This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Jonathan Carone wrote: February 1st, 2020, 1:36 am Why would those known brands be willing to give their name to us?
I would think anything research that comes out, they're getting the headlines. Even if LU is financing 75/25 and brought in Mayo for organizational leadership and continuity with their other facilities; if anything worth of a press release happens, the national media would have Mayo in the headline, LU would get pushed to the body of the content.

I do think there are specialties that LU could focus on. I could see having an undergrad of Global Public Health leading into LUCOM. Have research for amputee limbs. There are a few specialties that I could see that would fit the kind of people that LU attracts as a whole.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: February 1st, 2020, 8:09 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 1st, 2020, 1:36 am Why would those known brands be willing to give their name to us?
I would think anything research that comes out, they're getting the headlines. Even if LU is financing 75/25 and brought in Mayo for organizational leadership and continuity with their other facilities; if anything worth of a press release happens, the national media would have Mayo in the headline, LU would get pushed to the body of the content.

I do think there are specialties that LU could focus on. I could see having an undergrad of Global Public Health leading into LUCOM. Have research for amputee limbs. There are a few specialties that I could see that would fit the kind of people that LU attracts as a whole.
Global Public Heath or something similar would be a home run. Talk about going out to the World etc. Think of all the missionary Doctors and free clinics around the World. That could be an amazing path for LU to blaze. Teaming with Mayo or Cleveland isn’t what you think it is. They are health systems like UVA or Centra.
By tyndal23
Joint Venture doesn’t equal “lend”. If MD Anderson CAncer wanted an east coast location ( example ) and LU paid built the buildings,equipment - MD management with LU interns and research programs under MD grants and guidance type structure. And whatever LU needed for their purposes ( research accreditation ). I know there are state college hospital / medical centers but managed by HCA etc.
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 1st, 2020, 11:30 am Why would MD Anderson or Mayo or whoever want an East Coast location in a town in the middle of nowhere that's hard to get to? Why wouldn't they pick a Charlotte or Atlanta or DC or, well, some place that had direct flights and an interstate?
Because LU will be a P5 Equivalent Independent with games scheduled in Jerry World
By tyndal23
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 1st, 2020, 11:30 am Why would MD Anderson or Mayo or whoever want an East Coast location in a town in the middle of nowhere that's hard to get to? Why wouldn't they pick a Charlotte or Atlanta or DC or, well, some place that had direct flights and an interstate?
No clue - jussi asking - makes more sense than starting one from scratch if u don’t have to.
tyndal23 wrote: February 1st, 2020, 7:16 pm
No clue - jussi asking - makes more sense than starting one from scratch if u don’t have to.
Rogers is literally explaining why scratch doesn’t make sense.
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
Class of 20Something wrote: February 1st, 2020, 7:41 pm
Hence my questions - don’t we have business partnerships in aviation and engineering ? Is that not something we could do in medical research and or care facility?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: February 1st, 2020, 7:41 pm

Hence my questions - don’t we have business partnerships in aviation and engineering ? Is that not something we could do in medical research and or care facility?
You assume LU would be involved in Medical Research. They have never been inclined to embark in research at any level in any disciple.
CVFP Centra or Lewis Gayle would be about the only Partnerships for DO’s or Hospitals that could be expected
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I haven't seen it posted on message board, but I was told tonight that LU has purchased the Toys r Us building. It will be renovated and wrestling team will occupy it, along with Club Sports.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 1st, 2020, 10:39 pm They have never been inclined to embark in research at any level in any disciple.
Purple, with all due respect, you're living in the 1990s. LU has hosted Research Week for a number of years, created a well funded Center for Research and Scholarship, and frequently funds its faculty and students to present at regional, national, and even international conferences.

Last year, LU took an entire tour bus of students to Atlanta for the national Council of Undergraduate Research (CUR), and in the past year or so, LU has had 3 Fulbright scholars who are doing research overseas in Spain, Brazil, and Jordan.

https://www.liberty.edu/center-for-rese ... holarship/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: February 1st, 2020, 11:51 pm
Purple Haize wrote: February 1st, 2020, 10:39 pm They have never been inclined to embark in research at any level in any disciple.
Purple, with all due respect, you're living in the 1990s. LU has hosted Research Week for a number of years, created a well funded Center for Research and Scholarship, and frequently funds its faculty and students to present at regional, national, and even international conferences.

Last year, LU took an entire tour bus of students to Atlanta for the national Council of Undergraduate Research (CUR), and in the past year or so, LU has had 3 Fulbright scholars who are doing research overseas in Spain, Brazil, and Jordan.

https://www.liberty.edu/center-for-rese ... holarship/
I was talking on the Professorial level. LU is not and it’s been stated numerous times never will be a Research Institution
This is why mention academia a lot. I hope we continue funding research in many fields and receive as much accreditation as possible (hopefully R2 in Carnegie Higher Learning Classification). Of course I hope each field retain a Biblical ideology when doing such research. More Academic buildings anyone? Lol
chris leedlelee liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 12:30 am This is why mention academia a lot. I hope we continue funding research in many fields and receive as much accreditation as possible (hopefully R2 in Carnegie Higher Learning Classification). Of course I hope each field retain a Biblical ideology when doing such research. More Academic buildings anyone? Lol
This is why we'll never be a research university, as PH mentioned.

Research in the science and medical field would include accepting the theory of evolution.
ballah09 wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 12:33 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 12:30 am This is why mention academia a lot. I hope we continue funding research in many fields and receive as much accreditation as possible (hopefully R2 in Carnegie Higher Learning Classification). Of course I hope each field retain a Biblical ideology when doing such research. More Academic buildings anyone? Lol
This is why we'll never be a research university, as PH mentioned.

Research in the science and medical field would include accepting the theory of evolution.
I see what you're pointing at, but that's not actual science though. Science involves working with Laws and theories that hopefully point to the Laws of science. Evolution is to discredit that which we can see resulted in social darwinism, eugenics and continuing ancient teachings of paganism(Crowleyism of Magick and other occultic teachings). They will not actually admit it but it is what it is.
ballah09 wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 12:33 pm Research in the science and medical field would include accepting the theory of evolution.
As someone who has a degree in Biomedical Sciences, I would wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Much science can also be studied without using evolution as a presupposition. Basically the entire field of Biology, apart from Evolutionary Biology, can be conducted exactly how any other scientist would conduct a research study.

Also, macroevolution is a bunch of hogwash. Darwinism would never have originated today with our current understanding of Biochemistry.
Ill flame liked this
I hope all the action on message board doesn't burn up the Sea of Red server.

We have signing day 2 days away.
Basketball in stretch run.
Softball season opens in 4 days.
Baseball season opens next week.

Board looks like it's the 3rd week of June. not 1st week of February. :dontgetit
chris leedlelee liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 8:09 pm I hope all the action on message board doesn't burn up the Sea of Red server.

Board looks like it's the 3rd week of June. not 1st week of February. :dontgetit
Football-Signing day has one signee and we know who it is.

Basketball-The season is a formality and the tournament is the only thing that matters.

Softball-Most only care that the program succeeds. Not about the ins and outs.

Baseball just released the roster, finally. But it's February and no one wants to watch meaningful baseball in February.
Purple Haize, PAmedic, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By Ill flame
Class of 20Something wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 8:23 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 8:09 pm I hope all the action on message board doesn't burn up the Sea of Red server.

Basketball-The season is a formality and the tournament is the only thing that matters.
It's really hard to get excited about dominating a terrible conference like we mostly have been. There is no exciting wins available, only disappointing losses. If we were in the AAC (or any other solid conference) where we could lose a few games and it wouldn't be bad enough to lose an at large bid, it would be more interesting.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts

According to web traffic data, we are seeing a slight bump compared to last year at this time but not much. It has been a steep decline since football ended. Nature of the beast. You often bring this up but I'm not actually sure why. I'm a huge believer that you shouldn't just bring up issues and not have ideas to fix those issues. As a veteran, I'd imagine you can appreciate that.
ballcoach15 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 9:17 pm It's a simple fix to the problem, ASOR members need to get more involved. Too many one trick ponies.
I hated leaders with that attitude.

If you read/can read, go read Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink.

It's mind-boggling to me that with a career in the military you never learned that the answer to any lack of result relies on a few things.

Setting the mission.
Planning the mission.
Executing the mission.

But these are all predicated on any mission being reasonably achievable of the unit tasked. You can't task a boy scout troop with taking over an ISIS compound.

Additionally, you lack a basic understanding of the law of diminishing returns. I have no doubts that you are a walking textbook definition of what the sunk cost fallacy looks like.

80% of any result takes 20% of the time. And likewise, the remaining 20% of the result takes 80% of the time. Most of the time, the last 5-10% isn't worth the time, energy, money, or conflict.
PAmedic, thepostman liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 1st, 2020, 11:40 pm I haven't seen it posted on message board, but I was told tonight that LU has purchased the Toys r Us building. It will be renovated and wrestling team will occupy it, along with Club Sports.
I don't think the first part of this is news. I think they have owned it for a long time. In any case, LU has had workers inside for many many months.

The second part is news.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Maybe the biggest LU news on Monday, Feb. 3, was that quizbowler Natalie Hathcote was in LA competing on College Jeopardy with the top 15 students in the country! Study

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]