This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I think an outer high concrete covered with brick wall like the stadium, and a new dome that starts quite a bit higher ( on top of the brick wall ) would be cool - basically a shell over current functioning dome. Copper would look incredible or white ( with bird poop ) would tie in well.
Old Red wrote:I agree with you Cider. I worked as a land surveyor for about 4 years before becoming a student at LU. I know that doesn’t make me an expert, but the plans sure look convincing.
I think they’re gonna need to move quite a bit of dirt, & reroute the road some to make this construction work. Guess they’re just trying to concentrate the academic buildings as much as possible.
I can’t get the link to work so I can’t see the plans, but if you’re talking about the road from DeMoss to Vines (old University Blvd) the plan was never for that to reopen. That’s the reason for the new University Blvd that is beside 460.

I believe they may open the old section during commencement weekend for golf cart traffic only but not sure.
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
From Dan Deter for the almost always I’ll-informed rogers3: Sorry-was outside working on my truck. The new ramp and round-a-bout and the Liberty Mountain Drive connection to Oddfellows are being run by Campbell County and City of Lynchburg respectively.
JLFJR wrote:From Dan Deter for the almost always I’ll-informed rogers3: Sorry-was outside working on my truck. The new ramp and round-a-bout and the Liberty Mountain Drive connection to Oddfellows are being run by Campbell County and City of Lynchburg respectively.
No wonder it’s taking for ever to get done!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:From Dan Deter for the almost always I’ll-informed rogers3: Sorry-was outside working on my truck. The new ramp and round-a-bout and the Liberty Mountain Drive connection to Oddfellows are being run by Campbell County and City of Lynchburg respectively.
Always great to get such personal responses from the top brass...and I blew it on the connector road, so I partially deserve it. The traffic circle is another story. Though it is in the city limits, Campbell County is more or less a conduit for the project, with LU funding half and VDOT the other. LU took sole responsibility for the design done by H&P. This article seemed to paint Liberty as the main mover on this project as did the discussion at the CC BOS in June 2017.
https://wset.com/news/local/lu-to-build ... rance-ramp
I was reading some post about tailgating and something came to mind. Wouldn’t it be nice if the parking spaces behind Doc’s would be a great place for a big parking garage and lots of grass which could become a small park for students that have animals? Also, a small academic building would be pretty cool( maybe the school of computer science or something else). I was on the University of Nevada’s (at Reno) this weekend and the landscaping was beautiful. I’m thinking it would make the place more welcoming and a home far away from home for most of the students.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I was reading some post about tailgating and something came to mind. Wouldn’t it be nice if the parking spaces behind Doc’s would be a great place for a big parking garage and lots of grass which could become a small park for students that have animals? Also, a small academic building would be pretty cool( maybe the school of computer science or something else). I was on the University of Nevada’s (at Reno) this weekend and the landscaping was beautiful. I’m thinking it would make the place more welcoming and a home far away from home for most of the students.
I think in general as the demand for both parking and space grows we are going to need to build more parking garages and use the space currently devoted to big parking areas like the one at docs for other things.
Current Baseball parking lot would be an ideal place for a parking structure ( alongside an 300 student athletic dorm ) would look better than a paved lot and come in handy on Football Saturdays.
tyndal23 wrote:Current Baseball parking lot would be an ideal place for a parking structure ( alongside an 300 student athletic dorm ) would look better than a paved lot and come in handy on Football Saturdays.
What do you mean by that? That would basically be across at Green Hall (North Campus) wouldn’t it?
tyndal23 wrote:I don’t know what they call it - south side of stadium right in front of entrance is what I am referring to though...
I know what you’re talking about now. It could be a nice small car garage in the future.
JLFJR wrote:Nope, rogers3, governmental entities are overseeing the construction of both projects even though LU is paying half the cost. We would’ve had it all finished months ago!
That’s why I’m surprised that we don’t have trading/ vocational schools connected with LU. I sure hope one day we can get a school of Agriculture and maybe even Architecture if they interest grows Study .
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That’s why I’m surprised that we don’t have trading/ vocational schools connected with LU
Actually, LU partners with VTI in Altavista to offer the following associate degrees:

Technical Studies (A.A.S.) - Residential
Carpentry
Electrical
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Plumbing
Welding

https://www.liberty.edu/academics/casas ... ?PID=23909
Cider Jim wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:That’s why I’m surprised that we don’t have trading/ vocational schools connected with LU
Actually, LU partners with VTI in Altavista to offer the following associate degrees:

Technical Studies (A.A.S.) - Residential
Carpentry
Electrical
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Plumbing
Welding

https://www.liberty.edu/academics/casas ... ?PID=23909
That’s good to know!
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
JLFJR wrote:Nope, rogers3, governmental entities are overseeing the construction of both projects even though LU is paying half the cost. We would’ve had it all finished months ago!
That’s why I’m surprised that we don’t have trading/ vocational schools connected with LU. I sure hope one day we can get a school of Agriculture and maybe even Architecture if they interest grows Study .
If architecture was an option when I started I would have majored in that for sure. I started during the first year or two of the school of engineering and they only offered electrical and computer engineering then.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:LU is known to build things fast. I'll give them that. Quality could often be questioned but quickness can not!
The top two floors of DeMoss are still standing :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATrain wrote:
thepostman wrote:LU is known to build things fast. I'll give them that. Quality could often be questioned but quickness can not!
The top two floors of DeMoss are still standing :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thankfully work was done on them
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have wondered for years why we haven't either bought out LeTourneau and turned it into our Pretroleum Engineering wing or simply pilfered their faculty. They have a phenomenal reputation for such a small school with similar worldview to us.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Our new engineering dean has a 44-page resume' (CV), and the students love his vision for the future.

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]