This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUOrange
BlueBlood wrote: October 12th, 2023, 3:21 pm IMO, a library, a highway and grave/eternal flame is enough. And I mean no disrespect at all in saying that - I'm extremely grateful for his vision and that my kids are at the school that he founded.
I have no problem with the JF Center, just the location. Especially, when the Church he built and that he used to build the University is being under-utilized and leased out. But I think Liberty should honor it's founder with a facility similar to the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, and if you haven't made it to the BG Library, I highly recommend it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
My guess is the lawsuit had to have at least slowed down progress.
[/quote]

Progress has not only slowed down, the construction company has packed up tools and equipment, and deserted the site. It looks like an abandoned construction site. If this was springtime, weeds would be growing on the site.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 12th, 2023, 4:22 pm Let's hope Prevo has no say in much of anything these days.

Weren’t Junior and the main Contruction contractor joined at the hip?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 8:40 pm
Sly Fox wrote: October 12th, 2023, 4:22 pm Let's hope Prevo has no say in much of anything these days.

Weren’t Junior and the main Contruction contractor joined at the hip?
At some point I think that happened, yes
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
They need to cancel that project. I really don’t understand why Prevo even wants it? They need to focus on academics and the spiritual life on campus, including their own administration. Senior’s namesake is all over the place on that campus. We aren’t forgetting him or his vision anytime soon.
PAmedic, ballcoach15, ATrain liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Wasn't the Jerry Falwell Center his idea ? I'm thinking he started it when he was interim President, but I might be wrong.

Pave the site and make a parking lot. Now it looks like an abandoned commercial project. Bad eye score on campus.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jr is the one who birthed the idea and then crapped on it once he was on the outside looking in as part as his spat with the University.

Anyways, Prevo is still very much involved in LU matters and it is clear there is nobody on the board or within the LU leadership structure that have the ability to make any real changes. Even Jr was hanging out with current LU leadership during the bowl weekend. There is just no backbone or attempt to really change anything. Just window dressing.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am giving Gen. Costin the benefit of the doubt at this stage. Coming in from the outside it would have been tough to identify the utter dysfunction on the board and the administration. He's only been on campus for half a year. He's likely made most of his necessary assessments but has yet to start implementing the necessary changes. Like most of you, I am watching and waiting.
Baybird, ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 17th, 2024, 3:34 pm I just don't have the patience for it anymore. Jr hanging around LU leadership at the bowl game really rubbed me the wrong way.
He was like a rock star at the game. But kind of a Pyrrha at the pep rally (according to sources lol)
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:56 pm
thepostman wrote: January 17th, 2024, 3:34 pm I just don't have the patience for it anymore. Jr hanging around LU leadership at the bowl game really rubbed me the wrong way.
He was like a rock star at the game. But kind of a Pyrrha at the pep rally (according to sources lol)
Pyrrha or pariah????
By Ill flame
ATrain wrote: January 18th, 2024, 5:55 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 17th, 2024, 8:56 pm
Pyrrha or pariah????
I think it's spelled piranha.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
There is a a very positive article (with pictures) about the latest construction projects on campus that was just published Thursday on the LU website. It describes in detail the 3 biggest projects:

1. Commons 4 dorm--9 stories with 654 beds next to Commons 3 (aka the Shoe)
2. Third parking garage--7 stories on holding 1,500 cars North Campus location behind the ice rink
3. Major expansion of Hydaway Lake--from 6 acres to 31 acres
Last edited by Cider Jim on January 20th, 2024, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATrain liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 20th, 2024, 4:29 pm There is a a very positive article (with pictures) about the latest construction projects on campus that was just published Thursday on the LU website. It describes in detail the 3 biggest projects:

1. Commons 4 dorm--9 stories with 654 beds next to Commons 3 (aka the Shoe)
2. Third parking garage--7 stories on holding 1,500 cars North Campus location behind the ice rink
3. Major expansion of Lake Hydaway--from 6 acres to 31 acres
I find it odd that they did not have the Jerry Falwell Center in that article. That has to be the most puzzling construction project in history.

As I was riding by JFC location yesterday, a good thought entered my mind: Pave over the site and make a parking lot for softball.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on January 22nd, 2024, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: January 20th, 2024, 9:45 pm Time to catch up with the CO schools ?

The style of the lacrosse field is what LU should do for their fields. It fits with the architecture of the other athletic fields on campus.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: January 20th, 2024, 9:45 pm Time to catch up with the CO schools ?

It would be kind of hard to justify it for a club team but If/when we move up to D1 in hockey I'd love to see us build a new hockey arena in that parking lot west of the LIC similar to that first picture. The LIC is probably the nicest club hockey arena in the country but it would be below average by D1 standards from the arenas I've seen. There's certainly demand for a second sheet of ice with 5 club hockey teams, the figure skating teams and various other teams across the community all currently sharing one facility. They are currently charging $290 an hour for ice time :shock:
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]