This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Kolzilla41 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:If this is true, then it will make sense. A one story cafeteria inside of a residential building seems kind of small. This will be for the next few decades and I'm sure the on campus population will increase over 20k. There's no way a one story cafeteria will fit all those kids, even with the other feeding options available. I just hope that the cafeteria will be way better than VT and JMU's cafeteria.

It is
Thanks Zilla. Do you know anything else on that subject like location, design ideas, etc?
ballcoach15 wrote: Now if we can get a Burger King on campus.
:shock: :clapping Ballcoach knows a good burger!
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote: Now if we can get a Burger King on campus.
:shock: :clapping Ballcoach knows a good burger!
Welcome to Good Burger! Home of the Good Burger! Can I take your order?

If anyone in Lynchburg hasn't tried Bootleggers yet, you are missing out. Also Ice Cream Dream is pretty tasty too!
Yes, I believe that is dorm 7. Also, ballcoach, I went to Burger King on Timberlake today, but had the chicken & bacon sandwich.
Religion Hall is next to be demolished. AC units were removed last week. The excavator, dump truck, and several dump containers are now staged in the area.

Also, the ceiling of a large part of DeMoss on the first floor has been ripped out. I have seen a new type of light fixture in the building, but I'm sure there is more going on. There are also now a pile of aluminum studs where the glass memorial case was across from the elevators . I tried to attach a picture but couldn't figure out how to on my phone.
LUAlum1215 wrote:Religion Hall is next to be demolished. AC units were removed last week. The excavator, dump truck, and several dump containers are now staged in the area.

Also, the ceiling of a large part of DeMoss on the first floor has been ripped out. I have seen a new type of light fixture in the building, but I'm sure there is more going on. There are also now a pile of aluminum studs where the glass memorial case was across from the elevators . I tried to attach a picture but couldn't figure out how to on my phone.
I mean..... Study

I know it's going in Trump Tower.....err Freedom Tower
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you are looking for something to make you smile, go back and look at the first few pages of this thread from 6.5 years ago. Ideas that seemed like crazy talk back then have been taken to another level in reality. Good times.
Sly Fox wrote:If you are looking for something to make you smile, go back and look at the first few pages of this thread from 6.5 years ago. Ideas that seemed like crazy talk back then have been taken to another level in reality. Good times.
It is humorous how limited our foresight was. And amazing how far the school has come.

Also got me to wondering where 4everFSU (the OP) has gone. Anyone know?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
What is your favorite part of the expansion so far ? What do you not like about the expansion over the last several years ?

Favorite : The Lawn / court yard . The old court yard was my favorite place to sit and hang out in between classes. Every college campus should have an open lawn for students to use.

Least Favorite : Besides the Nostalgia from my college days being taken away, I am not a huge fan of the Vines Center. The added box area is super lame, and the exterior does not fit in at all.
R i wrote:What is your favorite part of the expansion so far ? What do you not like about the expansion over the last several years ?

Favorite : The Lawn / court yard . The old court yard was my favorite place to sit and hang out in between classes. Every college campus should have an open lawn for students to use.

Least Favorite : Besides the Nostalgia from my college days being taken away, I am not a huge fan of the Vines Center. The added box area is super lame, and the exterior does not fit in at all.
I agree with you on both. I drive by every day and think, "the Vines has got to go". It's beyond sticking out like a sore thumb.
R i wrote:What is your favorite part of the expansion so far ? What do you not like about the expansion over the last several years ?
Good question. I do love the main lawn, but my favorite still has to be the Library.

Least favorite, hard to say. East campus construction has been kind of haphazard, particularly the south end.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Favorite: The Cook Tennis Center

Least Favorite: The bookstore - the building itself is nice, but it just feels like a building totally surrounded by a parking lot.
There is a lot more to like than not like. Not sure you can diss the Vines center since they really haven't done anything. Although the 'Luxury Box' is sort of a joke. Not a fan of The Tower. Yes. I called it The Tower. I may switch to Vertical Educational Facility. But there is so much hubris around it and isn't all that practical despite the desperate desire to make it so
The Indoor Track and the Aquatic center are sweet and if I had to give a 'Best of...' vote that's where it would go
Purple Haize wrote: if I had to give a 'Best of...' vote that's where it would go
Have you seen my office? :shock: Study
I think the reason Vines is so frustrating is because I grew up in Charlottesville. I've been to U Hall numerous times and Graduated HS in JPJ it's second year open. Now some may not know, but JPJ was designed by, none other than, VMDO. The Vines is a monument of frustration knowing what kind of world class facility the architecture group can fathom.

I can't pin down a single favorite thing for one simple reason. My inner 5 year old is obsessed with watching construction. I will truly be sad when they've reached the "hospital" and there is nothing left to build on the main campus. Liberty's vision coupled with their unique ability to throw money and people at a project is akin to watching a game of SimCity.

If I had to pin down a single feature, it would be a design feature rather than a building. It isn't complete yet, however. The Campus walk is the feature that will truly transform how students traverse the school. Being able to get from Green(it will always be North to me) to the dorms without crossing a single street is a fantastic design feature and is underrated at the least.
When the Vines Center was built, it was larger than both University Hall at UVa and Cassell Coliseum at VA Tech.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:When the Vines Center was built, it was larger than both University Hall at UVa and Cassell Coliseum at VA Tech.
Large does not equate to aesthetically pleasing. Also, Cassel Coliseum really isn't aesthetically pleasing either.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]