This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Driving past the new cafeteria today, I noticed a whole flat bed truck loaded down with rolled up sod.
By Ill flame
flamehunter wrote: July 6th, 2023, 4:14 pm
Cider Jim wrote: July 6th, 2023, 3:45 pm Driving past the new cafeteria today, I noticed a whole flat bed truck loaded down with rolled up sod.
Interesting menu item, but whatever. :lol:
Rumor is we are about to sign Les Miles as an assistant and this was part of his contract since our field is turf.
flamehunter liked this
By Veritas
More campus update photos on the LU Facebook page (for those non-locals like me). I found this particular photo interesting:

Assuming this is a much-needed update of dorm 33? With the recent updated roofs of dorms 25-28, I guess this means the master bulldozer isn't coming for this area in the near future.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote: July 19th, 2023, 11:36 am More campus update photos on the LU Facebook page (for those non-locals like me). I found this particular photo interesting:

Assuming this is a much-needed update of dorm 33? With the recent updated roofs of dorms 25-28, I guess this means the master bulldozer isn't coming for this area in the near future.
Elevator is finally completed.
By cruzan_flame13
Veritas wrote: July 19th, 2023, 11:36 am More campus update photos on the LU Facebook page (for those non-locals like me). I found this particular photo interesting:

A little disappointing but who knows. LU depending on their online enrollment percentage is a big risk long term, but then again, it was a risk from the beginning as well. Not sure if that'll help with advancing academic classification. I know we accept about anyone, allegedly, but I wonder how many applications that LU deny in the past 5 years for residential?
By BlueBlood
Keeping some of the old dorms has allowed LU to offer students a pretty wide range of housing options. Commons is about $4K higher than the lowest price options.
By BlueBlood
In other news, I can't find a construction camera for Commons IV. Has anyone else? You used to be able to see it with the Dining Hall camera, but they removed that one.
By BlueBlood
Sorry to start a controversy. I just called it IV because that is what the school has been calling it. I do agree that the nomenclature is odd - given that IV is based on the same plans as III, will be connected to III, and will actually sit closer to III than the two sections of III are to each other.

If somebody starts a petition to keep it as part of III - I'll sign.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: July 19th, 2023, 6:39 pm (I have heard both things... and it does appear that it might be connected to Commons III)
Does that mean the dorm will no longer be shaped like a HORSE SHOE??? The residents have called it the "SHOE" since it opened!
By BlueBlood
Yes, and also confusing is that every article says 10-stories tall and every picture looks like 7, maybe 8 tops.

Also, they have shown 3 or 4 totally different pictures of what the Falwell Center is going to look like.
By BlueBlood
tyndal23 wrote: August 10th, 2023, 11:53 am Commons cam up, renderings do show 10 stories.

https://www.liberty.edu/about/?construction-cam=luch-4
Much better rendering than what they used earlier, and yes - now showing 10 stories. Here is the prior rendering (which interestingly, was part of an article that said 10-stories - so you knew one of the two things was wrong.)

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2022/11/16 ... ng-garage/
By BlueBlood
I was at the Sam Houston game. While on campus, I noticed that the Jerry Falwell Center (announced Oct 2021) construction doesn't look much different than it did last football season. They are still playing in the dirt. I'd be fine if they just pushed the dirt closed and restored the hill.

Commons IV (announced Nov 2022) has clearly moved way in front of the JFC. It is now 5 stories tall. North Campus Parking Garage (announced Jan 2023) may also soon pass the JFC.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
BlueBlood wrote: October 12th, 2023, 2:07 pm I was at the Sam Houston game. While on campus, I noticed that the Jerry Falwell Center (announced Oct 2021) construction doesn't look much different than it did last football season. They are still playing in the dirt. I'd be fine if they just pushed the dirt closed and restored the hill.

Commons IV (announced Nov 2022) has clearly moved way in front of the JFC. It is now 5 stories tall. North Campus Parking Garage (announced Jan 2023) may also soon pass the JFC.
IMO, the old TRBC, even if they had to buy it back, would be a better option for the Jerry Falwell Center. The old TRBC should remain with and used by Liberty.
ATrain liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]