those days are long gone. Don't forget a big piece to this puzzle - A new convention center. I just hope that the city can see this as a huge advantage and that they have a guaranteed tenant and move on this.
Absolutely.

The admin. gets a big thumbs up here for doing what it can to "beautify" campus. It's needed it for years. We've come a long way.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Proto, that sounds more like a canal. The version I heard was a small lake to provide irrigation to the intramural fields, so that it would lower our water bill.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Proto, that sounds more like a canal. The version I heard was a small lake to provide irrigation to the intramural fields, so that it would lower our water bill.
Cider - it was a joke... Lazy River? Yours makes much better sense:)
By flamesfan30
Registration Days Posts
the champion article is now online:
http://www.libertychampion.com/2010/11/ ... novations/
Liberty University will undergo an extreme makeover during the next two years.

This week Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. announced capital improvement projects, including third and fourth floor DeMoss Hall renovations, a Health Sciences building, an intramural complex, a new visitor’s center, a recreational equestrian center, Campus North additions and an amphitheater.

“The look of the campus is going to change again over the next two years,” Falwell said, looking over design plans and maps. “The campus will change almost as much in the next two years as it has over the last eight.”
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Distance runners will benefit from a new two-and-a-half-mile cross-country loop.

“Whenever you run cross-country in college you don’t want roots, you don’t want rocks. A flat, non-technical surface is best. You also want a fairly flat, fast course and that’s what you will have here,” Director of Auxiliary Services Lee Beaumont said.
Thanks for the bone, but I think he is describing TRACK there instead of cross country.

That being said, hopefully this will allow the school to host major high school xc invitationals and an occasional Big South Conference meet.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well we hosted the BSC meet in (I think) 2007 and they laid out a pretty good course for both the men and the women but this certainly will help with getting HS meets.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
kind of disappointed to not see the business school mentioned. they seem to always get overlooked. it makes me wonder if maybe they aren't asking for improvements? they need some improvements badly though.

the changes they are unrolling are going to be awesome though, I'm excited to see the way campus looks in 5 years.
By ECUnited
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I've noticed they've been clearing out brush/trees like crazy on some land off of Sunnymeade. I wonder if that will be the equestrian center.
I heard that is going to be a new driving range, which will have two sets of tee boxes (facing each other, so all shots go to a central location), one for the general public and one for the LU golf team.

Don't know how accurate that is.... just what I heard :D
Ive also heard there will be a major expansion as far as adding dorms as well, pending city council stuff. they're adding 50 new RA spots this year (as in not just replacing graduating RA's but ADDING TO THEM) which, following the current OSL formula (2 RA's per 70 students, and I think its the same on east [1 per 35] as well) would equal an increase of about 1,750 new on campus students :shock:
Interesting FF. I havent asked or anything but thought enrollment was capped again...

Perhaps its ONLY a RA increase to get a better ratio? I dont know the answer, maybe it was only preparation for the future.
By Rooster Cogburn
Registration Days Posts
Liberty University on Tuesday sold $120 million worth of tax-exempt education facilities bonds, which will allow the Lynchburg-based college to usher in a new era of growth and development.

Chancellor Jerry Falwell, Jr. and a contingent of Liberty officials traveled to New York for the sale and pricing of the bonds at its initial public bond offering.

Liberty benefits from a recently acquired AA bond rating from Standard & Poor’s, placing it among the nation’s top 44 S&P-rated colleges and universities for financial strength
http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=18 ... N=74731201
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Expansion plans call for a new lawn behind Arthur S. DeMoss Learning Center and a new freestanding library to replace existing older buildings, as well as a host of other construction projects to beautify the campus and add parking facilities.
http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?P ... &MID=24567

Cider, your wish has been granted.

The power of FlameFans!!!
By flamesfan30
Registration Days Posts
also in the article:
Expansion plans call for a new lawn behind Arthur S. DeMoss Learning Center and a new freestanding library to replace existing older buildings, as well as a host of other construction projects to beautify the campus and add parking facilities.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of parking lots, what on earth is going on in front of Demoss? It's like a parking free for all. I went there a few nights ago and there is barely enough room to maneuver down the aisles. People just park wherever they want. They need to start towing folks for being so stupid (although I doubt a tow truck could get in there with everybody parked like that). I understand you want to hang out with your lady friend in the computer lab playing solitaire until 2am, but you can't be parking in the middle of the road. Not the greatest impression to leave on folks trying to get to the visitor's center.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Speaking of parking lots, what on earth is going on in front of Demoss? It's like a parking free for all. I went there a few nights ago and there is barely enough room to maneuver down the aisles. People just park wherever they want. They need to start towing folks for being so stupid (although I doubt a tow truck could get in there with everybody parked like that). I understand you want to hang out with your lady friend in the computer lab playing solitaire until 2am, but you can't be parking in the middle of the road. Not the greatest impression to leave on folks trying to get to the visitor's center.
Why would anyone be trying to go to the visitor's center at 2 AM???
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]