This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: October 15th, 2021, 2:48 am
tyndal23 wrote: October 14th, 2021, 11:55 pm
I agree 90%. UNC stadium looks gorgeous “empty” with photos of “empty seats” and Mack Brown uses it every week on Twitter - every chair is UNC chair back Blue. The other 10% means LU making the stadium appear as large as it can on TV and in person for recruits. We have the best looking 25k seat stadium in America,- with some optical illusions, we can make it look like 40k plus without committing the G5 sin of too much stadium for the product/fan base.
I was thinking about the chair back seats from a fan comfort perspective (sitting on bleachers definitely discourages me from going to games). You make a good point though, stadiums look way better and more professional with team colored seats.

I think you can have the best of both worlds. Adding an upper deck, keeping the berm and switching to chair backs could improve the fan experience a lot without adding much if any to the capacity of the stadium. 25,000-30,000 capacity will be plenty big for awhile but there are definitely some ways they can improve the stadium without doing anything too crazy.
. I agree with the seat vs bench concept - even student section - it would eliminate the empty corners. So in short, we could build great looking upper deck, keep seat count the same and use the tiered bowl ONLY for overflow for sellouts - keep it off limits all other games. ( sorry kids ).
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: October 14th, 2021, 11:15 pm Where's that school of engineering that was promised (and other schools)? SMH :nonono :lol:
That's a good question. Did they just cancel it altogether or is it just delayed due to covid?

Also I just saw this article. They are building some type of museum for senior while putting other buildings on hold?

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2021/10/08 ... or-christ/
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm
flameshaw wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:36 am Use my name when joining, I get points for referring new members. :) David Brown.
Flameshaw did club level sellout this year?

Reason I ask is I don't need 6 tickets but I think I have enough points to get them next year (top 100 member). If there's anyone without enough points I might be interested in splitting a membership.
I suspect there probably some people in that position. Not sure of anyone in particular, but can think of at least a couple of maybe's.
I was told verbally, and in print, that the Club seats were sold out this year.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:38 pm
TH Spangler wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm
flameshaw wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:36 am Use my name when joining, I get points for referring new members. :) David Brown.
Flameshaw did club level sellout this year?

Reason I ask is I don't need 6 tickets but I think I have enough points to get them next year (top 100 member). If there's anyone without enough points I might be interested in splitting a membership.
I suspect there probably some people in that position. Not sure of anyone in particular, but can think of at least a couple of maybe's.
I was told verbally, and in print, that the Club seats were sold out this year.
I'm #80 something on the list. I can't do 3k only needing 3 tickets. But I could split membership cost and the 6 tickets with someone without enough loyalty points. Let me know if you run into anyone.

Especially next season :)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My guess is there will be temporary bleachers aplenty for the VT game. This offseason should be more functional upgrades than experiential.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I don't know, but I know two things: 1) that area sometimes became a swamp. 2) There were things like pipes and manholes waiting to be installed when I walked past a couple weeks ago.
By tyndal23
Jerry Center needs to be put on hold and no more construction $ spent after current projects are complete, we are heading in to a recession that will make 08 crash seem like a picnic.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I would argue that the Engineering building should still be green-lighted as it has greatest potential for plus-side ROI. But I agree with the sentiment in general. Construction costs are now outrageous and the near-term financial forecasts do not look promising. Thankfully the bulk of our investment is already completed.
ballcoach15, badger74 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ODU's MfgET just partnered with the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR) in Danville.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/articl ... ch-degree/

Old Dominion University will launch Virginia’s first four-year degree in manufacturing engineering technology (MfgET) at its Norfolk campus and a satellite campus at The Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR) in Danville, the university announced Thursday.

“This partnership reinforces Old Dominion University’s commitment to workforce development and leadership in the maritime industry,” ODU President Brian O. Hemphill said in a statement. “Students across Virginia will be able to gain the necessary skills to fill essential defense jobs, aligning talent with opportunity.”
There's been some rumors that the 3500 acer Southern Virginia Industrial Mega Site might be land some major military contractors.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 29th, 2022, 3:50 pm ODU's MfgET just partnered with the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR) in Danville.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/articl ... ch-degree/

Old Dominion University will launch Virginia’s first four-year degree in manufacturing engineering technology (MfgET) at its Norfolk campus and a satellite campus at The Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR) in Danville, the university announced Thursday.

“This partnership reinforces Old Dominion University’s commitment to workforce development and leadership in the maritime industry,” ODU President Brian O. Hemphill said in a statement. “Students across Virginia will be able to gain the necessary skills to fill essential defense jobs, aligning talent with opportunity.”
There's been some rumors that the 3500 acer Southern Virginia Industrial Mega Site might be land some major military contractors.
Liberty is woefully behind in promoting and creating value for their engineering students. The school has very little social capital in the engineering community in Lynchburg and has done a crappy job at bringing in leaders who know how to build strong local partnerships. To bad that other schools are planting roots in LUs back yard.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
We have brought on a number of Liberty engineering students as interns at my workplace over the past several years and they have proven to be great engineers. A high percentage have come on full-time after graduating (some before).
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: April 29th, 2022, 2:50 pm I would argue that the Engineering building should still be green-lighted as it has greatest potential for plus-side ROI. But I agree with the sentiment in general. Construction costs are now outrageous and the near-term financial forecasts do not look promising. Thankfully the bulk of our investment is already completed.
OK I will approve engineering building to replace old ROT. Jerry Center must be donation $ only. Rest of our income goes in to gold bars for next 2 years.
By LUOrange
After they finish the new Rot and repurpose the old/current Rot, they need to stop building on the main campus. It's nice enough as it is now. They need to putt the Doc Falwell Center somewhere else. They've got plenty of land on Liberty/Candlers Mountain to put it on top of old TRBC and empty storefronts at Candlers Station, Fort Hill Village, and The Plaza.

My vote is old TRBC. Of course, I believe they're renting the sanctuary to another Church and the old LCA to the City for use as an alternative school. Some other smaller ministries are on site too. But I guess I'm an old sentimentalist, who would like them respect their own history and traditions. I think old TRBC should remain with LU and used in a purposeful manner. The Doc Falwell Center, Standing for Freedom folks, amd whatever's left of the Seminary & LBI would be great there. Just my opinion though.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Construction has started on the new indoor batting cages for softball, near left field . These will be the bottom floor of a 2 story building, with a team room on top floor.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:38 pm Construction has started on the new indoor batting cages for softball, near left field . These will be the bottom floor of a 2 story building, with a team room on top floor.
Nice, will that be open by the start of next season?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:38 pm Construction has started on the new indoor batting cages for softball, near left field . These will be the bottom floor of a 2 story building, with a team room on top floor.
After breakfast, Ballcoach took me on a "tour" of the facility. I'm not sure he will do it for others who are not members of the Old Men's Club, but if you ask nicely (and bring Burger King coupons), he might give you a tour, too. :oldhag
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: May 25th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Nice, will that be open by the start of next season?
I am 99.9 % sure it will be.
By tyndal23
Prevo to Trump on the Jerry Falwell Center plans....”needs more gold - How about a big gold dome - doesn’t Notre Dame have gold? Yes, that will be amazing - how about a touchdown Jerry - he would have liked that, I think he would have liked that, amazing man, simply the greatest - he confided in me a lot you know, ( did you know that? It’s true, true. We were instrumental with Reagan being elected, me more than Jerry, but Jerry did his part, amazing man, amazing family, I like Jr a lot, unfortunate what the vile press did to him, but that’s politics...more gold for sure, maybe I will donate a self portrait for the museum, maybe have a Trump wing - great man, amazing man, but definitely needs the golden dome...

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2022/06/23 ... xpansions/
Just John liked this
By rtb72
tyndal23 wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:47 pm Prevo to Trump on the Jerry Falwell Center plans....”needs more gold - How about a big gold dome - doesn’t Notre Dame have gold? Yes, that will be amazing - how about a touchdown Jerry - he would have liked that, I think he would have liked that, amazing man, simply the greatest - he confided in me a lot you know, ( did you know that? It’s true, true. We were instrumental with Reagan being elected, me more than Jerry, but Jerry did his part, amazing man, amazing family, I like Jr a lot, unfortunate what the vile press did to him, but that’s politics...more gold for sure, maybe I will donate a self portrait for the museum, maybe have a Trump wing - great man, amazing man, but definitely needs the golden dome...

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2022/06/23 ... xpansions/
Please tell me their putting "Sr." behind the name for that building!
Just John liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]