This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'll be honest. I'm surprised it didn't get replaced years ago. I know it has had some renovations over the years but it didn't really get THAT much better.

But the Rot will always hold a special place in my heart. Greasy food and late night meals. Ahhh the memories.
ATrain liked this
By BlueBlood
There might be more paint coming later, but so far it sure looks like they are painting the "institutional" LU on the Vines roof instead of the "athletics" LU Eagle.

When the plans originally came out with the athletics logo on the roof, I thought it might be a sign that, despite what they are saying publicly, some occasional basketball games in the Vines wasn't out of the question (I mean, why would you put the athletics logo on the roof of a building you never intend to use for athletics?)

So, I'm a little disappointed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When the "right opponent" visits LU, the Vines Center will be used again for basketball, in my opinion.

also we must hold Vines in reserve for when we get in ACC or Big 12.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:18 am When the "right opponent" visits LU, the Vines Center will be used again for basketball, in my opinion.

also we must hold Vines in reserve for when we get in ACC or Big 12.
I disagree. More isn’t always better. Look at Cameron Indoor.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By BlueBlood
olldflame wrote: November 10th, 2020, 12:12 pm It's pretty funny how people continue to cling to this idea when everything that the school has said and done says it won't happen.
Said - yes, Done - not sure about that.

Like I said above, the only reason I thought it might be possible was because the renderings that LU distributed of the new Vines roof showed the athletics logo on it, not the school logo. My thought was - why would they put an athletics logo on a building that they never intend to use again for athletics?
jinxy liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm The only way we go back to the Vines is if and when we can sell it out every game.
If and when that time comes, I think they will be building something new. I don't see us ever going back to switching back and forth in the Vines again. They will need to decide whether that new facility will be for basketball or for convo. My guess is they build for convo so they can keep all basketball operations together in one complex.
BlueBlood, stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I was talking to someone who used to be in the athletics department, the language he used was they would have to “take it back from Nasser.” So, yeah, I can see them building something convo-specific. Besides, Vines can’t hold all the students anymore.
By cruzan_flame13
That is true, residetial students have increased some. After reading an article about the expansion of the lake by Camp Hydaway, they are interesting in increasing the student population up to 25k. This will include new majors/minors (academics) and usage for athletic sports and community events. Going back on the topic of Vines, I don't see them using that arena for basketball anymore and I'm okay with that.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote:I was talking to someone who used to be in the athletics department, the language he used was they would have to “take it back from Nasser.” So, yeah, I can see them building something convo-specific. Besides, Vines can’t hold all the students anymore.
I've got a size 12 that I'd be glad to put to good use to get that fool away from Liberty for good.
flameshaw, ballcoach15 liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:56 pm I was talking to someone who used to be in the athletics department, the language he used was they would have to “take it back from Nasser.” So, yeah, I can see them building something convo-specific. Besides, Vines can’t hold all the students anymore.
I doubt if it çan hold Nasser's ego, either.
flameshaw liked this
By cruzan_flame13
badger74 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 8:07 pm I think the athletics logo badly needs an update. Too much going on. Screams small time. Most majors have very simple logos. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11
You do know that link is from 2014 when we were still FCS right? We are coming up from under the top two known grandfather schools in Virginia (UVA/VA Tech). We have to grow on this year in order to gain full respect every season. Nonetheless, I am interested in other creative logos that could help the brand.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 9:17 am He needs to "go".
I resisted the temptation to tell Prevo that today for a few reasons.
1. My opinion wouldn't matter.
2. I know his thinking on the subject.
3. It ultimately should not be Prevo's decision. It should be the new guy who will be the Spiritual Chancellor. (Or whatever they are going to call that position).
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 8:59 pm More construction coming since they're going grow residential to 25k( just wanted to slowly bring back the conversation :lol: )
Have they said what the timeline will be to grow residential to 25k or how their planning on accomplishing that? I think it's a great idea and would put us at about the same size or bigger than most FBS schools.
By cruzan_flame13
Ill flame wrote: November 14th, 2020, 10:04 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 8:59 pm More construction coming since they're going grow residential to 25k( just wanted to slowly bring back the conversation :lol: )
Have they said what the timeline will be to grow residential to 25k or how their planning on accomplishing that? I think it's a great idea and would put us at about the same size or bigger than most FBS schools.
I don't see an exact timeline but they'll have to build more forms to start the process. In the last no I will post below, it states that it's a desire to grow to 25k(top of pg11). That means that it will come to fruition, possibly when they reach a good spot once they expand the lake by camp Hydaway. Sounds like it's more than just an expanded lake, but also a dam:

https://usace.contentdm.oclc.org/digita ... 7/id/13330

FYI: This was revised and updated in December 2019-January 2020. Will they do all of this? I'm not sure, but I believe they're already working on the expansion of the lake.
By Ill flame
I wish they were more transparent about how they plan to move forward with construction. Expanding the lake is great but they will need to do a lot more than that to almost double the student population. I'm curious what push they will take to accomplish that goal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There are plans to enlarge the lake. There are also plans to build indoor practice facility for softball.

If on campus enrollment is increased, we're going to need acres of additional parking, or several more parking garages.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 8:23 pm
badger74 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 8:07 pm I think the athletics logo badly needs an update. Too much going on. Screams small time. Most majors have very simple logos. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11
You do know that link is from 2014 when we were still FCS right? We are coming up from under the top two known grandfather schools in Virginia (UVA/VA Tech). We have to grow on this year in order to gain full respect every season. Nonetheless, I am interested in other creative logos that could help the brand.
Yes, so?? It just shows other logos from Majors around the USA.
You dont need to be special to have a good logo.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]