This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 10th, 2023, 12:09 am I wonder when that bridge connecting the baseball field parking lot and the new multipurpose facility will be completed?
I drove under the bridge today after work. I think all they need to do is add the STAIRS and do some landscaping around it.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By Ill flame
Just as a recap mostly for myself, we've finished the following projects recently.

- Williams Stadium renovation
- multipurpose facility
- Hydaway lake expansion

And these projects will finish in the fall
- new dining facility
- Jerry Falwell center

Which leaves the new dorms and parking garage as the only projects remaining a year from now. Any thoughts on what project might be announced next? I realize they just announced a project 2 months ago but we all know they always have several in progress at any given time. Have they announced what they will do with the old dining facility?
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote:Just as a recap mostly for myself, we've finished the following projects recently.

- Williams Stadium renovation
- multipurpose facility
- Hydaway lake expansion

And these projects will finish in the fall
- new dining facility
- Jerry Falwell center

Which leaves the new dorms and parking garage as the only projects remaining a year from now. Any thoughts on what project might be announced next? I realize they just announced a project 2 months ago but we all know they always have several in progress at any given time. Have they announced what they will do with the old dining facility?[/quote

The last plan had the school of nursing having a building built on that spot. I kinda hope that is still true.
By cruzan_flame13
That is correct @soccer7, that was the project lol caption for the school of nursing in the old master plan in 2015-2016. Since it's said that they have another blueprint, who knows what'll happen next. I recall them stating of a school for honors student being built between the hill dorms and freedom tower. That would've been interesting especially for @Cider Jim 8) :lol:. For right now lets hope the next change on campus is a new president and then continue campus expansion.
Just John liked this
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:48 pm That is correct @soccer7, that was the project lol caption for the school of nursing in the old master plan in 2015-2016. Since it's said that they have another blueprint, who knows what'll happen next. I recall them stating of a school for honors student being built between the hill dorms and freedom tower. That would've been interesting especially for @Cider Jim 8) :lol:. For right now lets hope the next change on campus is a new president and then continue campus expansion.
By Ill flame
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:31 pm I had heard engineering to the current cafeteria but could be wrong on that.
Feels like the engineering department gets jerked around more than any other. They announced that new building that was supposed to be next to the school of business but mysteriously got dropped. They also have that "research park" but they don't seem to be in a hurry to do much with that either. Whatever it ends up being, it seems like the logical next step would be to replace the old dining facility.
By Tothehoopyall1
They could provide a large, new academic building where the current cafeteria is. A 5-6 story building there could provide lots of space for departments that need it. I've often wondered why they only went up 5 stories on the garage behind the cafeteria. I wonder if more floors could be added.
By BlueBlood
I'm still upset that they are building the Jerry Falwell Center right in front of Hancock. Seems totally unnecessary. Hancock sitting on top of the hill by itself was one of the classiest looks on campus.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Chippy, LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:42 am I'm still upset that they are building the Jerry Falwell Center right in front of Hancock. Seems totally unnecessary. Hancock sitting on top of the hill by itself was one of the classiest looks on campus.

They are building it behind Hancock
By cruzan_flame13
Doesn't make it better. That's why I stated that we need a new president and hopefully some changes on the board orlf trustees before LU agree on any new campus projects. It's annoying that they're building only on areas that is already remodel when they have more land. It's called Liberty University not Liberty College. It's supposed to be spread out with easier connection to the area.
LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
ballcoach15 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:35 pm
BlueBlood wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:42 am I'm still upset that they are building the Jerry Falwell Center right in front of Hancock. Seems totally unnecessary. Hancock sitting on top of the hill by itself was one of the classiest looks on campus.

They are building it behind Hancock
Understood. However, it's not like the "back side" (if you want to call it that) faces a dumpster-lined alley. The side they are building in front of was arguably the prettier side. The same applies to the College of Osteopathic Medicine Building (where the side we see from campus is technically the back side).

It is just foolish to build one of the most beautiful buildings on campus and then cover it up.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:59 pm Doesn't make it better. That's why I stated that we need a new president and hopefully some changes on the board orlf trustees before LU agree on any new campus projects. It's annoying that they're building only on areas that is already remodel when they have more land. It's called Liberty University not Liberty College. It's supposed to be spread out with easier connection to the area.
It seems pretty short sighted to spread out all the building if we are trying to triple the student population. Especially when this school can't stay on the same master plan long enough for a freshman to graduate before drastically changing their mind. It makes the most sense to maximize the space on main campus to allow for changes in plans to the remaining land. I'd like to see them demo everything south of residential commons II and III and cram a bunch of 10 story dorms into that space with a new parking garage. The more often students can walk everywhere the better.
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:36 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:59 pm Doesn't make it better. That's why I stated that we need a new president and hopefully some changes on the board orlf trustees before LU agree on any new campus projects. It's annoying that they're building only on areas that is already remodel when they have more land. It's called Liberty University not Liberty College. It's supposed to be spread out with easier connection to the area.
It seems pretty short sighted to spread out all the building if we are trying to triple the student population. Especially when this school can't stay on the same master plan long enough for a freshman to graduate before drastically changing their mind. It makes the most sense to maximize the space on main campus to allow for changes in plans to the remaining land. I'd like to see them demo everything south of residential commons II and III and cram a bunch of 10 story dorms into that space with a new parking garage. The more often students can walk everywhere the better.
The students can walk anywhere on that campus, from Green hall to the far end east parking lot. It is actually in my opinion short sided to stack everything in one area especially when there's a vision to expand residential students. Completing sections or precincts one at a time is a goal and great for advertising. LU should want to show that we are very serious in what we are doing; I thought the mission was to establish a world class university? Yes it will take time, but like I said before, we have a better opportunity than most universities, who had to wait a decades, a century or more just to get the backing to establish their previous university. With that being said, I've mentioned many times before that it would be great to remodel the south side first with dorms, a little commercial store like the key hole from back in the day, maybe a school and a car garage. Then LU can continue onto the other side across the bridge on the east where the big parking spaces are located. That's gradually spreading out for the long term goal. I'll also add that online should not be the long term goal, esoecially when censorship is becoming more and more a concern in western civilisation. I believe this should be the goal of the new president.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:The students can walk anywhere on that campus, from Green hall to the far end east parking lot. It is actually in my opinion short sided to stack everything in one area especially when there's a vision to expand residential students. Completing sections or precincts one at a time is a goal and great for advertising. LU should want to show that we are very serious in what we are doing; I thought the mission was to establish a world class university? Yes it will take time, but like I said before, we have a better opportunity than most universities, who had to wait a decades, a century or more just to get the backing to establish their previous university. With that being said, I've mentioned many times before that it would be great to remodel the south side first with dorms, a little commercial store like the key hole from back in the day, maybe a school and a car garage. Then LU can continue onto the other side across the bridge on the east where the big parking spaces are located. That's gradually spreading out for the long term goal. I'll also add that online should not be the long term goal, esoecially when censorship is becoming more and more a concern in western civilisation. I believe this should be the goal of the new president.
If online goes away, you can kiss any and all new projects goodbye. I understand the sentiment regarding censorship, but what you're talking about isn't possible unless you sell the online program to an outside party. Also, not sure I understand the comments about LU needing to show it's serious and building a world class university, etc. They've invested well over $1B in new campus construction in the past 15 years, and they continue to build additional facilities. In addition, the technology, materials and design put into these facilities are the definition of world class. There's a clear difference between what you see at most colleges/universities on the east coast and what you see at LU. Where I think we can do better is on the recruitment side and our Academic programs as a whole. For some reason we have opted for quantity over quality in regard to students and academic programs. Expanding to 50K is that philosophy on steroids. I can see 20-25K at most, but 50K makes zero sense to me.
By tyndal23
Per Flames Central Podcast - Ian stated next 2 athletic facilities are:

1. - baseball pitching lab ( I am interested to see where it would go in relation to current stadium/locker room). Apparently Vanderbilt, WF, Baylor and is catching on around P5 as latest “ must have”.

2. Golf practice facility ? ( I think I heard him correctly - he sort of mumbled ) seems like we have a pretty nice one already ?

Good stuff.
By Ill flame
A pitching lab doesn't need to take much space so they may be able to fit it into existing facilities. Not many schools have that yet so it should be a big recruiting advantage.

I wonder if the plan is to build an indoor golf facility. They aren't uncommon in the big ten and other northern P5s but otherwise there aren't many. A good indoor facility could be a difference maker for us in that sport.
By Baybird
tyndal23 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:08 am Per Flames Central Podcast - Ian stated next 2 athletic facilities are:

1. - baseball pitching lab ( I am interested to see where it would go in relation to current stadium/locker room). Apparently Vanderbilt, WF, Baylor and is catching on around P5 as latest “ must have”.

2. Golf practice facility ? ( I think I heard him correctly - he sort of mumbled ) seems like we have a pretty nice one already ?

Good stuff.
https://www.wakeforestpitchinglab.com/
By AATL
The current indoor golf facility is pretty small. With the land Liberty has at their disposal, I'm also surprised they don't have their own practice course.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]