This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Two new changes to campus since Sly was here a couple of weeks ago:

(1) They are bricking the Freedom Tower, and a dozen large brass bells were delivered on a flat bed truck last week.
(2) They have raised the new pedestrian bridge over the weekend that goes across 460. They even stamped an LU into the concrete base of the bridge.

PS--the indoor practice facility for football now has TURF.
ballah09 wrote:Maybe this was posted earlier but does anyone know if Liberty plans to pursue AACSB accreditation once the new business school is built?
My professional opinion is that they'll never get that under the current Business School leadership. No one in the t upper levels of the program have received graduate degrees from AACSB schools and Jerry doesn't seem to be interested in forking over the money to hire those types. More likely, they'll stick with the lower level accreditation they already have and say that is good enough. I remember when I was interested in teaching there, the message was get any graduate degree, cheaper and faster is fine. Graduate degees from LU online and Walden won't pass muster with the AACSB
Cider Jim wrote:Two new changes to campus since Sly was here a couple of weeks ago:

(1) They are bricking the Freedom Tower, and a dozen large brass bells were delivered on a flat bed truck last week.
(2) They have raised the new pedestrian bridge over the weekend that goes across 460. They even stamped an LU into the concrete base of the bridge.

PS--the indoor practice facility for football now has TURF.
That's nice!! Can't wait to see when it's completed! They should add bleachers so fans can come watch during spring practice/summer camp. By this time next year(Lord willing), LU will be one step forward on their beautiful master plan! I'm a bit pumped 8)
rogers3 wrote:
ballah09 wrote:Maybe this was posted earlier but does anyone know if Liberty plans to pursue AACSB accreditation once the new business school is built?
My professional opinion is that they'll never get that under the current Business School leadership. No one in the t upper levels of the program have received graduate degrees from AACSB schools and Jerry doesn't seem to be interested in forking over the money to hire those types. More likely, they'll stick with the lower level accreditation they already have and say that is good enough. I remember when I was interested in teaching there, the message was get any graduate degree, cheaper and faster is fine. Graduate degees from LU online and Walden won't pass muster with the AACSB
Don't be hatin on Walden Study :D
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
That's a shame. It really makes no sense, they're investing money into STEM research but they can't invest money into the business school. Jr is a brilliant business man so hopefully he will revise this thinking because a lot of fortune 500 companies network with AACSB schools.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:
That's a shame. It really makes no sense, they're investing money into STEM research but they can't invest money into the business school. Jr is a brilliant business man so hopefully he will revise this thinking because a lot of fortune 500 companies network with AACSB schools.
I do agree and I've always wanted to be at LU, but we have never followed the beat of any other drummer, so things remain the same...actually less rigorous than when I was at school in the 80s. The exceptions are those programs that require oversight that is necessary to be able to qualify graduates, such as the Education program and Nursing. I'd put these up against any school in the state.
I found it comical when Iwas told that I must have a PHD to teach in the Business Dept because of SACS when SACS has no such requirement. MBA is considered terminal or a Master in your Business subject matter. VaTech has such an opening for a long term faculty contract.
rogers3 wrote:I found it comical when Iwas told that I must have a PHD to teach in the Business Dept because of SACS when SACS has no such requirement. MBA is considered terminal or a Master in your Business subject matter. VaTech has such an opening for a long term faculty contract.
So this has never been brought up?
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:I found it comical when Iwas told that I must have a PHD to teach in the Business Dept because of SACS when SACS has no such requirement. MBA is considered terminal or a Master in your Business subject matter. VaTech has such an opening for a long term faculty contract.
Technically the DBA is the terminal variant for the SOB. SACSCOC guidelines state it's one level above where you want to teach. So technically if you were looking to teach grad work then yes, you have to have a terminal (not MBA) degree. However if you were looking at the undergrad then maybe that's just the guidelines the department has in place.
rhezick wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Technically the DBA is the terminal variant for the SOB. SACSCOC guidelines state it's one level above where you want to teach. So technically if you were looking to teach grad work then yes, you have to have a terminal (not MBA) degree. However if you were looking at the undergrad then maybe that's just the guidelines the department has in place.
It's have to argue that, since a professional who goes intro the higher ed field with an MBA is considered to have a terminal degree. Obviously one can get a DBA or PhD, and those are terminal degrees for teaching at all levels. My argument is regarding undergrad teaching only, and I would consider an MBA with vast business experience over an LU DBA with little experience any day. That said, we just completed a national tenure track search for our business department. One finalist was DBA from PA, the other was MBA. There are great folks at LU, but I have little respect for the system as it is now. I also would question the hiring guideline at LU when they fill positions with their own product.
rogers3 wrote:
I think that is spot on. The avg starting salary for a biz prof that pass AACSB muster is around $115K. They pretty much all need to have a PhD from another AACSB school. Basically starting from ground zero.
Anyone know what is going to be established in the front of the indoor practice facility? Will the flattened the land a bit since they'll like tailgates and other events to happen there? Also, I've been told about a possible round-about by north campus (where the stop lights are located).
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: The avg starting salary for a biz prof that pass AACSB muster is around $115K. They pretty much all need to have a PhD from another AACSB school. Basically starting from ground zero.
Nothing but the crickets, now! Sometimes I wonder if some on here really do live in an LU bubble.
rogers3 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote: Also, I've been told about a possible round-about by north campus (where the stop lights are located).
Hey that will necessitate a first for LU... a real roundabout!
From the sketches, it includes a fountain in the middle too. Also, the parking spaces by the LaHay ice center would be grass/pathways leading to a parking garage. Then they might be a facility behind the ice center (although that may have been where the nanatorium and gymnasium was supposed to be located).
rogers3 wrote:
badger74 wrote: The avg starting salary for a biz prof that pass AACSB muster is around $115K. They pretty much all need to have a PhD from another AACSB school. Basically starting from ground zero.
Nothing but the crickets, now! Sometimes I wonder if some on here really do live in an LU bubble.
You know you don't actually wonder. You KNOW!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
You know you don't actually wonder. You KNOW!
:lol:
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
:lol:

btw anyone see that Trey is now in a senior leadership role? Maybe it's old news but it's new to me.
ballah09 wrote:Yup

http://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/index.cfm?PID=6911

VP of operations. From a frozen yogurt shop owner to holding a senior leadership position. I Guess he's preparing him to be the next president. :dontgetit
My wife works in a department under his sphere of influence. They aren't running her department into the ground. Morale is high. He isn't micromanaging. He might not have the right experience but he's doing a much better job than the leadership at LUO. The departments he's over are known by LU employees has the havens.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]