This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Old Red wrote:Anybody heard if the bookstore has a new partnership or is being renamed?
I noticed that they’ve taken all the signage & lettering off the front of the building.
I was wondering the same. The sign across the back and side of the building that said “Liberty University Book Store” have also been removed.

In other news, I spoke with one of the planning and construction guys today and he said they will be completing the striping if the “new road” adjacent to 460 this weekend and that it will be open to two way traffic on Monday.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Old Red wrote:Anybody heard if the bookstore has a new partnership or is being renamed?
I noticed that they’ve taken all the signage & lettering off the front of the building.
My Father-in-law noticed that it now says "Barnes & Noble." The bookstore has been B&N for well over a decade, so just a name change.

B&N started as a college bookstore. It grew to include non college stores and then split into two companies. The last I heard, they had merged back again. This may be related to that since the bookstore was with the college side of things.
JK37 wrote:Aren’t there plans eventually to move the current bookstore and build a bigger new one?
Books are so 20th Century
JK37 wrote:Aren’t there plans eventually to move the current bookstore and build a bigger new one?
I’ve heard that there were plans to place the school of engineering there but I wouldn’t take that as fact. I believe they’re still doing work at the other area that LU had started on.
Class of 20Something wrote:
rogers3 wrote:So when will LU's appetite for needless accumulation of property be satiated? Now, the old Kmart is under LU's ownership. While we seem intent on being stewards of our student's loan proceeds, we certainly have very little to show in the way of responsible utilization of our external properties- unless overflow parking lots are considered attractive holdings. At least LU is forced to pay property tax on these purchases, because they are detrimental to our community, otherwise.
I(my wife) want Hobby Lobby to open up in the old K-Mart. But like SumItUp said, it's long term income. Liberty has told the remaining employees at River Ridge they will be moved before years end. I expect they will start working towards finding tenants for their properties soon.
I am going to credit my wife for calling Hobby Lobby back in June about the property.
alabama24 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote: The fact that this map and the master plan is still uploaded online makes me believe that there’s more to come in the 2020’s
:dontgetit
That happens with a lot of his posts :D He’s like The Millenial version of ballcoach
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
DeMoss is even bigger than the new business building, I think.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:DeMoss is even bigger than the new business building, I think.
I would imagine that DeMoss is 5-6 times larger than the business school building. When I was doing service work for the school, DeMoss hall was more than 100,000 sq ft on its single floor. It has added floors since then and the Business School building is listed as being 78,000 sf.
News regarding the School of Engineering building. Will break ground this fall, be ready in a couple years. I've heard in the past that it will be built in the bookstore parking lot, but the article says "across from DeMoss Hall".
The artist rendering is a little underwhelming, but maybe that's because the standard has been set so high.

https://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=18495&mid=312334

By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
You could start with a school in Waco.

https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunicati ... tory=81507
"This is a thrill for our coaches, our staff, our student-athletes and, really, the entire Baylor Family," said Ian McCaw, Baylor University's director of athletics. "The addition of Getterman Indoor Softball Facility is going to give us the edge we need to continue to thrive well into the future and continue to build this program."
https://baylorbears.com/sports/2018/5/1 ... -html.aspx
In the fall of 2010, the Getterman Indoor Hitting Facility was finished. The state-of-the-art building is a 10,000 square foot, climate controlled indoor hitting/fielding facility located off the first base line. With a floor made entirely of New Turf, the Lady Bears can take a full infield with bases and pitching circle at regulation. In addition, a video system allows for swing-by-swing analysis that can be played on a full size video screen.
Love it Ballcoach - get out ahead of P5 schools any where you can and SB Program already earned it - I watch every game I can last 3 years and find it way more compelling than baseball due to pace. Hope they make it to OKC for the big one soon so I can go watch them in person.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]