This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Unrelated to that, they're clearing out a road across from Wingate in the trees where the beginning of a trail was. I assume they're preparing for construction at the bottom of the mountains? I think they were going to build some buildings over there. I feel sorry for anybody who would be located near that water tower thing. I think it's sewage related. It smells pretty fierce fairly often.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Unrelated to that, they're clearing out a road across from Wingate in the trees where the beginning of a trail was. I assume they're preparing for construction at the bottom of the mountains? I think they were going to build some buildings over there. I feel sorry for anybody who would be located near that water tower thing. I think it's sewage related. It smells pretty fierce fairly often.
Intramural fields, if I remember correctly.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
...plus the plans to move the administrative offices of the Athletics Department to the Mezzanine level of the Williams Stadium tower.
so, if athletics offices are moving to Williams Stadium instead of David's Place, and assuming Worship department is still moving to DeMoss, what happens to David's Place?
LUminary wrote:
...plus the plans to move the administrative offices of the Athletics Department to the Mezzanine level of the Williams Stadium tower.
so, if athletics offices are moving to Williams Stadium instead of David's Place, and assuming Worship department is still moving to DeMoss, what happens to David's Place?
It was getting old anyways....
flamerbob wrote:
LUconn wrote:Unrelated to that, they're clearing out a road across from Wingate in the trees where the beginning of a trail was. I assume they're preparing for construction at the bottom of the mountains? I think they were going to build some buildings over there. I feel sorry for anybody who would be located near that water tower thing. I think it's sewage related. It smells pretty fierce fairly often.
Intramural fields, if I remember correctly.

This:
flamesfan30 wrote:other stuff in the champion article:

a new intramural and NCAA field complex (three "regulation" [for what sport is not mentioned] size fields) across from the windgate hotel complete with 500 seat bleachers, lights, a new softball field, 4 new sand volleyball courts, and a support building with locker rooms bathrooms, storage and offices. a 2.5 mile flat, non-technical cross-country loop will also be built.

And the water towers are for supply water (drinking) - I don't know what you are smelling over there, I hope it's not the water.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
i can attest to the smell. i have whiffed it on occassion, and luconn is right, it is fierce.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:i can attest to the smell. i have whiffed it on occassion, and luconn is right, it is fierce.
I can agree as well. The first time I thought it was just a passenger in my car, but then the next few times I realised it was the same smell and same place, so there is definitely something going on there. I typically only drunk bottled water while living in Lynchburg, thankfully.
ATrain wrote:
LUminary wrote:i can attest to the smell. i have whiffed it on occassion, and luconn is right, it is fierce.
I can agree as well. The first time I thought it was just a passenger in my car, but then the next few times I realised it was the same smell and same place, so there is definitely something going on there. I typically only drunk bottled water while living in Lynchburg, thankfully.
I can also testify to this...it smells bad
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I think anyone who has exited off of 460 onto Candler's Mountain Rd. with any regularity knows this smell. I feel like every other morning for the better part of the last eight years I have smelled this smell. Awful.
By logic
Thoughts on a free standing business building? This is one college where I would love to see LU really excel. Most world class universities have a dedicated business building and now that we have the money I see no reason why we shouldn't.

While DeMoss is functional, do not underestimate the effect on recruiting that dedicated, stand alone academic buildings have on the best and brightest minds. In my opinion academics differs little from athletics as new and better facilities help recruit better students.

We hear all the time about "being for evangelicals what BYU is for Mormons and Notre Dame is for Catholics."

Here is an area where we can put our money where our mouth is and we have some catching up to do as Notre Dame's business school is ranked 3rd in the country and BYU is ranked 7th.

BYU's Marriott School of Management - http://marriottschool.byu.edu/location? ... eAreaId=62. Named Marriott after a 15 million dollar gift from the hotel empire founder J. Willard Marriott.

Notre Dame's Mendoza - http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/ori ... a-full.jpg

Obviously a dedicated business building with all the latest bells and whistles will not produce a top ranked business school right away, but my guess is there are a lot of good Christian kids (and great business students) at a place like Texas (top 15 ranked business school) that would have come to LU if we could offer a Texas like experience.

Now Sly that may be far off but it also could be sooner than any of us could ever imagine, especially if/when football goes FBS and keeps winning and campus is updated and beautified.

If anyone has ever stepped foot on Notre Dame's campus you'll quickly see we have a lot of work to do in that department as well. While we love "functional," the best and brightest students love great programs and a beautiful campus - I really hope we do a great job here in the next four years as we are already behind the 8-ball - having a four lane highway split your campus and having train tracks / rail yard on the other side.....

Could we tunnel the tracks and put 460 on the other side of Liberty Mountain? We sure could use all that space that 460 takes up!
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
We are working toward several free standing schools. Business is definitely on the list. First, we need to create a different atmosphere on campus with less asphalt, more grass, more trees, and fewer metal buildings. That is the first step and we are moving on that in a big way.

The road across from the Wingate was used to get the drill rig trucks in to test for rock. Amazingly, we found very little rock. However, we decided not to build any athletic/intramural fields on the site, at least, not now. Instead, we are installing turf on the existing IM fields at the south end of East Campus. The field behind Hancock will also get turf and lights. The IM fields in Campbell County (beyond the fields next to Campus East) will also be lighted. With those improvements, we will finally have enough fields to meet the demand for club sports, intramural and athletic needs (including women's field hockey and lacrosse).

A new softball facility is also in the works.

Athletic administration is going into the football tower only temporarily until the School of Worship is relocated to DeMoss. David's Place will likely be the final destination for athletic administration.

I'll be up a little while longer if anyone has anymore questions. Thanks for all your comments!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Is David's Place going to be replaced, remodeled, added onto, or anything like that when athletics moves in over there? A new, top of the line athletics admin building over there would be the icing on the cake to all of the new facilities on that part of campus.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Oh, and since you're here already, what's going to happen with the seminary? I know at one point it was going to be moved to the old TRBC and that was scrapped. Dr. Towns has been talking about a free standing building and raising money for that but there's no telling if that's serious "right now" type of talk or if that's more of a "down the line" talk. Is there anything happening any time soon?
By JLFJR
Registration Days Posts
Sure it will but we are not sure what LU uses will be located along US 460/29. We might go ahead and level some of the site for future use now while construction costs are low but no plans are finalized. It is great land for the future growth of LU. That is the only thing that is certain.
By logic
So good to hear that business is on the list for a free standing building!! And I agree about the metal buildings - more DeMoss style / football style brick and mortar would look great!!!

I love this place!!!!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wrote:SJ, we definitely will upgrade David's Place for Athletics. I don't think it would be that difficult to make it a first class facility.
Agreed completely. Just wasn't sure what the plans were.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]