This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Anyone know who the main architect and/or construction company is doing most of the expansion on campus? Be interesting to see what they've done elsewhere
Purple Haize wrote:Anyone know who the main architect and/or construction company is doing most of the expansion on campus? Be interesting to see what they've done elsewhere
Vandelay Industries.
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Anyone know who the main architect and/or construction company is doing most of the expansion on campus? Be interesting to see what they've done elsewhere
Vandelay Industries.
Is Art or George the person in charge? Amazing what you can do with latex
LU basketball shared a photo on their Facebook page of the Vines Center framed by the new buildings around it. If I knew how to share it here I would. It underscores to me just how badly it needs to be updated. Maybe someone smarter than I can post it here.
I can't believe with all the intrepid posters here no one knows the company who are the chief designers of the new construction
Purple Haize wrote:I can't believe with all the intrepid posters here no one knows the company who are the chief designers of the new construction

Do you mean the master plan? Or specific facilities/buildings? VMDO Architects had a lot to do with the architecture and the landscaping, except for the new school of business that is in preparation.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I can't believe with all the intrepid posters here no one knows the company who are the chief designers of the new construction

Do you mean the master plan? Or specific facilities/buildings? VMDO Architects had a lot to do with the architecture and the landscaping, except for the new school of business that is in preparation.
That's helpful. Who was/is the main contractor laying the brick and mortar?
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

That's helpful. Who was/is the main contractor laying the brick and mortar?
MH Masonry
Purple Haize wrote:Thanks. But I don't think they are the big construction firm in charge.
VMDO are the architects for most buildings and the master plan.

CMA(essentially a Liberty run company, their HQ is about 300' from the executive suite at North Campus) is the "contractor" in charge of getting everything built. They run the safety courses and have a separate trailer for each job site.

As for literal brick and mortar, MH Masonry was the sub doing the work on the Student Center and indoor track when I was there with another sub.
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Thanks. But I don't think they are the big construction firm in charge.
VMDO are the architects for most buildings and the master plan.

CMA(essentially a Liberty run company, their HQ is about 300' from the executive suite at North Campus) is the "contractor" in charge of getting everything built. They run the safety courses and have a separate trailer for each job site.

As for literal brick and mortar, MH Masonry was the sub doing the work on the Student Center and indoor track when I was there with another sub.
Thank you
So I've visited LU twice so far and I'm still amazed. It is so different once one has actually stepped foot on campus lol. Although I'm not sure what's going on on the first floor of Demoss (main hallway). I know we talked a little about it before, but I thought it was interesting. Also, 20Something has basically detailed the parties involved in the construction(all that I know from looking up). Purple, basically you can look into those parties' website or go in to archives in which could probably help out with what you're looking for. I'm debating to go back tomorrow and actually talk to a construction worker if they're on a break.

On a side note, are the only things that will be in construction during the spring 2018 semester are the School of Business, Commons IV, expansion of the Bill/college walk and the vehicular bridge vicinity? Maybe the landscape for the Honors College as well?
I drove through campus on Saturday morning giving my niece a tour, and the BR Lakin School of Religion/Elmer Towns Religion Hall is GONE. Nothing left but the parking lot.
Here's the article that I was talking about the new arena awhile back:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia/li ... b4400.html

Here's the quote that is very important on the topic about the arena:

"The arena, which would have less than half the seating space in the Vines Center, could be built within the next five years," [Falwell] said.

This was written around 2014. Is it possible that we may hear something about a plan for this arena? Will it actually come into existence by 2019? Will this promote and progress a new era in LU basketball? Finally, does this idea seem more like a reality since McCaw is the AD?
In the back of my mind I think the powers that be are still clinging to the Civic Center option. Not 100% sure where you'd build it. The best thought for a new arena IMO is where the Indoor Practice Facility is now. But since that spot is taken no telling
Neo wrote:Most recent rumor on the new arena:

It will be put between the Vines and Demoss. This will allow it to be treated as an overflow facility for large events and/or Convo.
Interesting.
I was sort of envisioning it over by the Track and Aquatic center in order to keep it company. Plenty of room for Parking and expansion
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.
I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.
I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.
That's smart and common sense should have dictated that happen (with both signs visible from 460) when they first put them up
Oh, right in front of the new indoor Football Practice Facility, they have a new red brick wall with "Liberty University" signage that looks as classy as it can be. And just in time for New Student Orientation today!
Last edited by Cider Jim on July 17th, 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]