This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I noticed today that all the paint has been removed from the steps outside of DeMoss Hall. Also, construction is continuing on the new School of Business building, and a gabled metal roof is being installed to some to the dorms on the hill.
Cider Jim wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 9:13 pm I noticed today that all the paint has been removed from the steps outside of DeMoss Hall. Also, construction is continuing on the new School of Business building, and a gabled metal roof is being installed to some to the dorms on the hill.
Is that the last of the dorms to have roofs added or are there still some remaining ? construction cams don’t show all of them. Does anyone know if they actually added a story on the 3 story dorms ( like they announced ) or just decided to put faux roofs on all of them ?
I'm not positive, but I think this will finish up the gabled roof additions to the hill dorms; and I don't think any additional stories have been added to any of the hill dorms.
Thx Cider - didn’t think they added a level - way too much construction to be done and pretty complex adding plumbing/structural on a top level to be done that quick. I never thought that made sense financially just to add the small number of rooms it would create. It definitely looks much more aesthetically pleasing with what they have done, not too many “old” structures left once they reroof Vines and maybe renovate or replace south campus dorms.
I was on campus for a few minutes yesterday & noticed that they are digging out the hillside between dorm 23 & the Demoss parking lot. Looks like they’ve started a retaining wall too.
Anybody know what’s going there?
Old Red wrote: July 14th, 2019, 5:32 pm I was on campus for a few minutes yesterday & noticed that they are digging out the hillside between dorm 23 & the Demoss parking lot. Looks like they’ve started a retaining wall too.
Anybody know what’s going there?

Parking for both sides of that road.
Some work going on in the Vines Center. Thr Hall of Fame and All American walls have been removed and two large holes cut in the exterior walls at gates 4 and 5. I’m guessing they are installing steel roll up doors similar to the one already in use at gate 3.

Ballcoach, that's where the Syracuse fans hope to tailgate. :tailgate
I know that’s a popular tailgating spot, but I honestly think it’s great that they’ll put the building there. It’ll be another good looking structure right at our front door. Stuff like that helps make the first impression a good one.
I bet the days are numbered for the Extended Stay as well.
BlueBlood wrote: July 29th, 2019, 10:37 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 28th, 2019, 6:47 pm I heard this morning that the Engineering school will now be built in field across from hockey arena.
Wow. That is quite the departure from the original site. Seems like an odd location for an academic building.
Agreed. But when you consider the historical accuracy of his #sources you won’t put a lot of stock into it
The dot is the location the permits were requested for. Ignore the “Liberty Christian Academy” rags on the map, but you can see DeMoss and the old religion hall. The new engineering school is still planned to be in this area, more specifically where the words University Blvd are just below the purple dot.

Any chance they would just try to build the new engineering school in what is currently the Demoss parking lot, & then just join the two buildings with an atrium where the current front entrance of Demoss is? It could put a more attractive building facing 460, and still allow University Blvd to keep it's current path.
I still like the idea of building it across from the ice center in the empty lot. It'll be interesting to see where they finally break ground.
Old Red wrote: July 30th, 2019, 8:48 am Any chance they would just try to build the new engineering school in what is currently the Demoss parking lot, & then just join the two buildings with an atrium where the current front entrance of Demoss is? It could put a more attractive building facing 460, and still allow University Blvd to keep it's current path.
I still like the idea of building it across from the ice center in the empty lot. It'll be interesting to see where they finally break ground.
No, it won’t in the DeMoss Lot, but just off the SE corner of it. That section of University Blvd is already closed for construction for the Liberty Arena and won’t be reopened. That was a large reason for the new University Blvd immediately adjacent to 460.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]